How to get rid of depression?

How to get rid of depression?

Luz Cotto-Charneski, LCSW

As your therapist I will help guide and support your unique process of self-discovery. I will witness you reclaim your voice and find a life of fulfillment, purpose, and ease.

Ametrine
With the right combination of therapy, coping mechanisms, self care, and potentially medication--i believe you can relieve a lot of the symptoms.
SophiaListensToYou
I think you can't really get rid of depression. It won't just disappear. But you can absolutely manage it to the point where it feels like it's completely gone. I have depression and I've been recovering for about a year. It's gotten so much better. I barely ever get really depressed
GermanZebraCupcake
It is a disease that is chemical in nature, so it's really no different than, for example, diabetes. You will have it for life but you can control the symptoms and get to a better place emotionally. You won't be sad or empty forever. :)
LauraB15
The simple answer is no. The more complex answer is that depression is manageable. Those who suffer from depression know that it is always lurking inside of them, waiting to take over and make them feel helpless. Having depression means fighting a constant battle to remain in control of yourself, constantly fighting with positive thoughts, renouncing negative thoughts, and dealing with negative feelings in a healthy way.
GirlsNeedGirls
Getting rid of depression is hard but if you believe in yourself you can do it. You cant cure depression in one day but you can cure it taking baby steps and by seeking help.
Anonymous
No, you can't but you can get your mind off it by finding a hobby or talking to someone. It always helps to talk to someone.
Anonymous
there are a number of ways to escape depression, although seeking professional help would be best. First and foremost, surround yourself with positive people and things that make YOU happy. there is absolutely nothing wrong with putting yourself first. always remember that. YOU should matter most to you.
heartfulApricot25
Yes, you can definitely get over depression.. depression is not real.. it is just a feeling.. and like all feelings this too shall passs. you just gotta learn to let go certain things.. :)
Anonymous
Depression takes time to get rid off. Thinking positive is hard and sometimes when we confine In people we feel that much more alone due to them not fully understanding. I believe the best way to be happy is to find inner peace and know every thing is temp good things and bad. That's how life is. You only live once, and you know how this life is. Who really knows if the after life is better. Could be way worse. Try to focus on something that makes you happy or even try getting a pet, but talking to someone may even help.
complexdesign1
Yes. 450 Million people suffer from mental illness each year, and that in itself is not the tragedy, it's that a fair portion of it is totally treatable. Many factors can affect the likelihood of getting rid of depression, for example its severity. One of the best things you can do is see an expert (such as a psychologist, or simply talk to your doctor). One of the best things you can do is identify the causes of your depression, which can greatly aid in both treating (and quite possibly getting rid of) depression for good.
Anonymous
You can get rid of depression though it's not a promise it will be easy. In my case, I still have difficulties with it, but I am slowly overcoming it. Others could get over it faster then I, but there is always the chance if getting rid of depression.
Anonymous
Yes! depression is shown to be maintained through taking a negative perspective in life. By being able to look at all the darkness and sadness around you and change it into a different perspective (i.e., seeing bad things as challenge rather than you're fated to suffer), then it might be able to help lessen the depression overtime.
Anonymous
there is different types of depression, and some can be treated or less severe. To fully know you're symptoms and what is in your future I would recommend seeing a professional, like a dr or therapist.
Sara5
You can live with depression ,but you can't get rid of it..Depression when comes ,does not go never.
HereToListen2You
Come to terms with yourself, figure out what triggers this feeling? Tell someone about it, they could help you figure a way out! :D
brightHorizon87
Definitely, first through physical activity and then by getting help through a therapist to figure out what it is that is blocking you from feeling positive about yourself, others and the world.
Jenniiy
Sure I guess. Treatment is very successful. And even without a professional you can cope with depression and even get rid of it. I think that swallowing all these bad emotions would burst your 'inner ballon' at some point. So it's important to talk about it.
4you247
There is absolutely always a way out. You just have to find the right way out for you, which can be hard, but possible. And coping strategies can help until this comes! Don't lose hope, and listeners are always here to help :)
stronger10
I think it's more about replacing the bad days with good days. The bad days become fewer, and the good days become more numerous. Focus on the present, the now, but always have hope!
Anonymous
yes, you can. it takes the will to really want to get better, the right people around you, patience and a lot of work. having a professional like a psychologist or a therapist by your side is the most helpful and probably most important step to recovery though.
VARabbit
Yes. If you don't believe in yourself that you can, however, you never will. Depression feeds on your negative thoughts. Know that this is not permanent, and that you are stronger than that. Don't let something like this take the fun away from your life. And know that only you yourself can cure it, because all it takes is for you to listen to the advice you get and turn your depression into joy, and that nobody else can force that on you.
TheBrightestKitten
I don't believe you ever can permanently. That being said there are certainly ways to manage, cope and treat with depression.
peachysunny
yes i thoink so if you bring enought happy things and happy people into your life them you can push th eun happy depression out
ChemicalAshes
Depression can be cured through counseling or maybe even just talking to a good friend about it. It's always safe to save any medication or pills for a worst case scenario, as you don't want to become dependent on it.
Anonymous
Yes! Seeking help is the best answer. Talk about it with your family, tell them that you're feeling downhearted and want to talk to a counsellor.
MissLisa
Absolutely! This is possible however this is dependent upon the type of depression you have. Chronic depression usually stays with a person their entire life, but there are situationally-specific depressions or other depressive episodes that, after time has passed will fade. You can always learn to monitor and control your depression with therapy such as Cogitative Behavioral Therapy, DBT, and ACT which can help you learn how to challenge your thoughts and change your moods. Sport and lifestyle choices such as diet also are contributing factors which aid the reduction of depression as when we exercise and eat well our body release endorphin's which are natural happy hormones!
Anonymous
Yes, with the right help and support. Therapy and/or counseling might help too. Also, being around a lot of negative people and negative thinking will make depression harder to get rid of.
EquusZoe
I think that it can't be completely be gotten rid of, but you can learn to manage it. It will disappear from time to time, but everybody has lows and highs.
Boontea
It will never be gone for good. Or rather it will re-appear. However I think you can learn what strategies help get through it when it does. And the resourses to be more stable and get less hurt by it also grow constantly. Friends, Art (Music, Books, Comics, Movies, Nature....), my Therapist, pets and more.
Gilbertron
It's different for different people. Some, no. Never. Not a chance. Others, maybe. Once depression hits its almost impossible to rid of unless you're really determined to.