How to get things done professionaly at work when I'm very depressed?

Graham Barrone, Adip ICHP, MCBT

If you've found that your quality of life has reduced because of anxiety, fear or some kind of mental hurdle that you just can't get over then lets chat.

comfortableRainbow89
Take off work for a bit and go outside or you can get up from your seat and sit next to a window. Listen to music but you need to get up from your seat. No sitting.
MissLisa
Set yourself small realistic and achievable targets. There is no point making targets which arent realistic and achievable as this is setting yourself up to fail. Have a review date and celebrate every small achievement you make as they all add up! Even if you do not achieve what you wanted to by that date, do not give up because when you do eventually achieve what you had wanted, it will mean even more to you. Even though you are trying to achieve something at work, also take time out for yourself in your own private life as your private life often impacts in your professional life. If you work on being happy in your private life, this will transcend into your working life also. Just give yourself time!
NumberEleven
Separating your emotions from your work can help, set out a plan to complete, one that is both realistic and not too taxing on yourself.
Faithlife
One task at a time. Sometimes directly telling yourself each step. Ex. "Pick up the pen" "sign the paper" "smile" "ask for a moment". Read or ask a friend to read about treating depression if u don't plan on seeing a doctor or if u have a far out appointment. Remember that people heal from depression... it's just a moment and u will get through it.
Owen27
I've found that leaving my problems at the door no matter how difficult it may be, can help me forget about the issues I face and allow me to have a good day, chatting with my co-workers or succeeding with written reports. Hope this small tip can help.
IrishLauren
Set goals however big or small is my key thing. It can be the smallest task but when you're feeling low the smallest thing can change your outlook completely.
Anonymous
Try to don't think about being depressed at work. Maybe it will be easier if you'll think only about your work to do. I know it's hard but it might be possible.
Anonymous
You have to mentally separate your emotions from your professional life. You have to focus on the positive side: You have a job.
presocratics
If you are very depressed, then you might want to take a sick day and speak with a doctor. Otherwise, your plan of action ought to be to ensure that you are eating healthy foods, exercising, sleeping at night, giving attention to the people in your life, staying up-to-date on all of your responsibilities at home, such as financial. Avoid drugs and alcohol. Beyond these basic measures, you can use your senses to stimulate a more positive mood, seek out novelty, take breaks from work to recharge.
kosheiry
No one will be able to help someone if he/she needs help himself/herself. Being depressed means looking or being affected by the negative aspect of something. A quick way to get rid of the effect of depression is shifting focus into something more positive and productive. My personal formula is telling myself that I am being helpful and productive and I should be proud of myself. Whatever is wrong should not stop whatever is right.
Anonymous
It's best to take some deep breaths and try to relax. Practicing mindfulness and meditating can help relax you while in a public area. It's best to not try to push yourself too hard while you are feeling depressed, otherwise your feelings of depression will get worse. So just try to slow down and focus on one task at a time.
Anonymous
being professionally at work is hard when you have troubles/problems. but you must set aside your feeling in work. you should enjoy doing your work, because it can benefit you someday. if you cannot handle your depression I suggest that you should visit a professional therapist to help you.
LinaIsaza
focus on your work and keep your mind busy can help you to deal with the depression :) so, put your mind in work and help you to heal
Angelwings63
When you are depressed you do not think right. It is like any other illness which needs to be fixed before you are able to perform to your full potential. Take time off and get better. That will show you are acting professionally.
muhammeds20
I think I feel more calm when I am going to help other people, Then I will start forget my depressing piecemeal.
Anonymous
I think, the only way is to not emotionally attach to things. Just do it don't think much about it!!
taniaviridiana
When I'm very depressed I try to keep myself busy and be kind and understanding to others, also I try to keep in touch with people I love.
ThatsCherry
Always think about the great times you had/have. It'll cheer you up, it works for me. You can do it!
Anonymous
You have to leave your dirty clothes at home because no one will wash it once you're at work. Don't let depression gets the best of you and always remember if you let depression take over you lose. Keep positive vibes and seek help
AdmirableTree
Focus on your breathing then focus on what you are doing. Extreme emotions steal your focus away from your work but you can also take your focus away from your emotions with your work.
valeriee
Get your mind off the things that worry you and focus on positivity and know that you can do it πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•
Anonymous
I don't know. Just keep doing it. I'm depressed all the time anyway. there is nothing i can do about it.
Breather19
Fake it til you make it. When you got home, cry your heart out and try to connect with anyone as much as possible to suppress the feeling of being lonely.
528Hrz
First of all I guess we should stop feeling sorry for ourselves, we are here, we are alive and we have a job! we like it or not is something we should be proud, it should be something we should appreciate and therefore no letting thing get unbalanced because I'm having a bad day. Since I'm sad, i should try to focus on the other side of my life, on my responsibilities and when I'm getting things done and well done, somehow it will work it's way out. Feeling bad with other part of my life should be a initiative for not letting down other side of my life
Anonymous
Drink some orange juice and watch a few cat videos and make sure you exercise. Those things might be able to cheer you up! :)
Anonymous
Retain a clear and focused head at all times when dealing with work. It may seen difficult in the long run however by having something that you can focus on, it will aid you in your road to recovery.
BlaireMack198
Just focus on the work and try to keep your emotions out of it. sometimes just focusing on the task at hand helps get stuff done without adding emotions to the mix.
crispAngel57
Invest yourself wholeheartedly in your work. Try not to focus on the fact that you are feeling depressed.
Anonymous
If you feeling particularly overwhelmed by the amount of work that you have to do split some of your tasks into smaller tasks and instead of having to do list or in conjunction with having to do list create a 'Achieved' list so that even if you haven't managed to do everything in one day you can see the things that you have accomplished and take pride in that every goal starts small
Anonymous
When feeling depressed or even a little down, you have to first acknowledge that you're not functioning anywhere 100%. Acknowledge that and do the best you can.