How to tell someone you're depressed without saying it?

Sara Radford, MA Clinical Counseling

Within the context of a supportive, collaborative relationship I help clients to explore themselves in a effort to create healing and lasting positive change.

Anonymous
Telling someone you're depressed without saying it could involve simply showing them your feelings rather than trying to disguise them. If you're depressed and don't have the motivation to shower or take care of yourself, others are likely to notice. If your sleeping patterns become erratic and lead to abnormal behavior, those close to you will pick up on it. Things like loss of appetite can become obvious after a time, as well. Most importantly, though, I think is not pretending to be ok. You don't have to put on a happy face to appease anyone or hide your true feelings. People close to you will notice a change in your demeanor and suspect that something is wrong.
3lisa
February 21st, 2016 5:38pm
When you are deppressed there is some changes going on, maybe the way you talk or walk maybe you stopped singing in the shower or stopped laughing at those jokes because there is other things in your mind. The people around you notice something is wrong pretty easy, maybe they ask you "is everything allright?"
Makayla124
February 21st, 2016 9:57pm
You could write a note possibly. Or even just drop little hints here and there or bring the topic up a lot and maybe they will get it. You could also have someone else telk them for you.
AChildAtHeart
write it out. If you don't feel comfortable saying it, it's okay, write a letter to the person who you wanna tell about your depression. If you don't tell them in one way or another, they'll never know that you're struggling with depression. People all have their own problems to deal with so don't expect that they'll spend a great deal of time to figure out what we're thinking/ feeling. You gotta let them know. You deserve help, so don't hesitate tell your loved ones about your depression. With their help, you'll make great progress and the road to recovery will be a lil bit less difficult :)
Anonymous
i have an empty feeling in my stomach and i feel no joy for life anymore. none of my old hobbies interest me now either.
calebny
You can give small hints, but in general, it's not good to hide you feelings. They become repressed, and eventually they blow up. It's good to explain as opposed to just leaving them inside,
SensationalGuy12
March 2nd, 2016 12:52pm
By giving them some sad signs.. or change in behavior in sad ways. Giving them hints for your depression.
Anonymous
March 3rd, 2016 4:17pm
I have been feeling quite down these days. I dont do my usual routine anymore. I spend most of the time in my room, alone, just laying on the bed.
Compassionateandcaring22
sometimes your loved ones may start observing a change in your behaviours and they may figure out that you are depressed, however if you feel the need to communicate , then communicate it to them by talking to them.. If they care about you then for sure they will offer you support and understanding
Anonymous
Write a letter explaining how you feel and emotions. That why if you're anxious you don't have to say it on person.
Anonymous
You can't, as simple as that. Sometimes you have to just sit down with whoever you are telling, and be upfront.
Anonymous
Tell them how your feeling in great detail. Let them know that you've been feeling this way for a while.
Anonymous
Tell them that most of the time you aren't a happy person. That you struggle with staying content and not feeling sad.
JLover
Say you always feel like you're sad, you cry a lot but you don't know why, you often feel like you cannot breathe well.
Anonymous
You can type it out to someone the reasons why your depressed and give them when it had started it in it.
Skygivesyoulight
Emotions. Facial emotions. Sadness in voice. Body gesture. Crying. Sad quotes. It's all about emotions.
AlisaVera
March 22nd, 2016 2:01am
You can initiate the conversation by explaining to the person about your current life situation and how you're going. While you explain how you are doing in your daily life, you can gently explain that you haven't been feeling very positive every day and you can mention how you feel that you are expressing symptoms of depression. So rather than saying it directly you are indicating that you feel that you're sharing the symptoms.
zaix
Honestly, i would just get straight to the point, theres no use in confusing someone with it. it'd be like you saying "hey, i'm depressed but i'm not depressed." whoever you're telling or trying to tell, i would just be completely blunt with them and let them know what is going on with you so they don't start assuming other things and get worried and do something drastic about a problem that doesn't even exist, if you know what i mean. :) just do what you think is the best option for you just weigh out the consequences of the choices.
mroa
Explaining them the symptoms. Telling them that you feel tired, easily distracted, discouraged, that doing things you once loved to do don't give you pleasure anymore and, in some cases, that you don't feel like living is worth it anymore.
rainbug
I'm having a rough time, some mornings I can't find a reason to get out of bed. It's this weight in me that I can't throw off, a limpness, I feel it is consuming all the good things and spitting out the bad.
Anonymous
April 2nd, 2016 1:36am
Write them a letter, if it's too difficult, or put some pamphlets about mental health in places they will come across it ( e.g. mailbox, work desk, common kitchen) that way they could think about what they read and make their own conclusions and that could get the topic started. Starting the conversation is difficult, it gets easier after that.
ShadowAngel15
Sometimes saying it is the best solution. But you could possibly let them know by your actions, you could always say it indirectly.
BlackJack911
She your true feelings. Cry sometimes, Not like a baby, but being really sad. people will know automatically
azimech
from your expression and gesture, you will look like anxious and uncomfortable with everything. maybe you will eat so much or less, depends on your behaviour
KatieWhite
Tell them symptoms that you are experiencing. For example if you're feeling unmotivated let them know. If you give them symptoms they might connect the dots.
NickDB14
I too have tried so hard to think of ways to indirectly imply that I was depressed, but, believe it or not, it turns out that the easiest way is to just go out and say it.
Anonymous
It's better to talk to that someone face to face. When you do talk to that person, talk about difficulties that you face (that are related to depression) - such as feeling hopeless all the time, negative change in lifestyle, and so on. Hopefully the person will get the main message that you're trying to give, but if not, it's okay to just say that you have depression. Having depression is not something that you have to be ashamed of.
SilentScreams2239
Slowly in depth explain your feelings. Saying you're depressed straight up isn't wrong and usually gets the point right away
WOlfDima
Get that sad look on your face. Importantly be nice to that specific person and ask forgiveness intentionally and rapidly until they figure out that something's wrong with you. Don't cry or anything. Just say stuff that has no meaning and sometimes say stuff that Shakespeare would say. They'll definitely ask you "is everything ok?"
vasudha
Tell them! There is no point of hiding it and no other way to let people know. most of the people in this world are not mjnd readers!