How to tell someone you're depressed without saying it?

Sara Radford, MA Clinical Counseling

Within the context of a supportive, collaborative relationship I help clients to explore themselves in a effort to create healing and lasting positive change.

Anonymous
Give them hints by acting depressed, or maybe write it down and give them (the person who you're telling) it
Listensforhelp
There's never a right or a wrong way to tell someone you're depressed. It's as easy as saying hello.
Anonymous
you could try to say that you havent felt happy for however long you have been depressed
GentleWolfPup
I lost interest in my hobbies. I can't concentrate on anything anymore, and everything in my life right now is weighing me down. I'm lost, and confused. And it feels like a dark cloud is surrounding my mind, following me wherever I go, always there... making me sad and lonely.
peacefulIris56
I'm not feeling too well. My mood is a little down right now. I don't have any energy or motivation.
Anonymous
You can tell them what is going on in your life in order to give them an idea of the way that you are feeling
Anonymous
You could write them a letter, send them a text, email. Give them a clue like maybe show them a video about depression or a book so they might catch on?
deedee1909
It's likely that if they know you well enough, they already have there suspicions. You could try and trigger them to suggest it, simply by telling them what is bothering you, making you stressed or anxious or sad. You could alternatively write to them, whether it be a text message or a letter. If you are not wanting to discuss it in person, you can kindly ask that they write you back in the same way, and tell them that you feel uncomfortable speaking about it in person.
Anonymous
I would say that you have been feeling extremely sad recently, and that you would like to seek help about it, I recently did this and it works
Link22
If they are close. You don't need to use "taboo" just pull the person aside at a calm moment. And tell them you need to tell them something. And go for it.
Anonymous
Sometimeswe need to get these things out in the open if we want to continue a healthy relationship with those around us that wee care deeply about so we can all understand eachother
HereToHelpYou742
It depends on who you are telling. Family say something like you may notice that i may not want to talk or be around i don't have the energy to because my mood is down. Friend say something like i may not want not to go out frequently because i dont have enough energy. A mental health professional or doctor just tell them that you are depressed so that they can get you the proper treatment. Most importantly dont beat around the bus the more you do that the worse it will seem when you tell them.
Mytting
I've been having a really bad time for a long time now, nothing seems to go may way. Everything seem to suck. For me it's always raining. Life is out to get me. I don't know how to be happy ever again.
helpfulunicat
Write to them; send them a text; draw a picture of how you feel inside. Show them by being unafraid to cry in front of them and unafraid to show your emotions. But people cant read your mind. You may have to say the words if you want true help
NirvanasEcho
You can start a conversation and wiggle in a sentence about you saying "oh i have been/feeling (say some symptoms of depression)" and hope the get the hint.
Anonymous
Don't straight up ask someone 'are you depressed'. You should try to get them to tell you their depressed, 'are you okay?' 'You don't seem so chirpy today, what's wrong?'
Anonymous
her I'm sorry, I'm broken, I can say I hurt myself. I hope you will understand me. I tell you what my feeling is.
BunnyBop
Instead of straight up saying "I'm depressed" try talking about how you are feeling, if you are feeling in a constant low mood or not. Try listing the symptoms you're feeljng
Anonymous
Tell someone you feel like a certain movie/tv/game character. Like, "I feel like Cinderella because all this house work and loneliness makes me unhappy."
BestFriend74
I just don't feel like I have a lot of energy. I have no motivation either. My life just feels sad..
Anonymous
I feel sad all the time. I cannot get out of be. I struggle with simple daily activities. I need help
crispMonkey47
You sound sad, why would you feel sad. Your doing your best. You need to find why you truly feel this way.
Anonymous
The best way to say anything is to say it outright. Truth, Honesty, Love and Beauty will save the world. Go to your parents, friends, therapist, counselor, doctor, or other trusted professional and say "I'm depressed and I think I may need some help." It's okay. *hug*
Anonymous
All you have to do really is just say that sometimes you get sad extremely sad. But sometimes you hate waking up in the morning or that you get sad a lot. You can say that you're rarely ever happy. And you don't know why because we try to be but it doesn't really work out.
Anonymous
Sometimes the word 'depressed' can be daunting - and saying it out loud can be difficult. Instead, you can find a way to explain how you're feeling in other words that the person can understand. Choose something that best describes how you feel - try something like 'I've been feeling down a lot lately' or 'life has been difficult for me recently'.
Anonymous
I think it is always best to be honest and outright so that the person you are telling has the best chance of fully understanding and supporting you
turtlelyfe
Telling someone you're depressed with saying it is easy enough, people naturally have intuition, you can show them through signs, being quiet, including yourself less etc, however sometimes when you just say it, it can help, tell someone you're close with, someone you trust, good luck!
AureliusHeir
When you talk about the symptoms of depression you can help describe it in a way the feels real, without using the word "depression" which can be loaded with associations. For many people they want to know how you feel, not just a label to put on you.
SineadMarguerite
You don't have to begin with "I'm depressed", but start by explaining how you have been feeling. Tired? Fed up? Low? You may find it easier to write it down, and go to them with a note. If you feel able, starting a conversation can take a great deal of weight of your shoulders, and you can begin to find ways to look after yourself.
Anonymous
This was hard for me at first. I knew for the longest year that I had depression, but I never told a single soul and I even had a difficult time admitting it to myself. So, one day, I told my closest friend how I felt, kind of refusing to say "depression". She knew exactly what was wrong. If you do not feel like actually saying that you have depression, you could simply discuss your symptoms.