How to tell someone you're depressed without saying it?

Sara Radford, MA Clinical Counseling

Within the context of a supportive, collaborative relationship I help clients to explore themselves in a effort to create healing and lasting positive change.

Anonymous
Tell them you feel lonely and you feel that you need help. Tell them you aren't having as much fun with life. You need someone to talk to.
Anonymous
¨Im tired thats all.¨ ¨I just cant seem to be happy all the time.¨ ¨I dont enjoy the thinks I used to and it scares me.¨ ¨Im slowly changing...and im not enjoying this change at all.¨ ¨Im emotionally drained.¨
Anonymous
Show it, through your emotions, your low mood and general negativity of life and help them see you're not as positive or happy as you should be, even if it comes down to showing signs of self harm or abuse on your body...
Anonymous
You shouldn't be embarrassed about being depressed. Why not just say it out loud? It might help you.
Harry53
If you're feeling depressed and you are uncomfortable telling someone you are, rather than saying you are depressed you can describe your symptoms. Depression is quite common and there's no reason to feel embarrassed about that.
Anonymous
I was that "someone" for a long time. For a long time, one of my friends was struggling and I had no clue. The best way to tell them is just to say it. Understand that they cannot always read your mind or pick up on hints. They want to help you, you should let them. Telling them will make you feel better and allow them to help you cope.
Anonymous
You could either write a letter to them so that you don't have to say it or send an email. Saying it in riddles usually don't work. When you say you are sleepy and tired all the time, the person you are telling that to might get the idea that you are lazy.
Anonymous
Recently, I’ve just been in a cloud. I have a history of depression and anxiety but it has never gotten to this point before. I recently had a breakdown at work, one of my closest friends thinks I’m acting wierd and she got upset and mad at me. I feel so distant and out of touch with reality. I can’t tell my friend or I feel like I’ll sound dramatic or needy. I don’t want to talk to anyone because then some people worry and some people will think I’m needy or weak or something. Idk wht to do or who to turn to. So that’s why I’m here.
Anonymous
Say ur feeling down and need help or write a note or online anoyumus chat like this one or and online therapist
WatchingOverYou
December 22nd, 2017 5:19pm
Emphasize the types of thoughts/feelings/emotions you're experience. You can maybe say something like "You know, I'm been feeling (a bit) down for some time/lately. I have this feeling of sadness (and emptiness) in me that I cannot explain. What do you think this is?"
endearingOcean32
December 23rd, 2017 3:26am
That a lot has happened in my life and i feel like I just wanna be alone and cry and that I don't wanna do it
Anonymous
In my experience, people usually don't understand that you're depressed unless you come out and say it. Sometimes, if someone has depression, you can mention that you have symptoms of depression and they might realise that you're saying that you are depressed.
windfox3
Here's some quick phrases that can help others understand that you are struggling with some internal battles: I'm not feeling like myself lately. I'm having a hard time seeing things clearly. Sometimes I worry my emotions are getting the better of me. My mind is a little fuzzy and I don't know what's bothering me. I'm not sad, but I am having a hard time finding motivation. I feel like I'm missing something, but I can't put my finger on it.
Anonymous
Some people can tell without being told. But if it's someone who isn't aware of it at all, you might want to drop a hint or two. Maybe even a visit to the psychotherapist.
Anonymous
It's difficult to tell people your emotions. I know that sometimes because things were hard for me to say, I would write down how I'm feeling in a letter format and give it to my friends and family to help me get support. Or, if you don't want to do that, I would make it a point to share how you're feeling more to family/friends to get the support and help you need!
Kalopsia17
Most of the time, we need to understand, the other person cannot mind read. The best way to let someone who cares about you is to spit it out, no matter the level of complexity it carries. However if you still feel the need to be indirect, try giving easy clues. Definitely people who care about you will grasp whatever you’re trying to communicate.
Anonymous
You tell them through how your feeling, and basically list of all of the symptoms, through conversation wise. Through that, they should be able to grasp that you are dealing with depression, or at least know that you're going through a rough time.
BerrySunset
I think they would know just by how you act. But you could try writing it down, or write a poem called "my depression" or something like that. You could draw a picture of how you interpret depression and then asking someone to tell you what they think the picture is of.
Pumpkin74
You can describe your symptoms such as saying "Its hard for me to be happy sometimes." or "I always feel so tired and like it is hard to get out." Labeling depression doesn't matter as long as your feelings and symptoms are cared for.
magneticDog23
by showing it. by withdrawal and be passive, or with tell them what I feel now and why I feel it if I feel comfort enough to the person
Anonymous
Talk in a melancholy mood or imply using sad words etc that show the person is sad or depressed about something
Engineeringhappiness
tell them that you feel empty, and lonely and tell them how you are feeling. they will understand you
charmingBeauty55
Okay maybe you don’t tell them straight away, I usually don’t, though I feel like they need to know about me in case I ever get in a bad way. Just so they are prepared for it - if I suddenly locked myself in my room all day, not eating or drinking, people would probably find me pretty weird if they didn’t know I had a mental illness.
snakeskins
Depending on how close you are to the person, they could have already noticed how you feel. Otherwise you can say things like: "I've been feeling really down lately" or "I have a hard time enjoying things anymore". Depression is different for everyone, so depending on how you feel you can describe it in different ways.
Anonymous
Show them through actions or behaviour. Dont say the word depressed but talk about it. Or give out examples.
Anonymous
Quiet not eating not sleeping not interacting. Showing little to no emotion. Things you were involved in don't seem to matter. Laying in bed or sofa with no intentions of getting up.
amiablePeace77
write your feelings down and if you feel you can trust them, show it to them. If you just do not want to use the word depressed explain to them how you feel.
Anonymous
In my opinion, I'd say that you haven't been feeling you for a while, and you can't figure out what's getting you down. I'd say that you feel like you need to talk to someone about your feelings so you can start to feel like yourself again.
Anonymous
just say "i've been/i am upset"... they'll most likely ask why, but you have no obligation to reply. if they ask, just say "i do not want to talk about it" and, hopefully, they will understand
Kricket20
Sometimes it can be a lot easier to say "I feel down a lot" than saying "I'm depressed." Especially if you are worried about how the other person will react, saying "I feel down" might be easier for you.