How would you describe depression?

390 Answers.
How would you describe depression?
★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.
Top Rated Answer
Tanuj
A pit , a high energy vortex that keeps pulling you down and down . Its like one of those dreams where we keep falling and falling and there seems no end to it and if this wasnt enough slowly the light appears to dim and before we know it we are surrounded with this dark empty space filled with nothing but our own negativity and suffering and then from the darkness thoughts appear that its better to curl up and die somehow rather than to make futile efforts to climb back up towards the little rays of light that still sometimes penetrate this dark soulless pit . That is how i would describe depression from my personal experience.
Newest Answer
Anonymous
I would describe my depression as something I like to keep private. I consider my bad life choices to be the cause of my state of mind. I would say I woke up to my ACT and then became embarrassed by my own former self. If I could wipe the slate clean and start over I would count my blessings every day and realise that not everything is my fault. I would also acknowledge that I am a pretty okay person and I didn't need to be always playing to win. Find my passion and do that thing every day and be happy that it doesn't feel like work. To feel whole and complete and be surround by love one who want us to succeed as we do them is pretty dam amazing. Also I would know the most important job in the world! I would not listen to other people's opinions as these have in turn been my truth rather then following my gut reaction. My depression is caused mostly by my seeming to be over confident when the truth is I was breaking inside. Life is hard. We all need to surround ourselves by the people that truly want us to win= feel the love and be happy.

Take our free test to better understand yourself and Depression

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
RayofHope
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
MirandaD
Depression is a mental illness. It can cause the sufferer to lose interest in the interests and activities they used to enjoy, extinguish any energy or motivation, and cause crippling sadness. I personally have found my depression saps my self-esteem and makes me feel worthless. I also have issues with motivation that leave me even more depressed because I didn't complete tasks. I need to step back and look at my situation as if it was my friend telling me their worries in order to help myself get back on track. Depression isn't a sign of weakness - it's a sign that people have been strong for too long.
Kekoa
For me, it's like being invisible. People can see a faint silhouette of you, but they can't see you, they can't hear you. It's like having one eye that sees the past, and the other sees the future, and it all hinges on regret and shame. For whatever reasons a person might have, you objectively see the worthlessness of self-absorbed people, wading about in a shallow pool of things that could never fill the emptiness you experience. Over and over throughout the day, one eye sees into the past, dragging regret and shame to the forefront - "what if it all could have been different; better? What if I could have been better?" But most times the stark reality of your disconnectedness can't be mitigated, fled from, or erased. You are your depression, and it only feeds itself with your self-loathing for it. All the things you've ever done out of sorrow, sadness, melancholy, and loneliness make you hate it, and yourself for being wholly consumed by it. The other eye, another part of you sees what kind of future lies ahead for someone like that, and you generally find the middling of inaction, introspection and internalization the safest place to be. You can't look at people without seeing their own loneliness, but any need to cope with it removed, since they don't even seem to register it's there. It's a wolf, or a predator, a sickness, your natural enemy, and you are it's prey. It's a vast, dark, clouded sky, hiding the moon, and all you want is the sun. It's a stifling of your senses, since they exist on the outside of the prison of your mind, and you exist only in the prison. It's isolation, loneliness, and you exist as a singularity, even among your own "kind". No one can understand the weight, the burden, the constant threat of the flames, or the water engulfing you. They label it, define it, use it, confuse it, but they can't relate. Intellectually you understand others, maybe even glimpse the things that they feel, but can never fully be free, even in at your best or in the best of circumstances. It's the place between spaces, and nowhere at the same time. A gray, washed out, musty air and light, in a cell made specifically and only for you. The thought of release is appealing, but deep down you know it isn't the way out. You're always numb, and always exposed at the same time, like a nerve, over-stimulated by even the simplest of things. Fighting yourself constantly in order to at least appear, if not try to simulate normalcy, you're often exhausted. But the fear that you might have a choice in all that you think, feel, and do is even more terrifying, so you stay, content to let your jailer feast on your deepest desires, your unfulfilled dreams, your insecurities, skeletons and shadows, rather than keep trying in futility to learn what self-worth means on an emotional, spiritual and existential level. It's easier to just keep the facade going that you're nothing but the man in the rowboat, crossing the sea alone. No one understands you, not really or fully. Acceptance is easier, but still a rarity, given what you look like underneath all that you project to everyone else because if they could see your thoughts; if your thoughts and self-image could manifest from your mind, it would be grotesque, horrifying, massive and destructive. All you can do is live with it, and it with you, unless you decide to undertake the daunting, near impossible task of mastering it, mastering yourself. And even then, you haven't defeated anything. There is no ultimate victory to be sung, you haven't vanquished it, only tamed it a little - only given the night sky a few more dim, twinkling stars for you to look up at.
oreo23a
I would describe depression as a numbing sadness. The sadness is always behind the scenes of a very blank state of mind. You feel no ambition, no happiness, you aren't interested in anything or care to even get out of bed. You are sort of a walking ghost going through the motions of life. Don't get me wrong; depressed people can have good days, they can laugh and smile and take jokes and have good moments. But the majority of the time when life isn't extremely good the numbness is the main emotion. There is also a lot of guilt in depression. You always feel you do everything wrong, you think people would be better off without you, and you think everything is your fault, etc., etc. For me, depression was like an ache. I knew with time I may be able to drag myself out of it, but it lasted, it stuck around and attached to my like a happiness numbing leach. It was horrible but using tricks taught by a therapist I was able to help others and myself.
Paige7928
Depression makes you feel like a shell of your old self. You feel isolated and scared, with no hope of ever being happy again. Life is meaningless; everything is meaningless. You stop caring about the things that matter most; family, friends, and love. When you finally think you can survive these crippling emotions and get on with your life, you are shot back down into the grave you have dug yourself. All you want to do is curl into a ball and hope that everybody will just leave you alone. You feel guilty for bringing everybody else down, but you can't help but lash out at the people pretending that they "get it". You feel that everything in this world is your fault, and you feel that nobody will ever understand. You push everybody away, secretly hoping that somebody will see right through the walls you put up and come and save you. But they never do.
Harquinn909
The best description that I've ever seen with regards to depression is this: "Depression feels like you're drowning.. but you can see all the other people around you breathing"
Jaelin
Depression for me is like a dark hole, a solitary place of hopelessness, of a profound sadness and loss, and you lose everything, everything seems out of reach and you just are: your just existing. Its a place where you just feel this deep ache, this need for....something....anything to make it better.
leigh1104
Depression is something that's different for everyone, I think. It's a very unique experience. For me, it's always been characterized by a lack of feeling. Instead of feeling happiness or sadness or anger, it's a complete apathy. Simply put, I never cared about anything. I didn't care if someone turned down lunch plans, didn't care if it was sunny or rainy. All I ever wanted to do was sit in my room and watch tv. Eventually, it progressed from that apathy towards small things to big things. I found myself not feeling hungry or tired. Eventually, it progressed to the point where I didn't care if my car ran off the road, and that's when I knew this wasn't something I could do on my own.
Dylana
I would describe depression as something that you feel at random times. It just creeps up on you when you're thinking. Many people describe it as drowning or being on a roller coaster that only goes down. But really, I don't feel like that explains HALF of it. It's when you overthink your own problems within your life. It's when your thoughts are very conflicted and you don't know where you stand. It's even when you are triggered... With anything. Self harm, binge eating, etc. It's like a weight as heavy as the world in sitting atop your own chest, and you cannot breathe because of the way you THINK things are. People always say: Stay strong, It will be okay. Yes, this is correct. You will understand that this isn't the way you want things to be, and you'll strive to make your life the best it can be. You'll realize that keeping yourself down or upset, isn't doing anything, except maybe wasting your time feeling sad when you have the ability to pick yourself back up again.
Alwaysreadytohelp
Depression is the feeling when you feel like the walls of darkness enveloping you and suffocating you to no bounds. It's like you are trapped in a medium where you can't breathe and you gasp for air and plead for someone to pull you out of this dilemma. It is the worst feeling, one can ever experience as you are drowned in your own sorrow for whatever your personal reasons might be.
Brok3nHeart
The feeling that youre heart is slowly bleeding and the brain just doesnt stop producing negative thoughts.
TalkMyFaceOff
The greatest way I ever heard depression described is "Anger Without Enthusiasm" and it resonated with me in a way that I have never forgotten.
Krissey
Depression is a state of low mood, you can feel sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, helpless, worthless and many other feelings. When you are depressed you can lose interest in activities that you loved and did everyday, you can loose appetite or you can start overeating, have problems concentrating, have insomnia or excessive sleeping, fatigue, aches, pains or digestive problems.
Anonymous
I think depression is the state of being receptive to negative thoughts. And, while in a depressive state one might absorb enough negativity even to think of committing suicide. Personally, I think it's one of the worst thing that can happen to a person, but sometimes it's unavoidable, but life is not a sprint , it's a marathon.
ClaudiaSpinach
It's like being underwater. It's something heavy and suffocating and you're trying and trying and trying to tread for the surface because that glimmer of light is just there.
Anonymous
Its like a dark cloud always hovering over you, or a hole you can't get out of. You feel very trapped either way :/
WeCanStruggleTogether
My description of depression? Its like a giant rock has been put on your entire existence. When you have depression it feels like you have no energy to do anything. It hurts to be happy.
LauraB15
For me, depression is like a tiny monster within me that feeds on all of the negative thoughts, feelings, and events in my life. Every negative thought, feeling, and event makes it grow stronger and larger until it has reached maximum size. At this point, it completely consumes me and I'm unable to do anything. I lose all motivation and hope for the future. The best way to defeat the monster is to regain hope. I have to cling to positivity and remind myself of the positive events in my life. Once I have defeated the monster, it goes back to being small and hides within me, waiting to feed on negative thoughts, feelings, and events.
Anahita
Depression is a cruel punishment. People can get through anything as long as they see the light at the end of the tunnel. But when depressed, you see no light.
uniqueyesyou123
Depression is a disease. So,there is a big difference between depression and sadness . Are completely different situations . Being sad is natural to humans , it is something that happens due to the fact that we are beings with emotions . But , having a depression , encompasses not only be sad , but other things . Our immune system is affected. People with depression sleeps too little or too much, eat too much or do not feel in the mood to eat . Cry for everything or nothing . Think of death several times a day . Feel a different pain of grief. Can not produce certain important things in your body . The health diminishes , indeed , depression is a mental illness . When you feel with some of these symptoms , please head over to a doctor . Being depressed can destroy your life. Take care of yourself.
DestineeLove
I would describe depression as the worst thing in the whole world. It feels as if nothing is going to get better. Every day is just the same thing.
Anonymous
I would describe it as numbness. It's like you can't care or feel. And it's drak , cold , and lonely
chanelsdaisy
you cant describe depression in word really but i will try. Depression is when you do not want to wake up in the morning, sleepless night, tiredness all the time, when nothing makes fun anymore, when you don't want to get out of your room anymore and when you want to die
Anonymous
It's like being trapped in a your own personal sink hole. Everyone around you is trying to get away leaving you alone. You have no where to turn so you just stand still in shock. As you stand there you sink farther and farther. Eventually you're so deep people begin to see you're not around as much. They see you stuck in this whole and they know they can't get you out. You've pushed everyone so far away and now they can no longer reach you to help get you out. You're more alone than ever and you've done it to yourself. You give up hope because you don't want to go back there just for this to happen again. So you stay put. The only problem is if you don't try anymore you sink farther and the light at the end gets smaller and smaller. You can barely see the light anymore and you don't know what the point is anymore. So you sink even further until that light closes just as yours eyes do. Never to be opened again. Your personal sink hole was your personal grave.
Aurelius735
Slipping into depression feels like falling down a dark bottomless shaft, wondering if and when your fall will ever be caught. And as you look back to where you fell from--which is where you know you need to get back to--you can see it receding further into the distance, the proverbial light becoming dimmer and dimmer, while the shaft into which you are falling becomes deeper, darker, and all the more enveloping.
Laurrr
I would describe depression as a tidal wave. For me, from my own experience, I felt like I was drowning in negative emotions and thoughts. I found it difficult to breathe and at times wanted to stop trying to pull myself to the surface. Though with professional help, I found it easier to push myself to the surface and when I finally did - I could breathe again and start putting myself back together. Depression is a serious mental illness and should not be dismissed.
sereneSunshine20
February 1st, 2016 3:32pm
Imagine you're in the ocean when all of a sudden the waves begin At first it is easy to keep yourself above the waves, you can still see the shore, the waves start getting bigger and you are starting to grow tired, it is much harder to keep yourself up as the waves are growing stronger, you look around you the shore and all the people on it are no longer visible, you are alone and fighting to stay up, and although you keep fighting you are running out of energy and the thought that you might not make it start to cross your mind but then the waves start to lighten up, and you can see the faint outline of people and the shore in the distance so you begin to swim towards shore, things are looking up, getting better, then a storm hits and you get swept up in the waves, further away from the shore yet again waves are throwing you around, making you disoriented and lost, exhausted and tired you wonder why you should still try , you don't know where you are, you are alone. Then you see another shore, it clears up and you think you can make it but yet again as soon as you get close more waves and you have no energy left to fight anymore this is what depression feels like
Anonymous
I think everyone has their own version of depression. We're taught to notice the signs: feelings of helplessness and hopelessness, loss of interest in daily activities, appetite or weight changes, sleep changes, anger or irritability, loss of energy, self-loathing, reckless behavior, etc. but not everyone experiences those things. I was diagnosed with clinical depression not too long ago; I don't know how exactly to describe it, but for me it's sort of this overwhelming feeling of inadequacy.
Anonymous
Depression for me manifested itself in different stages; mild, moderate and severe. Mild is the constant dull headache, dampening my emotions but more bearable when distracted. Moderate was the soundless weeping, energy sucking leech. It gave me bastardized emotions back, and misplaced them to the extreme. Intrusive, self-distructive and sometimes suicidal thoughts were present during this time. Severe depression took my emotions away. At first it seemed like a relief, a freedom to be free from the emotions that plagued me so much on the journey here. I even thought faking emotions to keep interacting with the world would be enough (hint - it wasn't). The apathy became a double-edged sword, saving me from the pain but damning me from any joy. When you get past the apathy then you struggle on at intellectual level of frustration at your inability to just FEEL like other people can, to have what they have. After a while it had been so long I would even crave the anger, the sadness and the pain over joy or love or humour. Bargaining just to have a glimpse of something over the desert that was once my emotional plane of existence. This was at my darkest time with depression.
DevinT7
For me, depression is extreme form of hopelessness. It could be rooted in sadness, anxiety, etc. When the sadness or anxiety became too overwhelming to deal with, those feelings seemed to overflow into depression, which can feel like a "surrender" of sorts to the negativity.
SophiaListensToYou
Depression feels like you're drowning. Like you're constantly struggling to stay above water while the people around you seem perfectly fine. It feels like all of the life, motivation, and energy is drained from you. It makes you feel worthless, like a waste of space. It feels like you're a tree falling in the middle of a forest, and no one chooses to hear you fall, so you don't make a sound.
angelcaughtinthecrossfire
To me, depression is like a black hole of sadness. Once you get sucked in, it's a long and hard journey to find your way back to who you once were.
AlexanderThebig
Depression is a view of yourself , a darkness that is only hidden within you . A temporary illusion.
Electrotapped
Depression is this feeling of sadness that takes over your whole body. Unlike regular sadness, it makes you feel tired/lethargic and lower your feeling of self-worth, which makes it all the more unfortunate to see happen to someone.
ZoeAlwaysSmile
depression is a really hard feeling, and disease. It can make your life harder, and it can make you have other things, like anxiety, insomnia, self-harming, and more.
monokoii
Being depressed feels like drowning in your own mind not being able to find the way out. It takes time to see the surface again but it's always there.
Braedon24
Depression is the overwhelming feeling of hopelessness. Depression is never being happy with yourself or position in life and always thinking the grass is greener on the other side.
Undertheseaaaa
Depression is hard to describe but I'll try and put it into words: I suppose I always link my depression as though you're trying to run up a mud hill, every bit of progress you make you just slide right back down and every single thing you do seems to take an enormous amount of energy that you really do not have. It's like you're trapped in a cage in the middle of no where, you're scared, frightened and after so long of feeling this that worry that you once felt subsides and the pain is just something you gradually become used to. Although not nice, you're used to it.
CompassionatePanda1207
Depression is a constant feeling of sadness that can make a completely normal day turn into one of the worst days you've had.
Anonymous
Depression is something that eats away at the soul, slowly over time it manages to change your whole perception and how you act in life. You suddenly lose interest in things you once loved, and the people you love soon get concerned about how you feel, and all you do is push them away. Your relationship struggles and you'll be suprised at how you behave. You aren't the same person, and you let it destroy you, piece by piece, until you're completely broken. Depression is the worst thing that somebody can endure, and I would hope that nobody suffers in silence, It can be beaten, and it will. Take my hand and I'll show you how to overcome it. God bless.
Jenniiy
Depression is not always being sad. It's the constant feeling of emptiness or fear. Being lonely and tired.
Anonymous
In order to love who you are, you cannot hate the experiences that shaped you. To love means to open ourselves to the negative as well as the positive - to grief, sorrow, and disappointment as well as to joy, fulfillment, and an intensity of consciousness we did not know was possible before.
Anonymous
Having depression like everyone is in a swimming pool and they are having fun, swimming around and treading water easily but the pool for you is an ocean. It's really overwhelming, not fun being there and it's really hard to tread water cause of waves. And that's a normal day. The worst days are like storms have set in and the wind blows, water whips in your face, and the waves pull you under. Those days its really hard to not just give up and drown but if you don't then it's all you can do to keep your head above water long enough to take a breath before it pulls you under again. When you finally decide you've had enough suffering in silence and need help, you call out to the lifeguard aka your doctor. They are there too help you and keep an eye on you. They can prescribe a life jacket that can make treading water not so hard on normal days and a bit more bearable on the worst days. Sometimes it takes a while to find a floatie that works for you. Sometimes it's a life jacket. Sometimes all you need is a pool noodle or water wings. Sometimes it's none of those things and instead you just need someone to teach you how to swim. That's how it feels to me at least.
RedRose82
March 22nd, 2016 7:31pm
I would describe depression as a road everyone goes through at least once. For some its longer and rougher, for others its shorter and smoother. Some go through this journey more than once and the lucky ones would suffer through it only that one time. The journey would differ from one person to another. However there is an end, and we just have to be patient enough to reach it.
Anonymous
It's something that is lying on the surface, waiting to rise and take over you. Suddenly all the light that you supposedly had in your life feels like it is being sucked out. Your mind has you and only you alone. Crying out for help but never felt like you were being noticed. It feels like you are locked inside a dark room with no keys, nor windows or doors, so there is no way to exit or enter, or even think and feel of the sunlight outside that could be hitting your face because of the loneliness you feel. It is like the void in your life that doesn't seem to want to be filled ever.
hardknoxJack
Depression is the back-stabbing frenemy that no one wants. For some of us, it can be a familiar place that gives a false illusion of comfort because it is SO familiar. However, it's a place of struggle that can be draining and trying. It can also become a thing of the past with the right amount of love and support.
Denko
Depression makes you feel like you're drowning in a sea of sorrow, maybe even drowning. It is actually a lot like sinking. You need help from others to make it back up. although help from others could just make you sink even further down.
Anonymous
I think Depression can be different for different people. Different people deal with it differently. There could be a lot of anger, guilt, extreme sadness, detachment, and maybe some anxiety. It can be scary... but eventually you will make it through. So keep on fighting.
Anonymous
A heavy weight just sitting on your chest. It prevents you from getting out of bed, taking care of yourself, even doing the things you love.
Arun
Depression is a real illness that impacts the brain. Anyone suffering from depression will tell you, it’s not imaginary or “all in your head.” Depression is more than just feeling “down.” It is a serious illness caused by changes in brain chemistry. Research tells us that other factors contribute to the onset of depression, including genetics, changes in hormone levels, certain medical conditions, stress, grief or difficult life circumstances. Any of these factors alone or in combination can precipitate changes in brain chemistry that lead to depression’s many symptoms. Depression is a serious condition. It’s also, unfortunately, a common one. The World Health Organization characterizes depression as one of the most disabling disorders in the world, affecting roughly one in five women and one in ten men at some point in their lifetime. It is estimated that 21% of women and 12% of men in the U.S will experience an episode of depression at some point in their lifetime. Depression does not discriminate. Men and women of every age, educational level, and social and economic background suffer from depression. There is no area of life that does not suffer when depression is present. Marriage, parenting, friendships, careers, finances – every aspect of daily living is compromised by this disease. Once an episode of depression occurs, it is also quite likely that it will recur. And the impact of depression can be even more severe when it occurs in combination with other medical illnesses such as diabetes, stroke, or cardiovascular disease, or with related disorders such as anxiety or substance abuse. The problems caused by depression are made worse by the fact that most people suffering from the disease are never diagnosed, let alone treated. The good news is that when depression is promptly identified and treated, its symptoms are manageable and there are many effective strategies for living with the disease. Depression and bipolar disorder are both treated most effectively in their earliest stages when symptoms are less severe.
Kaywalk
Stepping into a tiny hole that looks like nothing. Unexpectedly the hole starts to get bigger and deeper and you begin to fall into it and -trying to stop falling and get up but eventually waiting to find the bottom thinking it close- you continue to fall. It seems endless and that's when you realise it's a black hole and it sucking away your happiness. The longer you stay the more happiness it drains and the more difficult it becomes to escape (?) lmao what the hell did I just write XD don't listen to my randomness 😂😂
niceMermaid44
Know that the emotional pain gives way to literal pain. Know that this pain -- mental and physical -- makes it hard to move.
Anonymous
I would say that it feels like you're stuck in the same place never being able to feel happy and really enjoy things
SEAMUSE
Depression can be like a having your clothes drenched in water at all times, but no one can see it. It's always uncomfortable in different ways, and a great burden from when you get up in the morning until you go to bed in the evening.
kittykat
Depression is a feeling of overwhelming numbness and apathy which makes it difficult to function. The emotions you are able to feel are usually negative, and when you feel positive emotions, you are unable to fully enjoy them because you know eventually you'll go back to the baseline state of numbness. You lose interest in everything from eating to hobbies you usually love, and you have trouble clearing the fog in your mind enough to be productive. This in turn can lead to feelings of self-loathing and frustration.
MusicsHeal
Feeling of getting trapped in a colorless zone. Surrounded by joy and laugh but can't feel them as how others feel, losing emotion and passion on most of the things in life. It's really bad
fancyLake23
Depression is a Jail where YOU are both the PRISONER and the JAILER.
Chaliercy
Depression is a state of low mood, sometimes psychological, which can compromise the well-being of the person.
Kathlyng90
Personally... hell. There is a hole you find yourself in that seems to grow around you and over you. I wasn't one to sleep or sulk; it affected my day to day life actually. I was harsh and cold with those I loved. I pushed people away and held on to those that I didn't need around.
Anonymous
Like having a fistful of sand, and trying to keep every grain of sand in your fist. Cliche, but somedays, everything feels impossible.
Recent Answers
SupportiveSockMonkey
A long, painful twisted tunnel with very little light at the end with a lot of obsticles in the way - which is why we need to fight to reach the light at the end to obtain a balanced healthy happy life
delicateWindow53
Depression and sadness mean two different things. Sadness is a normal emotion and if something bad was to happen then you may feel sad, but that sadness will lift after a few days. However, depression is a persistent sadness - it can last for weeks, months or even years.
babykimchi112
A numb feeling, with no enjoyment in activities or life. Pleasure is decreased to a low level and a feeling of hopelessness.
WAdamW
depression will make you feel like you are worthless, like you cant do anything, and makes you think that no matter what nothing will get better so you just wont bother, but if you keep trying and you push through it, it is the most rewarding feeling you will ever have :D
Sithistc
Depression is like being encased in water. You can still walk around but when you do you see no one else is surrounded by water. The water has immense pressure crushing your chest and the water slowly suffocates you. When you run out of air and start to lose consciousness, you do not fully go under. You are left in between consciousness and death until you can escape from the water
Anonymous
I would describe it as a suffocating feeling. It comes over you whenever it feels like it, and it doesn't go away for quite some time, if at all. Your heart almost hurts, and you don't want to move or do anything, really. It drains all your happiness and motivation, leaving you empty.
RoseRael
Depression is hard. In my experiences, when I'm feeling depressed I always forget about the future and dwell on the past or the current. You always have to remember that there is a future, and things will get better. When I'm depressed, nothing is enjoyable. Everything seems useless and boring and I can't be bothered to do anything, because I'm in a mindset that "nothing really matters." When you start to feel that way, you've got to change your mindset. That takes willpower, but it can be done. Having a positive mindset is a very important thing to have, especially when you suffer from depression.
Avaray
A lonely isolated place, but I also don't want to be with people? A place that seems to take the energy out of every cell in my body, even getting out of bed and getting dressed is an effort. A tiredness that sleep doesn't cure. A place that makes me feel different to everyone around me, like I exist on one side of a thick glass window and everyone else on the other side. I don't belong anywhere. Feeling I'm hiding a sinful secret, so I pretend to be "ok" " just tired" etc. Feeling like no one would actually get how it affects me anyhow, and that would be worse than keeping it to myself. Exhausted. It can stabalise and then it's suddenly there, makes you feel like a failure.
patientMountain
Depression is cruel. People say to head for the light at the end of the tunnel, but when you're depressed there is no light. Everything is pitch black. You are lost and alone, even if you know other people are there next to you you can't see them. You second guess what you thought you knew. People might keep telling you "just head for the light, can't you see it?" but you can't see any light anywhere. Thats what depression feels like.
FrozenCloud
It`s very difficult to describe depression to someone who has never been there, because it`s not sadness. You feel exhausted, devastated, lonely, crushed, trapped. . .all at once.
h3idi
heavy, painful, dark, lonely, stuck in a whole, crying, fear, sadness, pressure, lack of motivation,
deeranga
Everyone experiences depression differently, but in general answers, it feels horrible. For me, I didn't want to get out of bed. I slept a lot, I didn't eat much. It's just a really sucky feeling and I hate it.
Anonymous
Hurting. Feelings explosion. Guilt. Sadness. Anger. Irritation. Blaming. Hate. Love. Obsession. Dying. Disconnection. Pain. Drowning while being able to see everyone around you breathe.
Anonymous
Depression is like being stuck in a hole that's hundreds of feet underground; it's so dark, people will throw you a rope and you won't see it. When you do make the first step and grab that rope, you have to climb up the rope to get out, carrying with you the weight of yourself. That's the hardest part, but also the part that makes it all worth it. If you want my logical explanation, it's decreased mood levels, thinking one is worthless, a nuisance, and in some cases "better off dead". It includes disrupted sleep or oversleeping, low energy levels, a lack of pleasure in things once enjoyed, and in more cases than one would think, suicidal thoughts.
happinessisjustaroundthecorner
depression is like living with a leach attached to you, sucking you life and happiness away each and every day
Lindsaylu
Depression is a mental illness, that makes one feel extreme sadness and other negative emotions. But if you're asking how it feels? Depression is...a dark cloud or a shadow that follows you around wherever you go whispering doubts and fears to you, it feels like drowning and being set on fire all at once, it feels like too much but also feels like emptiness, a black hole in you heart that swallows all your hopes. It feels like you're alone in this world, the last one standing, and you're lost, you're walking down an empty road looking for a home you're not sure exists. Depression can be described in many ways, it feels different from one person to the next but at the end of the day it is what it is, a mental illness. An illness that needs to be helped, understood and stopped, no one should ever have to feel the way you do when you are depressed.
Rogue1234
Depression is like a darkness that is inside of you and as it passess through your body it takes away hope , love , joy , interest, and your left with this void of nothingness and your body just wants to sleep it off but it cant so your stuck feeling tired and miserable
Anonymous
My description of depression is a feeling of sadness and sorrow for a long period of time that the person doesn't cheer up.
lostoldlady
a feeling of not caring about anyone or anything. Not eating well. Don't want any one cone to my house, call me, or send me an email. A feeling like I want to hurt myself but don"t have the courage to do it.
BakaFacedChick
a dark scary place with nothing but my monsters and pain.
heavenlyTime56
Having a flat battery
radiantPassion58
I would describe depression with a quote from Fool's Garden's 'Lemon Tree': "I'm sitting here I miss the power I'd like to go out taking a shower But there's a heavy cloud inside my head I feel so tired Put myself into bed While nothing ever happens"
Anonymous
I feel depression is one's own mindset for a situation in life. Every person has different outlook for everything in life.depression is just one outlook. One person can be depressed about something and some other may not even take it seriously. It is good to have positive attitude in every situation ,then depression won't be able to effect you.
Anonymous
A clever and hard-to-get-out-of trap caused by a loss of sense of purpose or meaning in life. A place where you feel numb and stuck, and where your brain tries to override you with negative thoughts and feelings.
SameDamnLife
Depression is like drowning in a dark, murky, polluted river, but everyone around you is fine and living a utopian life.
Kuvira14
Being surrounded in a black hole that I cant get out , that drives away all the positive things in life
moonchild29
Like a dementor. It feels like you can never be happy again. Enough said.
Anonymous
It's the feeling of hopeless about anything. Giving up on love and saying yourself that you suck at everything. You see everything bad, more then it is. Depression can take you away. It takes you away from reality and good times. You become the other - harder to live - person.
Anonymous
Depression can be described in so many different ways. It all depends on the stage of depression you are in. It can go from a black cloud over you to being in a hole so deep you can't get out.