I am struggling with codependency and depression. I cannot afford therapy. What can I do to get help?

Evelyn Coker, MSW, LCSW

I am down to earth and enjoy working with all clients. I have a special passion to support teen girls and women. My work is nonjudgmental and provides a safe space to grow.

softNutella25
Consider speaking to your family doctor if you are insured. Consider some alternative options like a school counselor if you are in school. If you are insured, there may be therapists and/or social workers whose services are covered. In any case, talk to your doctor if possible and they may be able to help guide you to the care that you need without causing you financial hardship.
Anonymous
Talking to an adult can help. A parent, teacher, social worker. Even reaching out for help is a huge step and can really go a long way. Also journaling or writing down your thoughts can really help!
hopefulHand19
There are many things you can do to get help. This site for example, is great for people struggling with depression. There are many free support groups you can attend, In my area, my local mood disorder organization offers free support groups. Many of your friends and family, who you many never have even thought would be there for you, can be very supportive. There are also many phone lines you can dial,that will do everything they can to help you.
kerkyra
If you are still in school, ask to speak to your school nurse/councillor. If not in school, maybe console with a trusted member of family or friend.
Anonymous
you can seek help on online forums or talk to friends and family or talk to me. we are a community willing to help each other.
livylove9731
Well for starters, there are plenty of listeners on 7 cups, we're all here to help so why don't you give one of them a shout?
angelicaxx
Try 7 cups or school counselling. (I personally reccommend school counselling over 7 cups since school counsellers are registered and professional so it would help you more.)
Anonymous
Talk to someone who had gone through the same or a close friend. Sometimes friends could be the best therapist.
Angelwings63
There sites are here for this reason. To help those struggling to cope with life. Make use of all the resources here. Talk with the listeners. If this does not help you can search for free institutes which offer medical help for depression and see one of them.
EsmeRose
You can always try support groups that are funded through things like the NHS or government etc. There are always chat lines such as 7 Cups of Tea and other online help lines that can help until you can financially afford professional help!
briana6876786
September 2nd, 2016 2:49am
you could try to find a depression hotline or maybe find a listener on here to talk to about your issues
sereneDreamer45
I don't know where you live but many areas have voluntary run organizations such as pieta house. You don't need to pay. Look on the internet for free therapy in your area. If you ever want to talk to a therapist or a listener online, we are here and we do care about you.
AliceInWonderland1997
Talk to friends or family and try to apeak to them. Tell them that you want them to just hear you out. Not to give you lectures on how you should feel bc it can make you feel worse. You can also talk to people, listeners here on 7cups! Many people are great to talk to and if one doesnt satisfy you or help you. You calways have the chance to find new listeners.
Jesse1285
There are many resources out there. If you are can't afford traditional therapy, look into peer support groups run by organizations such as NAMI and the DBSA. Both offer support groups for those struggling with depression and other disorders. They may also have leads for low cost therapy services or other routes you can take.
GentleBlizzard
Based on my experience, you can talk to those close to you, as well as get some hobbies. Working out really helps.
BeautifulOutlaw
You're more than welcome to always speak to anyone here, about your depression and codependency. We have therapist on the site.
sheenaelisan
I feel your pain. I'm so sorry your struggling. I want to help you and provide support. This can be helpful. Also, we have great resources here, I can send you links for a guide on both codependency and depression and we can discuss it. I can bring in more listeners to our conversation to provide extra support for you. I want to be here for you and listen. I don't know exactly how you're feeling, but I know that it hurts. On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad would you say your struggling with depression?
Anonymous
talk to someone, maybe friends, family, partner and of course listeners on 7cups .. :)
Anonymous
Go online there are many free sites and many people who would love to help people with mental illness and to support you through it all
healwithlove
You did the first step, realizing what you have, the next step is to seek for the root of this codependency, and then try to be independant in that area, wether is emotional, financial etc. Sometimes feeling economically independant will give you the confidence to feel free.
Anonymous
If I am struggling with codependency and depression and cannot afford therapy, I can get 3 free therapy sessions with the therapist on the cups
thelaughingbuddha
October 2nd, 2016 5:05am
Short answer is 7cups. A great site with patient active listeners where you can come anytime and talk about the problem you are facing. There are great resources on the site for your help. Apart from that you can talk to your friends who are caring and understand you very well. If there is no one, back to 7cups. We are eagerly waiting to listen to you.
KrisisKontrol
Do some research on the internet, get books from the library, discuss issues with a trusted friend or family member.
Anonymous
I think talking to friends or family could be helpful. Maybe try some guides on 7 cups or speak to a listener here.
Anonymous
You can always share your feelings/thoughts with someone who you truly care about and love. That includes family, friends and loved ones but you can also use this website to talk to a listener if you feel that could help! Meditation and/or yoga are also a widely praised for having a very positive effect on your physical and mental health. There are many apps, books and videos that can teach you. Keeping a gratitude journal has also been said to have helped many people cope with depression and anxiety as well as practicing small acts of self-love by doing things that help your body and soul (e.g. reading positive books, taking hot baths, taking walks, talking to a friend, starting a blog, writing your thoughts, drawing, cooking, cleaning, listening to uplifting music or positive talks on youtube, sleeping, keeping a mood journal or a diary, and spending time on caring for yourself). It's important to remember that with or without therapy or even loved ones, your life will get better and all you have to do is just take days one by one and stick around for the amazing moments that are sure to come your way. And even if you feel alone, you are not. Everything in life is temporary, even hardships. You can win this battle because it's not the end! xx :)
coffeekitten14
Talk to people here on 7cups. That's what we're here for :).
smiletolisten2u
You could check out local support groups in your area that deal with life issues like " Celebrate Recovery "
MarcusFalls
A book called Boundaries really helped me understand how I was contributing to my own misery by not erecting and enforcing boundaries.
WorkInProgress11
First off, it seems like you're in the right place if you've found 7 Cups! We're a community of people who want to listen to and support each other, so you could try a one-on-one chat or group chat. There are also therapists available if you feel like you need professional help.
HugoListens
find someone who can just listen to your issues so you can get to the root of the problem. Identify the feeling first and then look for that feeling in past events. Usually the first time this issue arised is the time that marked your following similar experiences so you need to find it. The journey is a bit hurtfull but a lot of thing reveal you true strengths and weaknesses.