I am struggling with codependency and depression. I cannot afford therapy. What can I do to get help?

Evelyn Coker, MSW, LCSW

I am down to earth and enjoy working with all clients. I have a special passion to support teen girls and women. My work is nonjudgmental and provides a safe space to grow.

PsYchologica90
October 22nd, 2016 9:01am
You could seek online related material to help you for example psych forums or psych central and similar try out some tests and quizzes to understand your current emotional or mental state better, or alternatively seek sites where online counselling is available for free. 7 cups of tea is a great site to offer users such an opportunity :)
Anonymous
Speak to a trusted adult or come on 7 CUPS and speak to listeners or a trusted adult................
xPeacefulAngel
Talking to listeners on 7 cups can really help! You might feel more understanded and less alone. I really recommend it.
Butterfly121
Chat sites such as this can be very helpful by giving you an ear to talk to, but you might want to investigate an online therapy service, or a free hotline to start with.
Anonymous
Even just talking to someone can help. Not everything needs a full, professional therapy session. Try finding someone you trust, and just spend time talking to them whenever possible.
originalbraveheart63
Try to talk with someone on 7cupsoftea, maybe a conversation would be something that helps you.
Anonymous
Focus on completing small things by yourself, allow yourself to feel pride over getting out of bed. As depression may make you inactive and codependency mayou make it worse, I think this would help. Don't force yourself to jump into the most important task and try not to stress over it. Focus on what you can do and have done.
heartsNcupcakes
Honestly talking to listeners helps a bunch, people who have been through similar experiences in chatrooms, even talking with family members or friends if you're not comfortable talking to a stranger. You can get into some healthy distractions as well. There are tons of alternatives to therapy. We're here whenever you need us
politeLove83
Look for free or low cost mental health services seek support groups try getting involved in more community things and stay busy and try to keep learn more about yourself passions ect
klarathealien
You can talk about it to your friends or family or anyone else you trust. Or try out 7cups where people will listen to you and try to help.
Anonymous
A non profit organization may help. Look for someone to share your problem, might be teacher or colleague. Get enough sleep. Take days off when you aren't ready
peacefulkat
You can start getting help by talking to people here on 7 Cups, you can try to do things you enjoy, getting out more and trying new things. You could try writing little notes to yourself and writing positive quotes to help you.
JHakuro
There are a lot of ways to get help for free. Many, if not all colleges, offer free therapy to students and alumni as well as hospitals being able to provide therapy to individuals that may not have the money to do so.
HeartyHeartfelt
Get support. Talk to people. Open your heart to people you trust even if it is hard. It helps to feel supported. There is this quote I love, "I don't need you to save me. I need you to hold my hand while I save myself." I don't believe you are helpless but I am not discrediting your codependency and depression, I just believe that you can overcome it---you just need support. Healing happens when the positive experiences and stimuli outweigh the negatives. If you are feeling what you are feeling, you need to re-balance your life by introducing positive mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical experiences in your life. That's why people get so overwhelmingly happy when they travel: they get out of the negative loop they're in. Get yourself out of the negative loop by making positive memories in your life. Here's some guide questions: I feel most fulfilled whenever I _________. What came out? Message me or any listener to help you with this!
Anonymous
The first step should be confiding your codependency and depression with people you trust. Getting support from your loved ones and being able to be vulnerable towards them leads to stronger social connections, and stronger bonds with people aids with alleviating codependency and depression in the long run.
anomalicious
Options such as support groups, which are often very inexpensive or even free, as well as a pro-bono therapist may be good options. It would be best to research your general area and see if there were inexpensive options for treatment. Another option is reading self-help books and watching documentaries, which I've greatly found to help certain people, whereas others may not benefit from it as much.
Anonymous
Seek for self-peace. Go online, see what you love to do, adventures or just talking with others. Learn about depression and codependency and try to solve it without hurting yourself in the process
Anonymous
Therapies can be quite expensive sometimes and not everyone can afford them, in such situations one can reach out to trusted person as counselor, who you trust and are sure that person will not judge you and if you think you'll be judged you should message someone anonymously using platform like this. And also from my personal experience reading self-help books and listening to motivation speeches can be quite helpful.
oncewasastruggler
Try talking to some of our listeners here on 7cups! (I am one aswell!) we are always here to help you when you need us. xx
compassionateSea52
Talk to someone here. There are many people who have overcome these issues and will understand your struggle. There are a diverse range of resources available also including forums and information written by people just like you.
Sanar
There are several free services online and locally in your area. If you are in school, your institution will most likely offer counseling services for free. Your workplace may have a free counseling or therapy department, too. Beyond that, there are several depression hotlines that you can research and call toll free. If none of these interest you, perhaps reaching out to a trusted family member or friend may be a good option.
Anonymous
Therapy, while an important assessment, can become very expensive and unaffordable. Have you considered any self-help books (or workbooks) that are related to codependency and depression? Perhaps, you can check them out from the library or buy them off the Internet for cheap. I'm not too familiar with very many codependency-related books, but if you look at the psychology section of most bookstores, you will most likely see relevant resources that can help you work through those concerns. There are also some books for those who are dealing with depression, such as Feel Good which I'd highly recommend if you're experiencing excessive self-criticism and you're trying to develop your self-esteem.
ZeteticElench
August 2nd, 2017 12:07pm
You could ask a friend or compassionate member of family for advice and support. It is worth exploring if there are free self help group meetups for sufferer of those, also looking for advice in the world wide web can have great value. Do not oversee also counseler of the spiritual nature, like priest and other representatives of religion. Even if you are not believer yourself, the practicioners will listen to your sorrows and often offer support and advice.
Hound
Exercise and good diet, CBT workbooks, having a sense of routine (getting dressed, going outside, getting sunshine.) Having a strong support system, people who listen without judgment. Online forums for people with depression can help if you lack offline support. All easier said than done, but take it as you will.
Anonymous
Talking to people & finding tips online. It is important to talk to people about your struggles so they can help you.
capucinec
Find your passion. Your vice, if you will. Often external life cannot bate the hellfire inside of us, because external life, as nice as it is, offers emptiness. Money and materials and alcohol and drugs never help. What I'm saying is, look inside yourself. Find your vice, be it writing or singing or painting or reading or knitting. Find something that when you perform it, it eases the pain. It is not as good as therapy, but four years later, and I'm still standing.
tjb28
You have done a positive thing by coming onto the site . We are all here to help . You are not alone. Here at 7cups of tea are some fantastic supportive people who are here for you
Kevan
Try the calming mindful exercises here on 7cups or self-help guides. Try to talk to your parents. friends or even a listener here to get support.
Anonymous
talk to your friends or family and tell them you need help or support in your time of need to be able to get better
123AskRecieveInstruct
7 cups have volunteer trained listeners that can listen to your situation and give you some comfort.