I feel like life is pointless. How can I find meaning in my life?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
doing things that interest you and give you joy is very important as it gives you a distraction and helps you forget your problems for a little while.
starrySunshine87
The way that I find meaning for my life is by creating things. Art, writing, anything that I made from nothing. The fact that I created something really helps with that.
TheProvider89
February 22nd, 2017 5:12am
You find meaning in the things you do. Make your bed in the morning, brush your teeth, or tell yourself the day will be a great day. Small goals must be set and you can use those goals to create small achievements in your life creating a purpose until you find something you are great at to create purpose for yourself. Life is worth living. All emotion is worth expressing because even the sad ones make the happy ones feel even better.
YoureNotAlonexo
One of the things about depression is that it switches the link between motivation and action so you end up having to do things before you feel motivated to do them. Surround yourself with positive people, who will support you and motivate you to do things you've always wanted to do, never be afraid to step out your comfort zone, every little achievement you make will thrive you to do things you never thought you could, you can do it!
Anonymous
Pay attention to the people/things that mean most to you. If you're not sure what exactly that is yet, keep your eyes open for it. Also, evaluate all of your relationships in life and determine whether they're making a positive or negative impact on you. You don't need the negative bringing you down. You'll feel a lot better when you rid them. You'll find your place eventually, never give up! :)
Trustzy
Too often we think we find meaning in life because of the great things we accomplish. However, i think that most of the time it really are the small things in wich we will find meaning and hope for the next day. And always remember ´the flower does not dream of the bee, it blossoms and the bee comes. Meaning that when you start to do simple and daily things, and enjoy those, the bigger things will follow gradually. Never did a tree grow in one day.
midnightmoon62
At some point in everyone's life, we feel this way. You are not alone. Find a passion to occupy your mind/time. This can be meditating, music, sports, or even writing. Finding a passion can really change your state of mind.
Fenixashes37
Find your inner happiness and don't attach that inner happiness to someone or something. you should do and enjoy what makes you happy. Anything with positive energy in it that will want you to do it again.
prettypurplepetal
There is so much meaning in every life- we just have to find it! For some people it's easy- they find something they love to do with no problem at all. But others need to experiment with different things, you'll eventually find something you're passionate about and that's where the meaning lies!
towardaquietmind
i think this is such a difficult question. The answer is so personal to each and every person. In my experience one place many people start is by remembering what they used to enjoy, or what they used to find meaningful. They many not feel like it is enjoyable now or even want to do it, but sometimes just be "going through the motions" you are re-able to discover some enjoyment in life. This is always a better place to start when searching for meaning. For others it may be that this is a time to completely re-evaluate their lives; to search for new goals and change direction. This is maybe a more daunting task but perhaps it can be tackled by first acknowledging what it is you are feeling, accepting that you are feeling this way for a reason and then being interested as to what that reason is.
ostrobogulousworld
Well, depending on this severity, I will say that finding professional help would be very important as well as focusing on self care. If you're having suicidal thoughts, please contact a hotline. That being said, a meaning in life is really acknowledging those positive moments we feel. Life naturally has ups and downs. It's not a steady incline, but instead comes in waves. Knowing that, we can try to see our happy moments more easily. Happiness and purpose comes in many places- relationships being a big one, hobbies that fulfill you, and potential career, etc. If you've found yourself in a slump, make sure first and foremost to take care of your physical health. With that, try to keep a running list of small, positive moments as they happen. It will keep you looking out for them, and see how they most likely hit with more impact than the negative.
heretohelpabi
Finding something to immerse yourself in is easier said then done, but that is exactly what I did and I managed to fight my depression because I found my meaning in music. Activities that can be done alone such as listening to music, running, cooking, whatever it may be would be a good place to start. You need to figure out what gives you that warm feeling inside when you're feeling your lowest. You need to find that feeling for yourself and it may seem sometimes that you don't have the energy to or you simply don't care anymore. But, when you find that thing that doesn't make you feel alone, I assure you, all those times when you felt like giving up, you will realise how strong you are to keep going.
Djchristian
I'm sorry that you feel this way and I understand what that is like but you have to understand that there is always room for hope. You have to find something that you love and invest yourself in it, give yourself purpose because you can find it in yourself you just have to believe that.
NewBegininings41
The meaning of life comes from within us, not from people or things around us. The harder we try to find the meaning through relationships, finances, academia, politics, etc., the emptier we may actually feel. It's not to say those things don't ADD meaning. They certainly do. But meaning in each and every one of our lives is more like finding inner peace, knowing our purpose, and loving ourselves unconditionally in spite of the hardships we may have been through or are currently facing. No one can steal these these from you, no one can give them to you, and you cannot buy them anywhere. Meaning in your life will not be the same from person to person. Each individual has a powerful impact on his/her/their circle of influence, but that circle may look nothing like the person next door or in the next country. Once you have set things in order inside your own temple, things begin to become clearer of how you can make a positive impact on those around you. Much peace and love to you throughout your journey!
Anonymous
Find something you enjoy, an activity. Perhaps you need a good novel to read, or a new sketchbook and nice pencils to draw with. Or maybe chill with animals? Horses are really good to just pet or groom. Even to just feed grass. Actually a lot of animals can be therapudic. Maybe look online, find a local shelter to volunteer at.
SoulHealing
Did you consider working on something that can help others like charity or social work? Have you considered making new friends, a family? Maybe religion or meditation ?
funnySeal12
Lets see if i can answer this question well Life is pointless it is up to you to give it a point ...... that can be a huge thing like curing cancer or something small like reading all you can ....... you can stick to a point for years or months or devote your life to it .... the meaning you find in life is the meaning you give it
joanishere
Go outside very early in the morning and watch the sunrise. Make warm tea or cider (or another warm drink depending on your preference). Draw something that makes your heart happy, even if you can't draw. Switch up your room until you're happy with the appearance. Cry. Yes, cry. Crying is okay and it helps sometimes. Last of all, breathe. Just you being able to breath is very precious. Don't lose that ability. You are giving the plants oxygen to keep them alive. Find the things that make you happy and surround yourself with them.
Dontshytalk
Life is a big experience altogether. It should never be judged with a single or few bitter experiences. A difficult situation today might make you forget your cheerful days you cherished in past life. There is lot of new things and happenings which you are not even aware of. So to find meaning we need to live it as well. Life is not a book to be read in a day, it is an open sky where there are beautiful galaxies as well and destroyed meteorites as well. Life is more than any meaning provided you don't search for a meaning.
Mitel
March 3rd, 2018 2:47pm
You were born to learn, to discover, to decide, to experience, to live, to grow physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually, materially, to give and to leave something good behind you.
LucieG
Find strength in the small things, even just getting up in the morning is a step in the right direction. Maybe stay off social media for a while as pressure to be like others can leave you feeling down sometimes. Do things you used to love, even getting fresh air and taking time to surround yourself with calm nature might help.
Anonymous
Set goals. Begin by setting small daily/weekly goals. Even if your goal is as simple as going for a long walk or to try a new recipe. I believe that in life, it is often the little things that make a big difference.
FreeField47
Life has countless possibilities of things to do. You could hike through the Grand Canyon, lead a musical in your hometown, start a punk-rock band with a few of your friends, or do any other number of things. That's not to say that the little things aren't important either, because a cup of ice-cream on a hot summer night, or walking around a park with a few friends, or even just watching tv is meaningful.
Anonymous
Look around you for things that you enjoy, even the simplest thing could lead you through wonderful paths.
Anonymous
The meaning in your life can be found anywhere. You don't need to be a successful doctor in order to feel happy in your life. Every person experiences happiness differently. Try to find what makes you happy. Start small, with petting a kitten and cuddling with a stuffed animal and then continue to grow, going on big vacations and buying a new house. Only you can discover yourself.
Anonymous
Personally, I don't subscribe to the idea of "finding meaning" in life, since I discovered that meaning is something which I assign to life. What i do instead is find the AWE in life. Those are the things that make up my everyday existance: plants that fill the world with green and every other color, also the flowers and food, the beautiful sky and pure air i breathe. I find the natural world to be awesome, the animals that, like me, live off the plants and the oxygen that they generate from the sun. Existence is so incredible that to attempt to assign it meaning is just an exercise in futility. Revel in the pure wonder of life, and leave meaning out of it.
Favor2020
February 23rd, 2019 3:48pm
Well, there are a lot of people in the world who are looking for there place in it. Once you find your purpose in life everything will become much easier for you to understand and why you exist. Everyone have a role to play in this world the only problem is that we have to find our own roles. It is a shame that life does not come with a road map. If it did perhaps more of us could stay on course and find our destiny. I just want to say to you whatever, you like to do in life is closely connected to your purpose. Keep looking, and searching for your place and one day you will walk right into it. I wish nothing but the best as you continue to pursue your calling life.
SupporterFurrUwU
There is no meaning in it. You can be happy, rich, or an adventurer, but you will die anyway, and there is nothing we can do about it. I feel like even if my life sucks, I'm here for a reason like... I should help people before I die, so... Help others. That's the best way to "live a meaningful life". You also can believe in the afterlife. Sorry for not being helpful, but the " meaning of life" is to give. Knowledge, food, idk. The more the better, so why not producing first? Hope you find more help on other forums and once you'll find peace.
Rocknangel
Maybe you are right, maybe life is pointless and meaningless, in the end our material possessions or career or relationships dont really matter, the passage of time makes every small thing insignificant, everything is forgotten. Its strange but I think that the meaning of life can be found in small moments of happiness, when you help someone and make their day, when you try to comprehend nature and are just amazed at how complicated everything is, when you find a hobby or job that you are so passionate about that you forget time, when you realize how crazy love is, etc. Maybe life does not have any meaning but I guess what matters is how we feel and how we think since our thoughts and feelings are what adds meaning to life.
supportiveDreamer61
Please don't hurt yourself. Is there a family member or friend who cares about you? What do you or used to enjoy? What productive things do you do? Perhaps look into some spiritual and or religious service. Perhaps attend a religious service. Volunteer. Go out into the community. Do you have a pet or child? You're breathing and your heart is beating. That is your purpose. Do you have and goals or dreams? What would you say to a friend if they had your issue? Go into nature. Breathe fresh air. Exercise. Smile. Don't give up. You're here for a reason.