I feel like life is pointless. How can I find meaning in my life?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Tranquility247
Life is full of challenging mountains to climb. The world is full of peer pressure and stressful situations from society to live inside this box of working 40 hours a week to pay bills. These responsibilities can make anyone feels pointless when struggling to find meaning. There is so much more to life my friend! People say we only live once in life, but that is so far from the truth. We live every day of our lives and only die once. The next morning when the sun rises is a chance to make a new beginning! The willpower to start the next chapter is just three words away, “I want more!” A switch to see the world in a whole new light is inside of you. Humans often put their dreams off to the next day, but it’s never guaranteed. Dreams are meant to be chased every day with the passion that burns in our hearts. It takes a little urge to fight for change to kindle the bonfire of desire in us. Your soul is beautiful is going to set the world on fire one day! Take the small step to the rest of your life and want a little more today!
ComfortingAngel94
I understand you are going through a challenging time at the moment, look at our 7 Cups support guides for some support and guidance in helping you feel better and help you feel at ease. We have a lot of trained Listeners that can help listen to you and ease the concern you are currently feeling with your life. We have many guides to read and there is a lot of wonderful wisdom in the guides that is easy accessible on 7 Cups. I hope this will help and be beneficial to helping you find the answers you are looking for here.
plushUnicorn4912
Life is pointless, we are here in this world because of pure luck/accident. So, we can be anything we want. Of course, because we live in society, there are rules to follow and duty to undergo. If you make sure of following the rules (not hurting other people, etc.), if you look at what you like in life, you can have an idea of what you want to do and how to get there. What you want to do will be your goal and purpose. How to get there will become your actions and that's how you'll be able to find meaning in your life: pursuing things you like to do/achieve.
JessicaMary94
I think there’s one particular reason why many of us feel completely lost. It’s because we’re searching for the wrong thing. Many early philosophers believed that our primary motivation in life was personal pleasure or happiness — that’s just what we strive for and that’s just what our purpose is.
Anonymous
Everday when you wake up, think of three things you're thankful for. Smile, everything gets better. It's still not the end of everything.
blissfulVision89
People find meaning in life by pursuing their passions and what brings them joy. Follow your heart.
darlingyouregorgeous
You can find meaning in your life through many different means. One of my favorites is by helping others. Helping others makes them feel good and you feel good about yourself. I would suggest volunteering at an animal shelter or a soup kitchen, or cleaning your house and donating everything you would normally throw away that others could use.
Anonymous
You can find meaning in life by finding a hobby you enjoy, like sports. If hobbies don't help, find someone to listen to you, and support you whenever you feel sad. You should also make sure that you tell yourself every day that you are amazing, no matter what anyone else says. You are the meaning of your life.
Anonymous - Expert in Depression
start by doing the things you love. by being with the people you love. try to find a spark of happiness and light it. Don't be around people who put you down and if in a case you have to be do not let it get to you. You can consider asking others or looking on line for others experiences as well
Anonymous
Pack two sets of clothes. Get the tickets and travel to the himalayas. Try rock climbing and reach a tall spot. Look down and spot all the details. If you can jump and yet live you'll not need a further meaning. If you however you don't get it, Life goes on, it never ends ! One life ends another begins. We live we die, your life my life all the same. The meaning if you wanna find out .... like I said, you gotta live a thousand years in the himalayas.
Anonymous
Find the things you love to do anything in your life is important just find it and you will be sure of it I would think.
olivia579
For me, sitting down and thinking about my likes and dislikes got me to branch out and join some clubs and outside activities. Personally, that was theatre, but everyone is different! Get out there nd try new things!
littlelotuslexi
Adopt or spend more time with a pet. Raising an animal can make you feel responsible and as though your life has purpose/meaning!
JordanPeraltaa
From experience, I understand how you are feeling. I found that slowly setting myself new, small challenges everyday helped me to feel more worthwhile to others.
Anonymous
It's all about you and what you want for yourself. What makes you happiest in life? What career do you want to pursue? What do you want to do with your life? Finding the meaning to your life is based off of the things you want and your interests.
Iauren
Hello dear, first find the thing that you enjoy doing. What do you truly love to do, and can you change that into a career? Use this as motivation to getting through the hard days :)
Anonymous
Finding the right person and the hobbies that we like the most may help us find the right thing to do in life. After all - all the doors are open :)
Anonymous
February 21st, 2016 3:34pm
You sounds frustrated, if so, you can always refer to the 7 cups guide or contact a suicide hotline just in case the problem becomes worse.
peacefulBubbles40
Life is never pointless according to me! Life just needs to be taken positively because we know one thing "we got this one life only to love,we don't know what will happen afterlife ,so my life Is to live and I would do the same"! But some or the other day ,there is atleast one thing happening that may make us feel that we are not liable of living.we should die. But seeing to this issue,we should feel more excited to live because whatever problems have come they have made us immune to them and We can live more better. My favourite author has said " teenagers can never die.they are like all energies which can never be created nor destroyed.they change their shapes..manifestations. They are inevitable .and we are inevitable . we are real heroes and so life of us is no more than of a superhero.so love your life ". :)
YunusB
That's such a big question and no one I've met has a succinct answer that covers any given scenario. All I've discovered is that serving another person in some way, however small, can change the way we feel about the world. It doesn't require thought, just a little action.
Vaux
You can find meaning in your life if you find something that you really love or care about and stick to it. If you do an activity, for example, that you'll really enjoy, then you will find that it gives you some purpose, because of the joy it gives you and if you're good at it. If you take care of a pet, then you also gain a sense of purpose, because you have to care for it and love it.
serenePerspective29
Find joy in the little things like rain, smiling at people when they pass you by, Do little things that you enjoy and help others!
introspect1ve
find meaning in life by creating something that is unique to you, and trying your best to make a difference in the world.
colorfulSummer66
Think about the things that make you happy. Write them down if that makes it easier. Then think about ways you can apply those things in your life.
Anonymous
Fins something that you truly enjoy doing! Go on a trip- long or short, and experience new things! It doesn't have to be far- even staying with a relative for a while can offer a new perspective on life. Try new things, do new things- life is yours!
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2016 11:52am
we all have a reason to live. and if we didn't have one, then we would've been dead by now. you just have to wait, have hope and try finding happiness in small things in life.
Saltedbythesea
March 2nd, 2016 2:54pm
Focus on things outside of yourself. Get involved in something where what you do helps others and is also something you enjoy.
cuddlyCat32
March 2nd, 2016 8:07pm
You can find meaning in your life by helping others or volunteering somewhere helping others gives you meaning
LeafOnTheWind2
March 3rd, 2016 8:25pm
Many people will experience this feeling. By taking this as a sign that it might be time for something new, we can motivate ourselves to explore new hobbies and careers, or reinvent/rediscover who we are and what brings excitement and joy to our lives.
Anonymous
March 3rd, 2016 9:38pm
Well, there is something going on in your life because of which you feel life is pointless. But let me tell you one thing, life is beautiful. Yes it throws difficult challenges at you and expects you to tackle with them to help you grow and become stronger. I agree some lessons of life are too harsh and hard to accept but you know what life is all about moving ahead. Every person in this life gets only one chance to live and what we do with this one chance defines our whole life. We depend our happiness on things and people and that's where we make the biggest mistake of our life. Instead of believing in our own self and loving our own self, we start judging and criticising our selves. To find a meaning in your life, First you have to ACCEPT yourself. When you accept who you really are you don't feel rejected or you don't feel the need of appreciation from anybody else. Now decide what are the most important things in life which gives you true happiness? and by things i don't mean things literally I mean what experiences makes you feel alive? does playing guitar makes you feel alive? does writing a poetry makes you feel alive? does cooking makes you feel so? find out the things which make you feel alive and I don't thin life would seem pointless to you. What is the basic purpose of life? To do what you desire. Let your passion guide you to the happiness and purpose of your life.