I feel like life is pointless. How can I find meaning in my life?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
I think you need to find your happiness, you may be lost in the moment. You have to figure out what makes you happy. Live on where you are happy, we may sometimes take away the things that are unnecessary and hard to let go but once we found our place, once we'll find our happiness then, we'll find the meaning of life.
lavieestbelle95
Look up to your past, to the moment where you also felt this way. What made you survive? If this is the first time of you feeling this way, then you should look for hobbies, passion, people that you love, or things, pets, anything. Do something new. Don't be sad over people or the mean ones, or your boss, or your boss who is mean, or your frienemies. Don't. Be happy. Make yourself proud. Make them wonder why is it about you that makes you survive. All my prayers ‚̧
Kelleyd83
What has helped me is developing a spiritual relationship with a Higher power. I know that sounds "religious" so bear with me. What has given me meaning is finding something higher than myself to love and to be loved by. Meaning happens naturally when we come into contact with something higher than ourselves and it can be the most uplifting, fruitful and pleasant experience. Good luck, friend!
Nahsha
You can try and be diverse. Meaning. If you go home and find your self doing the same thing as a routine 24/7,change it up. You might be feeling like this constant repetition is boring but you might continue to do it because you're so use to it. Go out and meet new people. If you pretend to be happy, you might end up decreasing such negative thoughts in life. It will never hurt to try :)
Anonymous
Yes, absolutely it is until you don't search for its meaning. Its always easy to leave hope and just think its not worth it but if you try living it you will find the point you are right now missing. Try falling in love with yourself, love everything without expecting something in return you will get the meaning of your life. :) Be happy.
HeartfeltWords5
Finding meaning in one's life when there's no goal is really hard, especially when you set your limit and give up. My say on this would be to explore oneself and find our dream. The one thing which would make our lives happy and good. Set up goals and take up discipline as a lifestyle. A little flunking is okay, a little party too. But, my friend, I can surely say that there is a limit to it. Don't exceed it. Remember though, there is no limit to dreaming. The limit is not the sky, the science or the whole damn universe. It's your mentality.
beautifulheart100
April 22nd, 2016 2:13am
Looking around me.. i will find family.. friendz... and people i love.. that would really light up my life agin!
Anonymous
The meaning of life is open to interpretation. Consider the people that love and care for you, consider the lives you have touched and those who have touched yours. Your meaningfulness is not based on your success, achievements, ranks, scores, etc. it is based on much more than that. You were brought into this world for a reason. Think about the things you enjoy, no matter how big or small. These things matter to you. You matter to this world. You are loved. You are wonderful and deserving.
goldenHeart58
Perhaps start to write things you hate in your life and write down all the things that you've enjoyed in life and things you might want to try; hobbies, be they creative, physcial challenges; volunteering;or joining a social group or any other things you might fancy doing? Its exciting to try new things.! And life feels more enjoyable its easy to get into a rut and feel bored by life. You dont have to spend lots of money always!
allnaturalUnicorns44
I think we all feel that we want our life to have more purpose at one time or another. When I feel that way, I find a way to help someone. I think human contact is important in giving our life meaning. It helps to give of yourself
humminghawk
I have grappled with this same thing. It is tough! It is rough! "What am I? Why am I here?" I know those questions well. I will say this: If you search, you will find meaning. But you can also make meaning. This is your power as a human being. Apart from you, Life is meaningless. This is not something to be down about. Life just is. It's not good nor bad, not right nor wrong, just is. Here is an act for you: On the next beautiful day, sun shining, blue sky, go find a tree. It can be any tree, but you will know which one when you see it. Have a blanket with you, if you want, and ask this tree if you may sit in the shade beneath it. Feel the tree, feel it answer you, "Of course." And sit. Sit and listen to the tree, its leaves, the birds in its branches... Is there meaning here? You tell me. Peace :-)
Cito16
By time. Time will makes me understand and grow. There's so many phase in life bad and good. And that's makes me now.
Anonymous
See you got to know the real you when you are alone and feel depressed the best thing about now is you are at a point in life where you don't have anything to lose so whatever you do will only be counted as bonus not a loss .So start a fresh
Muscasha96
You can always find the meaning of life behind nature , the circle of life , that every little tiny detail happens for a reason. Or behind the smile of the ones you love.
Anonymous
You can find the meaning of your life by loving yourself and finding out your passion. Besides, try to find happiness and satisfaction in even the smallest things. Hope it will help.
2cupsofteaa
Be open to new experiences. If possible, perhaps try traveling and meeting new people. Maybe then you'll find that life can be beautiful too!
Anonymous
One day think this 'you are not in your life anymore. You a re nothing you are looking at the children , homeless, not happy, painful, and they are can't stand anymore' look. You are important. And if you try to understand you can figure it out
wonderfulPanda98
During the days I was seeing my psychologist she told me that the best way to find something to give sense to your life is to help others. To this day, I try to follow her advice. If you feel like you have no purpose, my honest advice is do any kind of volunteering. When you do something without expecting something in return you gain more than you'd ever wish. Anything that we do in a selfless way brings us more gratitude than we could ever hope for. By helping others we realise that we help ourselves.
Anonymous
To be that wonderful collection of space dust that is to affect and effect, love and live if you let yourself, and to experience the world in all of it's terrifying and beautiful intricacies. The meaning is to make it all your own
Anonymous
Finding meaning in life is one of humanity's greatest pursuits; it comes to many people in many forms. Just because you can't, right now, find meaning in your life does not mean your life is pointless - it just means you haven't found meaning *yet*.
KrisisKontrol
When you set out to help others, it gives you a sense of purpose and accomplishment. That way, you know you've done some good in the world.
Anonymous
What I did was read. Suck on knowledge, learn about what other people find interesting and meaningful. I recommend any scientific field or anything that interests you.
Anonymous
The answer is both beautiful and tragic: you create your own meaning in your life, your own passion, and only you ultimately can find that for yourself. Keep searching!
soothingSunrise86
Start by enjoying the little things. Small steps first. Day by day. Take pleasure in the details, The breeze in a rainy morning, your favourite meal...
Anonymous
If you feel that life is pointless at times try going outside for a run and to each person you see say hello and try help someone
UniqueFun
Life is a shell. You make something out of it. Not find it. So don't search and take action in your life.
CLUBTRBL
You take deep breaths, and you take it slow. Baby steps towards small goals will feel refreshing and satisfying. Try not to rush into things, because you won't be able to enjoy the process. Reconnect with your loved ones, and do things that you're more interested in with them. Occupy yourself with books/outdoor activities so you don't overthink :)
shasha25
surround yourself with love one, and you will realize how much your life mean for both them and you.
CourageousSunset30
I'm sorry you feel this way. Can you tell me more about why you think this? Why do you feel as though you need a meaning in life?
SkiesTheLimit278
My biggest suggestion is (not to sound cheesy) take each day as it's own gift in the world. That each day is another day with everyone you love, and will love you no matter what