I hava a depressed friend who is grieving .I am unable to approach her.She only pushes me away and I am unable to care.We dont talk when we are left alone.What I can do for her ?

Mexico

Paola Giordani, Psychoanalyst

Licensed Psychoanalyst

I have helped and am helping people cope with loss, divorce, anguish and parenting. Depression is also a major issue that comes up.

Anonymous
When people are grieving, it takes time for them to process their stressful, overbearing emotions and thoughts, and anyone that goes near them can come off as intrusive, no matter how close they are. The best thing you can do for your friend and give her the space she needs to emotionally heal. However, this doesn't necessarily mean you have to stay silent and hope she responds. Send her a message that says something similar to this: "Hey I know you're going through a difficult time right now, and I'm so sorry these things happened to you. I just wanted to let you know that you can call me whenever you need someone to be there for you. I'll always be here to listen to you and support you."
Charlotte996
Depression can be just as difficult for people around the person as it is for the person. However, it's important to keep in mind that it isn't personal and that despite it hurting, you have to respect what they want (as long as they're not hurting themselves). However, reading about depression can be just as much help. Educating yourself about her mental illness and the effects of it can be just as beneficial as it means you'll know better how to act around her. It will also help you feel less powerless when it comes to your own thoughts and actions.