I have no friends in high school or college. What should I do?

Trishna Monplaisir, LMSW

We are here to advocate, empower and provide compassion to individuals who need help.

Anonymous
March 23rd, 2016 4:41am
Maybe you should start initiating conversations and approaching people instead of waiting for them to approach you.
oj1711
March 23rd, 2016 12:29pm
You don't need friends. Everybody leaves in the end, yo should be your friend, lover, and everything, all you ever need is you.
MeanBuster
Depending if you have social anxiety or not, intervene into groups. Find people who are most like you. Alternatively, you could benefit or help people when they are open to. To summarize, find something to do with others will get you points. If you have social anxiety, try it on a smaller scale. Evaluate from the side lines and look for a chance to offer opinions on how you feel that you know they agree with. This takes the anxiety of rejection away.
Anonymous
I went through and I am going through the same thing right now, just focus on you, your goals and your dreams. It can be lonely at times, but we can make it through no matter what!
Steppenoak22
Well i always recommend people to be themselves, even if being yourself doesn't get you any friends, because if you pretend to be someone else on the long run you aren't going to feel any kin dof connection with the friends you got being that way, so yeah basically be yoursefl and probably someone will wan to be your friend sooner or later, and also is quite important to stay open and humble.
Bast
I spent time learning about my hobbies in depth. In time, that interest brought me in contact with people who had the same hobbies as I did.
BaileyMhaggett
you should try to go to more social event's or talk to someone and find out more about them and see if things work out :)
gracefulHeart44
Getting involved in extracurricular activities is a great way to make new friends and connections.
DrumBhudda
Join a club, go to a local event, get a hobby and find people who also enjoy it. These are just a few ways in which you can build new relationships but it has to take action on your part in order to do it.
Ijit99
April 2nd, 2016 4:17am
Well....I maybe have 2 friends. I've tried and tried. My answer was books. They are lovely
Miracle
It is quite common to not have friends in high school or college, and often people do not keep the friends they make here. It is important to analyse why it is that you don't have friends, are you naturally an introvert?, do you take a long time to trust people, do you have social anxiety or anger issues perhaps, once you have identified and addressed the reasons you can start to reach out to others and make friends, be aware though friendships involve give and take so don't let people take advantage of you. It might help to join a club or society at college or if you play a sport get involved in that, relationships are challenging and building up friendships takes time whatever happens though don't give up, it's all a learning experience.
onedirection1213
you can make friends like just go up to someone and start talking to them or in a group or a room mate in college you can just act friendly or yourself and ask them about how they are doing, or there hobbies. :)
Anonymous
Have you tried to make friends outside of school? You could try to volunteer or join activities :) good luck
compassionateSunshine76
Try to initiate first. Go and share any common interest to anyone sitting around, you feel comfortable with or else in any condition of not getting it for any reason then you, yourself is enough to accompany you by reading something good to yourself. Because not everybody can be your good friend but that doesn't mean to go to anybody for being friends.
Anonymous
focus on your school work your make friend later on but right now working in school is way more inpotent
bluelotus99
good friends are really a matter of good luck since such people are really hard to find. to increase your chances you can go out there and talk to people yourself. try an active approach.
Anonymous
You should start making some! Yeah, it is a silly answer, but why would people think of talking to you - for example - if you aren't talking to them? Maybe they think you don't want to make friends with them. Have you thought about it this way?
Craftsman
Think about the reason, why you don't have friends. If the reason is related to you, then you can consider changing that.
Erynn
Making friends can be hard. I feel it's a bit of a fluke who you mesh with and who you don't. What has helped ME is to join groups, clubs, go to community events, or say hi to people in class. These things do not guarantee you a friend, but they increase your chances. Volunteering, joining a study group, or finding a gym/running buddy can help too. One great resource you might find in your community is conversant partners, where someone learning a language and someone native in the language pair up to chat weekly or so. I have met some interesting people that way! Finding friends can be a slow process sometimes, so make sure you're also taking care of yourself as you seek out opportunities to meet people. Starting with yourself and your own emotional health can be very helpful.
Anonymous
Try joining a club or activity. You will be able to find other people with similar interests to you.
thatbethgirl
I think that one of the best ways to meet new people and find new friends is to find people with common interests. Try joining clubs that interest you and you can find other people that enjoy the same things as you. It's a great place to find new friends.
MaybellineJMZ
Tyy to talk to someone who has something in common wth you, maybe the same music taste, movies, go to a bar, or a coffee shop.
entrepreneurboy
You should find out your interests and hobbies and look for people with common interests either through online or offline channels.
peacefulIris56
The best thing to do is get involved in an extracurricular activity or sport. That is a good way to make friends.
calmspirit
I think it's good to always remember that you're never truly alone as long as you have yourself. I have been in this position too, and it's not easy. But focus on your education, eventually you'll find the people you were destined to meet in life. Never give up hope, you're incredible but it takes the right people to know that. If others don't, it's their loss, not yours.
SpArKliNg101BuTTeR010FLY
Meet new people, and ask them to be your friends, because you have to meet new people, to make new friends.
pandapopxx
Hang in there, it will not last forever... You will be in a job one day with people similar to you, you have to look forward to this.
Anonymous
Friends will definitely come eventually. Focus on your studies, and you might just make a friend or two unknowingly.
Anonymous
I used to have no friends either but then i started and tried to get out there more and try to make some friends wether they are my time or not, as long as you know that someone is out there and willing to keep you company and be there for you when you are sad. It means a lot. Trust me. It'll help. Just knowing that they are there should help bring your mood up too
QueenBrokenDoll
Join clubs, start with smalltalk to people, and generally throwing yourself out there're all great ways to make friends.