I need help with depression

Veronica Wade-Hampton, LPC

I enjoy working with individuals of all capacities as I view the role of therapist as one in which you help the client learn to cope with the pressures of daily life.

It is good that you have realized that you need the help that is the 1st step. Then try looking for a counselor/therapist that you can talk to about the type of depression you are facing and how to deal with it.
Dinah
December 3rd, 2015 12:51am
First step would be talking to a doctor and to a therapist. Second step would be to be very compassionate about yourself. Depression is hard and changes us. It's okay if you don't feel like yourself. Take plenty of rest and do things that makes you feel better. If you can, talk to someone you trust and that you know won't judge you. You can always use the chat here if you want :) I have battled a few depressions in my life and it's always a long road. Everytime I thought there would be no issue. But I fought and got help and it DID get better. Take care!
Anonymous
me too. let's talk!
Anonymous
Reach out to those close to you. I know it's hard, but it's worth it.
Lexiluh
Recognising that you feel like you need people around you to support you through something like this is the first step to recovery! :) Depression can feel very lonely but the lovely listeners on 7cups and the professionals too are there to engage with you to make it a little easier. We've all been through ups and downs in our lives and it can be so difficult, so please know you're not alone! Sometimes the only thing that can significantly improve these feelings you're having is medication, prescribed by a counsellor or therapist, so it might be worth going to see a professional so they can improve your life that way. Just talking to someone can also improve how you feel and maybe get a load off your chest also because it is so hard to overcome without support, so we're here for you! :) Once you talk to someone and discuss why you think that you're feeling this way, we can learn how to face it and learn coping mechanisms to trudge through the rough points and smile at the end of the day :D
greenJOHN1971
Ok, how can I help? What seems to be the problem? Oh, dear, 100 character minimum. Not Met just Yet!
tammy0hopeisreal
It always helps to talk to someone you trust about how you feel--an adult, a close friend, school counselor, etc. This helps you put your feelings in perspective and figure everything out. Sometimes depression causes us to be harder on ourselves than we really should be.
KatHellsing
Depression is hard to deal with. But it is possible for it to go away. Try journaling your feelings; just write down what you're feeling, make a journal, or write down negative feelings you're having and rip the paper up. Drawing is good too. Anything creative. Also exercise is good too, it get's your mind off negative things and makes your body function better by keeping it active. Talking to somebody helps a lot too. Try talking to a therapist or counselor, just get things off your chest and they might prescribe you an antidepressant to help fight your depression. Good luck and stay strong!
glassmarble
You can also try out the self-help guide for depression here on 7 cups - just click on "My Path" - "Self-Help Guides" and select "Depression". There you can find information and tips how to deal with your struggles. Good luck!
allysononeal
It is also helpful to look at the self-help guides.
Anonymous
Imagine, dream for all the best things which you wanted to happen in your life. This will give you a lot of positiveness. You can use different strategies to get rid of depression.
LespaceEffaceLeBruit
December 3rd, 2015 7:03pm
Hello, thanks for writing. Realizing that you are depressed is the first step towards happiness. It would be great if you could talk both to listener and to a therapist. Treat your listener as a good, understanding friend and the therapist as someone who is there to help you getting out of your situation. Journaling is also a good idea :) I hope everything turns out right for you. A warm hug
KevinBradley
Go to Therapist and talk about the type of depression you are facing and how to deal with it and see what all things he recommend for it. Or you can also talk to your parents or close friends about it. Good luck and feel better soon. :)
floatingonatidalwave
The fact that you recognize you may need some outside help is a huge step towards managing depression. Talking to a parent or guardian about seeing a doctor or therapist is a good idea, especially since everyone is different. Professionals are great at determining what's right for you!
softNutella25
It's admirable that you've taken the first, and sometimes hardest step, which is knowing when to ask for help. Try looking into connecting with a counselor or a licensed professional who can help you address your concerns and develop a plan for balancing your emotions.
Crest
Well then go talk to somebody here. I don't even remotely get why this is being asked and it's wasting time and space.
devilsOrchestra
speak with a listener on here to release, I would also speak with my GP and let them now how it's affecting your day to day life. You need to remember your never alone feeling like you do.
Anonymous
Depression is a condition that occurs to everyone at some points in their lifetimes , but as it is a feeling that can be produced of unpleasant events , death of a beloved one , a physical or mental illness, etc...depression normally lasts according to the event or the illnesses impact and duration , but then its impact subsides gradually as the person feels better and overcomes the issues , and for these sorts of depression ( that are normal) speaking to someone , a friend , a family member etc..and feeling their support is of great help...but if the depression lasted for long and was characterized with continuity it maybe a disorder and forth seeking therapy would be necessary at this point.
babydollvodka
January 22nd, 2016 1:43pm
Talking to a professional is good as they can see what type of therapy and possible meds you need.
FlowtheUnicorn
Go outside! Staying inside can make you feel bad and sad. So go out and soak up some sunlight, it will make you feel better.
UmbrElla1413
I'm sorry you're feeling depressed, that's a really difficult place to be in. To jumpstart your recovery, it's important to get professional help. You should try to talk to a therapist and a psychiatrist, since talk therapy does the real work, but medication can give you the strength make the necessary change. Also, you should try to eat healthy and exercise daily. If you can, try to leave the house as much as possible, try to get some fresh air and sunlight. Talking to your family and friends is also vital. It may be a hard thing to do, but in recovery, you will need all the allies and support you can get. Last but not least, the golden rule is: Try to do exactly what you don't feel like doing. That means taking a shower when you want to stay in bed, meeting your friends when you'd rather be alone, expressing yourself (f.ex. through music or writing) when you'd rather stay silent and making plans for hobbies and adventures when you never want to go out again. Yes, all these things are struggles. But cutting yourself off from life will only make things worse, and in the end, you will feel better when you continue living it as fully as you can. Don't give up. This could be a long road, but many are walking with you and you don't have to be alone. 😊 You're worth recovery!
TheSupport
You can contact a local therapist or talk to your parents or friends or any adult you trust. You can go to doctor and ask for antidepressants for a short-term medication.
Anonymous
It feels dark and scary, I know, but in the end the only person who can help you, is you. Look outside, the sky is always there. The sky has seen everything, yet it is still there. Take comfort in the constant things. And stay strong.
Anonymous
If you need help please don't be scared to get it. There are many people on the site who can guide you in the right direction or provide information about where to call in a time of need.
Anonymous
The first step into recovery is acknowledging what you're going through so you can then seek professional help.
Turret
The first step to overcoming depression is acknowledging that you have a problem. After that, you must find your way of dealing with the problem, one small step at a time.
LeahMargarita
The most important thing to do is not keep it bottled up inside. Talk to people, wether its your family or friends or even a professional! Once you start talking, you will already feel a bit of relief inside you. Thats one step to helping it :)
Nonpoint77
I have depression and what I find helps dealing with the symptoms is going for a walk, eating healthy, having someone to talk with that is going through the same kind of thing or close to and finding out what has helped them through their struggle, most of all having someone just to listen.
Ashiya
Taking time to deal with depression like staying in or relaxing on your own can help or do more than you think. Reading a book, sleeping, talking to friends or even marathoning a tv series you enjoy can distract you with depression. I personally try to keep my depression in check doing these because it's helped me a lot personally.
Anonymous
We can help you as best we can here, but we are no replacement for proper medical care. If you feel you might have depression, speak to a doctor.