I think I have depression and I want to tell my parents but my brother recently got diagnosed so I feel like they would think that I'm just trying to get attention. What do I do?

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

Anonymous
You should tell them anyways , lots of people have the same problems . They will know your not doing it for attention
Bluewolf1229
I think it would be a good idea to tell them. Explain not your not trying to get attention tell them exactly how you feel and you need their help to.
MontyThayer
Be honest. There are some statistical backings that show a genetic correlation in depression as well as other depressive disorders and it is not uncommon for people in similar situations, such as siblings, to develop depression. Trust that your parents will trust you.
Oval
You should never have to 'prove' your feelings. They really shouldn't be comparing your brother's to yours, anyway- just because he is depressed doesn't make you any less depressed. Remember that even if they respond poorly, there are many other people ready and willing to listen to how you are doing. Friends, counselors at school, etc. And of course, the people here on 7Cups!
SeiraSmiles24
I think most parents want what's best for their children. They want to know if their child isn't happy and how they could help. If you don't feel comfortable talking to your parents directly, ask a school counselor, pastor, or teacher you trust for help. Sometimes, having another adult to start the conversation will keep parents more open to listening.
flusha
Depression has been a trend in my family, and my sisters got diagnosed before me. Telling my parents was one of the harder things to do. When I finally worked up the courage I had a overwhelming feeling of pride, and the help that came afterwards was extremely beneficial.
sam09Rodriguez
You are your own individual person and shouldn't feel like you are being compared to anyone, regardless of if they are family or not. Don't feel like you are alone
MyFinestHour
I think that your parents will understand that you are being sincere in what you are saying - they may have noticed it also. I would have an open conversation about it with your parents and gauge their reactions. Maybe talking to your brother and how he told them and is dealing with it. If your parents do not believe you, you can ask to see a therapist, and get an diagnosis which your parents would not be able to brush any so easily. Good luck!
glisteningLake87
March 22nd, 2017 6:18am
You need to explain that your feelings are valid, even though your brother was disagnosed first it does not make your issues or depression any less significant
Anonymous
Depression can be dangerous, it's important to reach out for help especially to people you feel close to. It will undoubtedly be worth having a serious conversation with your parents about how you are feeling. Getting help is the only way depression can improve. You may also find it useful to speak to a councillor or someone you trust to help clarify your feelings, but ultimately, professional help shouldn't be overlooked.
NickTm
I think you definitely shouldn't wait to tell them. From experience, I know that suppressing such a serious mental illness like depression only makes it worse. If you really explain it to them truthfully, they will know you're not seeking attention. Even if they react negatively, letting them know you have these feelings will make you feel better.
AllThatGlitters1
Talk to your brother so you're both not fighting alone and able to help each other through the hard times and discuss ways of coping with them. Be honest with your parents, if people don't know they can't help. Be as open and as honest as you can and don't be afraid to ask for help
Anonymous
I believe that telling them would be the best idea. It's better to tell someone, anyone about something that been on your mind. Especially your parents, they're the best people that can help because they can always find you help if they need to.
imbrandybuck
Depression can often run in the family along with anxiety and the like. Be as honest as you are comfortable with with your family, this may be a good opportunity for both yourself and your brother to get help together.
WinterDog
I was literally in that same position a couple of months ago, not even joking. I didn't tell them for ages because of my brother and it got worse and worse until I finally did and they were so nice about it and were glad I told them instead of suffering in silence. It's up to you but I suggest sitting down with them and explaining the situation and making it clear that despite what it may seem like, you are not doing this for attention. I'm sure they will understand and would want you to tell them instead of suffering on your own. Good luck.
neverendingWatermelon92
I would suggest talking to someone you trust, telling them that you think you may have Depression. Or make an appointment with your doctor and discuss this with them, if those options are not right for you, try talking to a therapist on 7 Cups!
Asja
You need to explain to them that that you're saying is serious. And that it is easier for you to tell them after they accepted someone else with it.
Anonymous
May 3rd, 2017 12:34am
Depression runs in families. I would definitely tell your parents if you are feeling depressed so you can get proper help. Certainly they wouldn't think you were just after attention. They want the best for you!
Neverend1ngLake
If you think you have depression, you should always ask for help. Depression is not a call for attention, but an imbalance of the compounds in our brains and should be treated by a doctor. Talk to your parents, be assertive, share how you are feeling. Your parents want you to be okay in the end, so even if they don't believe you right away, they will offer the help you need. If you are feeling insecure about telling them, picture yourself getting the help you need and how that will improve your quality of life so much!
RainbowPrincess360
Maybe you could tell them by saying that your brothers recent diagnosis made you realise that you have the same symptoms and are also suffering from depression. Hopefully they'll be supportive and you and your brother can help each other as you both understand it. Maybe tell them that his diagnosis gave you the confidence to tell them about your depression too
calmParadise87
You should probably go ahead and make your parents aware of your problems. Even though your brother was just diagnosed, it is just as important for them to know what you are dealing with in your life. I would let them know you've been dealing with these issues for a while but hated to mention it to them and that now may not be the best time but you felt they needed to know.
Faithiskey
Your parents probably care more about you than you might think. Tell them and you will feel better and your parents will talk about it and decide what to do.
StepOneListen
I think that what you are feeling is very real. Expressing yourself is important in many aspects of your life. The timing of your brother's diagnosis is what makes the situation seem like attention seeking, If that is the case, try starting with a disclaimer. Something like "I have something I want to speak with you about, and its been on my mind for some time, and I know my brother was recently diagnosed with depression, but I have been having some concerns about my own mental health and I think I may be depressed as well." If that is not going to work, perhaps sit down for a while and write out what you want to say and address so you don't forget to say anything as well. Now that is what I would do. My personal experience with expression and emotion is I need to let it out. If I am feeling some way about something, I will bring it up. Now if your situation is different by all means do what you think is best for you. After all, this is about you and your feelings and what you need. Hope all goes well. Best of luck.
Anonymous
You can tell your parents you think you may have depression and are concerned they will think you're trying to get attention due to your brother's recent diagnosis but you are seriously concerened about your health also.
AiLaikHeda
As much chaos is going on, you cannot deal with depression on your own. You need to at least sit them down and let them know how you feel.
Anonymous
Seek help from them. Just because it is something that a sibling struggles with doesn't mean that you can't have it as well. It might help you and your brother to know that you are going through the same thing that he is. Bring it up in a way that lets them know how long you have had depression and how it affects you, and how you need the support.
NaturalHealer
They would never think that way. If you're going through depression, it is best to tell your parents so that they could help you get the professional help you may need. You need to speak to them candidly and let them know about your situation.
suspiciouslookingcactus
I think that you should try telling your parents that you're worried that you might have depression and that you'd feel a lot better if you talk to a professional about it. Say that you want to make sure that you're emotionally healthy. Hope this was helpful.
scenicMist55
Let me start by telling you that I've had a very similar experience pretty recently; so I'll talk based on my experience. I strongly believe you should talk to your parents about how you feel as soon as possible. Depression is serious disorder and should be taken care of as soon as possible, before it can get worse.
MissLuthien
Just because someone close to you is going through things, doesn't mean that anything that you feel is devalued! Perhaps discuss with your parents how you feel, and that your brothers diagnosis has brought it to the forefront of your mind. Depression isn't convenient, and waiting until a convenient time isnt going to help anyone. Just be honest and straightforward, you being well is just as important as your brother being well.