I think I have depression and I want to tell my parents but my brother recently got diagnosed so I feel like they would think that I'm just trying to get attention. What do I do?

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

Anonymous
Just tell them you think you have depression and would love to get tested as well. They should understand and help you, if not seek out resources to help you get diagnosed with depression.
Anonymous
Very important you tell them. Keeping it to yourself may cause more damage than good in the long run.
Anonymous
Your brother may be feeling alone in his diagnosis, and if you talked to him privately about it, might even a sense of relief. If it were me, I'd talk to him about some of my own struggles, and maybe work together on what to reveal to our parents.
VanessaGraceStory
Explain your whole list of symptoms out on paper to your family and tell them how you feel. Especially tell the truth, it may run in the family and the earlier it's treated, usually the better. But not all cases are the same. Don't try to make assumptions of the situation if you haven't brought it up to them yet, but i understand your concern,
LindaBg
Your parents won't call you an attention seeker. If they send your brother in therapy they will take your problem serious as well.
Anonymous
Just say that you need medical assistance. Let the doctor do their work of diagnosing. They will believe the doctor or psychologist.
SchrodingersCat00
Voice your concern to your parents; opening up the lines of communication can do wondrous things and who knows what they will think? Remember that your health and psychological wellbeing are most important here; it's important to try to overcome the fear so you can get the help you need. Discussion is key.
Anonymous
tell them you feel like you have depression! if your brother got diagnosed why would they think it was strange if you also had it
Licomysterious
Share your thought with us if we fill you should tell your parents then you have to tell or else we are happy at the end
Akadaniella
the same thing happened with my bestfriend,well they thought that at the beginning but when they realize its real they helped her so never be afraid to try.goodluck!
life30
They are your parents. They will understand and they have the right to know.depression should not be ignored after all. Plus you need to confirm weather its depression or you are just feeling low.
RiotRook1991
Tell them anyway. Explain to them that your fears that this might just look like an attention grab, but that it's not. If you're legit concerned about yourself like this, it's best to ask to speak with a doctor, just to be sure. Your parents would much rather you tell them, then have you suffer, promise.
Anonymous
If you're genuinely feeling about your condition the right step is to talk with your parents..take some time though and let them take care of your brother before you go tell them about yourself. They may think whatever but being your parents they'll help you out in the end
Muntasir
Hello there! I know, there's a chance of being misinterpreted. But getting help is really important too. How is your brother now? Is it possible to talk to him about this? I think he might be able to relate with you. Or, do you have any other family members to whom you are comfortable to talk with?
LukaCanWithUg
u have to tell them truth, but not fully, give them that situation slowly, also i think u have to find power in yourself to not stress situation, u have to carry your brother
CrimsonMoon46
Tell them anyway, it's important to be honest and to seek help when you need it. If they think you're only trying to get attention then you may have to find ways of getting help that don't involve your parents assistance, but at least then they can't say you didn't try to let them know.
MamaMonkey
I think that asking for help is always the best option. I think your parents would want to help both of their children
Anonymous
If you suspect you have depression, you need to start a conversation. Having an illness is not a cry for attention. You need to open a discussion with them so you can get help. I know it is scary, but you deserve to be happy and healthy.
Anonymous
Tell them. Your mental health is important too and tell them that depression is genetic and that’s why you could have it too
Anonymous
I understand how this must feel..It must be hard, I would consider talking to your parents about this and explain it isnt for attention, but you are really feeling this way
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2017 9:57am
You need to tell them most certainly, you are just as important as your brother so don't let his diagnosis hide yours. I think the best way to tell them is be truthful, just like you were with us, tell them you were scared to talk to them because you thought they might think you were doing it for attention. But tell them you are not happy either.
Anonymous
it is important that they know,this will not help you at all if you keep it inside, it will make it worse for you. and before they feel like you need to be diagnosed,let them know!
DarkPhoenixeh87
It is very common for one sibling to have depression if their brother-sister does. Afterall, they will have most likely shared and been through similar experiences as children. Bare thisin mind when deciding whether or not your going to tell your parents about your condition, baring in mind that the longer depression goes unchecked, the more unbarable it becomes...
SleepingBeautifully
Maybe try talking to your brother about it first. Tell your parents what you are experiencing. I don't think they will disregard your feelings. I believe that they will take you seriously if you explain to them how you are feeling at the moment.
reflectivemind
Discussing mental health issues is tough at the best of times, it is harder when you feel that others will not understand. If you feel you are unable to talk to your parents maybe reach out to a school counselor, or try bringing it up with your brother.
palan
If you're depressed, and you don't know what to do, you have to find help. A huge reason for depression though is the constant thought "What about me?", combined with low energy levels. A little daily meditation, some good service work, and some centering knowledge should put you right as rain better than any medication (though sometimes medication is necessary)
Anonymous
You should always put your mental health first. Your parents should understand that depression is a serious issue, and you wouldn't fake it for attention. It is important to get help to improve, and hopefully your parents will accept that you need help.
chefor
Perhaps you could talk to your brother about it first. Talk to him about how you have been feeling the same stuff that he has and find comfort in that. When that goes well you can get him to help you talk to your parents. Solidarity gives us a world of strength.
Obstruct
Speaking to your parents, or speaking to anyone in fact about mental illness can be extremely difficult. You're so so brave for even thinking about telling them! It's important to remember that you need to do what will be best for you; if you think telling them will be beneficial then their support may help you recover. Have yout ried talking to your brother? Perhaps talking to him might make you feel more at ease about it. Whatever happens, if you're feeling low and you don't feel like you have anyone to turn to, we're always here. Remember to smile :)
WhoFawkesLock86
Firstly, feeling like you're depressed, does not mean you're looking for attention. Secondly, it is important to address how you're feeling, exactly like it was important for your brother to be diagnosed. Diagnosis and a plan to heal, as per a professional, is the quickest and best way to deal with this. And lastly, they're your parents. They will want to support you just like they support your brother. Please let them know. And if you are hesitating, call up nationwide hotlines and talk to someone before you feel comfortable opening up to them. I hope you get the help and support you need. Take care of yourself.