I think I have depression, but I talked to my parents and they just think I'm bored or getting attention. What should I do?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling, Certification trauma abandonment

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

nrigaud
Talk to a high school counselor, or your doctor. While no, it's a bad idea to go behind your parents backs and do things, it might helps if they hear it from a professional.
HakunaMatata2k
Definitely talk to a professional like your school counsellor as the other listener stated as your parents are in no way trained professionals in the field so they can not really asses you and probably do not want to believe their child is depressed.. Besides if you aren't depressed you obviously have some problems going on that your school counsellor can help you through.
Anonymous
Firstly you have to realise that your parents are not doctors and therefore they cannot diagnose you, if they don't know how depression feels then it can also be impossible for them to understand either. If you want to know if you're suffering from depression then you need to speak to a doctor about it and if you want your parents to support and understand you then the best way is to educate them on what you're suffering with.
circledFlight
Talking to our parents is usually the first logical step when we are lost or confused. They are usually our reliable source of comfort and logic. However, this is not always the case. The truth is, depression is a condition that can often be conflated and recognised incorrectly as boredom or attention seeking. Seeking help, whether from a therapist or 7 cups, is a good next step in your journey to getting better!
Lovelyrose62
Talking to your parents can be very difficult. The more you try to explain, the more they will be able to understand. It could help to write down your thoughts and feelings. Later on, you can show them to your parents. Another thing that could be helpful is seeking a professional to diagnose you. This will give your parents the realization that you need support. Personally, I reached out to my parents after seeking help from my school. It's important to be honest with to be honest with your family. To tell them why you think you have depression and how this is a need for you to recieve support.
Wren134
Hello! I’m Wren, and I’m a listener here on 7 cups. Thank you for reaching out- that sounds like a frustrating situation. Why do you think they responded like that? Your feelings are valid, and should not be brushed under the carpet. Depression can be very difficult to deal with, and is not a way of attention seeking. Is there anyone else you would be able to talk to about this? Facing depression, especially alone, isn’t easy at all, and you are so brave for reaching out! Talking about it is the first step to recovering, and I’m so glad you came on here today! :)