I think I’m depressed and I self harm but I don’t want my parents to find out. What should I do?

April Zamzow, CSW, MA, LPC

There are many times in our lives when we could use an ear to listen and help us through the things that we are struggling with. I can do that.

Clara139175
I completely understand where you're coming from. I used to self-harm and it was so hard to keep it hidden. During the worst of it, I kept a first aid kit hidden in my room, lived in hoodies and leggings, and conned my mom into buying me makeup so that I could cover the scars. I guess I got somewhat lucky that my puppy was so hyperactive and known for leaving scratches so I could blame them on her. Sometimes if there were only one or two cuts I'd simply place a bandaid over them and lie about it (a burn, a fall, a scrape from the woods I walked through). It is terrifying hiding the scars and gives you so much paranoia. All the best
PosiPotato
Talk with your doctor about how you're feeling and where you can turn for some extra help. This may really help you knowing that it's a confidential conversation and she can point you in the right direction, a lot of the time even despite your financial circumstances.
Anonymous
Speak to a trusted adult, consult with someone on 7 Cups, note down when you feel you want to self-harm and seek counselling support.
Eriann17
In my experience telling an adult hasn't really helped, but that's probably not true for everyone. Try finding an alternative to self harm?