I want to run away from home. Should I?

Jannise McKamey-Bruell, LAPC

I am a nonjudgmental counselor that employs transparency, trust, honesty and integrity in her practice and in the therapeutic relationship.

Anonymous
You shouldn't run away, even if you're feeling down there is always hope where you are living. You should ask a trusted adult to help, even if it might be help with your problems at home
Anonymous
Running away won't do much. You would have to go back eventually, and then people will be mad at you for leaving them.
Euxine12
That depends upon the reason why you are running away from home, But I think that isn't a good decision, you can seek help from some mature friends or some support agencies to help you with. I think running away from whatever problems you have at home will not put you to a peaceful state regardless of where you'll go.
thaedeus93
no! dear, if you are in a problem,try to face it,running away from problems do not solve them,....!!
Anonymous
No you shouldn't.... No matter what the case is running away won't help out the situation you are having.
justagirlfromgermany
No,cause running away is not an opinions to solve problems.Try to find an organisation who can help you to find a own place to live
Anonymous
Running away from home is something I know sounds like an escape from everything going on right now, but you can't do this alone for very long. There's temporary homes and crisis shelters all around that you could run to, it's a safer way to remove yourself from the situation that's driven you to this. If you feel you have no choice but to run away, there are guides and toolkits online that can guide you through doing this as safe as possible, know how to approach emergencies, and use this time to take care of yourself too. This feeling is sometimes a fight or flight response, and keeping up the fight gets exhausting. But your adrenaline is surging, you're full of intrusive thoughts, they will pass - and your feeling that you want to do this is a valid feeling - you are allowed to feel this - but you don't have to do it without help and a safety net. You're allowed to reach out. If you run, stop and take a breather, it's worth it.
EphemeralYouth
Running away from home will not solve your problems. All running away will do is present a whole new range of problems, some more deadly and distressing then your current ones
Anonymous
Stay where you are and figure out, why you feel the way you feel. Running away from a problem is never the answer. However, if you're living in a violent household, I'd say get away there immediately. If not, stay and see if you can't solve the problem together.
chale
I've definitely wanted to run away from home too. However, before you take any action, ask yourself the following questions: Is your home a danger to you? Do you have a plan in place to make sure you're taken care of? Do you have friends and other adults who can help support you? How are you going to get money to live off of? Lastly, if you're having difficulties at home, would it be a good idea to maybe talk to someone about what's going on? Another adult may be able to help you find the best solution that works for you.
Anonymous
Depends on your financial and educational state. If you are under deep pressure and able to find a place and money for you. Then I guess.
CK927
Ask yourself befor leaving what am I leaving behind if I do this and is it worth losing all that in the future to make a better change for myself or those around me. Running away without saying a word may lead into panic for most families especially if you're a young adult, so please choose wisely and I hope the best solution may come through. ☺
dreamcatcher95
February 21st, 2016 7:02pm
Sit down. Have a glass of water. Ask yourself,is it worth it? It's not going to change your situation. How long can you keep running away from your reality?
Anonymous
you should build a life first dear one :) I don't know how old are you , but it's the best idea if you study and work so you can save money and you can make a life for your own and be successful but running away without a plan will hurt you more than staying .
momentbymoment
Put your safety first. If your home isn't a safe environment, call an adult who can and will help. Call the police if you're scared you or someone in the house could be injured. Don't wait. If you're having any kind of problem at home that makes you feel like leaving is better than staying, tell an adult you trust - a teacher, counselor, coach, friend's parents. Talk to someone here on 7Cups. Sometimes it takes another pair of eyes to see and understand problems that we're too emotional to deal with.
politeFish31
Running away from home, you can experience difficult issues such as financial difficulty, homelessness, exposure to outside dangers. Try to resolve issues at home but if there are greater issues at hand, there are places you can turn to for help, reach out to relatives that are close by, reach out to friends and also counsellers, school teachers and others. There are sometimes national run away switchboard phone services where you can speak to a professional about your situation and determine what is the best action.
Deeptalks
No, calm and down and think about the people at home and how much they love you, we don't all show each other how we feel, don't make this decision now, think about it again ❤️
creativeDay52
It depends on a lot of factors. First of all, you should be 18 or over first and have all of your documentation and some money. Secondly, does your situation at home something you should run from? Are you being abused? Are you in an environment with drugs or drinking? Thirdly, you need to find a safe place to go like a good friend, family member or shelter.
HakunaMatata2k
It really depends on your circumstances, If your household is in anyway mentally, physically or emotionally damaging you then that is certainly an option although there are much better options like reporting anything that is happening. If you'd want to discuss this further so I can help you get a better idea on the best option for you then please send me a message.
Anonymous
Running away from problems is not normally the answer. Please call a helpline who can help you if you are in trouble pr danger and need help.
Anonymous
I can try to understand your emotions and why you would want to run away from home. But your safety is important and also your necessities such as food, shelter and security is top priority. Try to talk with the persons you are living with and explain as calmly as you can about your concerns and your emotions towards what might be bothering you. In this way you can come to an agreement on helping yourself with the situation and also the persons can be aware on how to help you and what not to do or say to make you feel like you need to run away. I understand that sometimes life may be very challenging but if you can find a way to overcome your challenges you will definitely become a stronger person. To call one's self a fighter , one must experience battles. You will get through this challenge and you will feel very happy about yourself.
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2016 4:55pm
It's always best to not run away from you're problems. Instead of running away, try to face then head on.
Winter41
March 3rd, 2016 2:59am
Depending on why you are willing to do so , in case of violence and abuse call security hotlines and they will be able to help you out :)
lovelyGrace43
No. You shouldn't. Unless bad things happen at home. But if that happens you should call the police. But you shouldn't run away from home if you have good people that loves and cares for you
Anonymous
Running away from home is never a good idea because it is not easy on your own especially if you have no money or support it may not seem it better you have it better at home then running away
Anonymous
Talk to your parents whenever they are free enough to spend sometime for you. But most importantly when you are willing to open up as they would have tons of questions to ask so you must be prepared to answer them peacefuly. If you don't like being interrogated, then tell them to just listen to you without being questioned before hand