I was diagnosed with severe depression and I want to get better, I know how to do it but I can’t. I’m not lazy, I just feel like the worlds pushing me down. Is this normal and what do I do?

Portugal

Jennifer Patterson, LMFT, ATR-BC

Art Therapist

Life can be messy. Sometimes you need a little support to make your way through it. I love to help guide people through their challenges & to find the beauty in our messes.

Alexa43
It is completely normal for you to feel that way... like no matter how hard you try, everything is just so exhausting. There is no immediate solution for it but certainly, tiny steps always help. You can maybe start with making a plan for yourself as to what you’ll do through the day and as you achieve each task, it does feel like an accomplishment and it really does help, even if it’s just getting out of bed to shower. Once you’re feeling slightly more energetic, you can try exercising. Mindfulness, yoga and a healthy diet always helps. Some days are just tougher than the others but hang in there, you will get through this.
RheanaHazel
It is completely normal to feel like that. Depression can be very damaging and will cause you to feel unmotivated. It is very good that you recognize that you want to get better. You can talk to your doctor or psychiatrist about emdication, therapy, and other ways to help improve.
Anonymous
Yes, that is totally normal. As someone who has previously battled depression, I can tell you that overcoming it is certainly not easy. It helps me when I picture depression as that little bug in your head that keeps you tied down to it and hopes you'll never remove it. That is why we have to be two times stronger and fight whatever depression placed that is holding us back before it consumes us entirely. Therefore, if you're privileged enough to get help, do it, immediately. You may feel like giving up at some point, just like I did, but let me tell you one thing, I'm glad I overcame it and I wish you would too.
SmolbeanBobbin
This a very normal response for depression. Your not motivated to do anyting which is very common for poeple with depression. We always hear 'push through' and 'keep going', but sometimes words aren't enough. Make goals. Not big ones, but small ones you know you can acomplish. Also ask someone you trust to remind you to complete or help you complete said goals. There is no shame in asking. I'm very proud of you for being so brave and seeking guidance. If you need more assistance there are plenty of people on this site ready to listen and communicate to help you.
snugglyHope754
Everyone experiences depression differently. It doesn’t make you normal or abnormal. We heal at our own pace. It doesn’t make you a lazy person. It’s a mental illness so think of it as your brain just needing time to heal. The important thing is to find ways to promote healing. Seek out help and try not to isolate too much. I’ve experienced true depression and I remember how irrationally alone I felt, when in reality, a lot of people have felt similarly. You’re going to feel like you’re drowning, but there are people like me who want to be the one to throw you the life raft to help you float.