If I can laugh does that mean I don't have depression?

Shawn Wilson, LCSW

I provide supportive counseling and psychotherapy. I utilize cognitive-behavioral and solution focused strategies to address client concerns. Personal coaching is available.

Anonymous
If you can laugh, it does not necessarily mean you don't have depression. Because people can smile on the outside, laugh to jokes and in certain cases, and still have depression looming over them. Sometimes, you may laugh on the outside, but feel the same; grey and void on the inside. Depression does not always show visibly on the faces of those who suffer from it.
letsbehopeful
Laughing has nothing to do with depression. I've been diagnosed with depression multiple times and laughing and smiling has always been my way to survive. One time my outpatient doctor also told the doctor at the inpatient unit that she should not trust my smiles and laughs too early. I bet that saved my life because I stayed at the hospital a couple of more days because I realized they were right. Before that, everyone around me also assumed that my depression could not be right because of my appearance. And now, my smiles and laughs are more real and truthful than ever.
Kaysha
No it does not, depression does take most joy out of your life, but even the severely depressed have those rare moments of joy and laughter.
gracejune
Laughing doesn't measure your mental health, it's merely a form of expression, or a release of emotion, which we all experience. You can still have the ability to laugh freely while being depressed.
SakuraSkye
Of course not! Depression does not mean you're completely taken over by sadness! You can still find things funny, but it can often be harder to do so.
ceruleancacti
Laughter does not negate a positive diagnosis for clinical depression. There will be ebbs and flows with mood and just because one can smile or laugh, does not mean they cannot be diagnosed with depression.
here2support
No not necessarily. you can still be positive at some times when you have depression. Laughing is a part of everyday life. You can still have depression
friendlyIcicle64
Not necessarily, anyone can laugh and say that they are fine and still have depression. If you can laugh or smile genuinely then you might have a lesser chance of having depression. Some people are just really good at hiding their depression behind a smile or laugh that. If you think that you have depression you should get help from someone you trust.
Bazin
No, absolutely not! I laugh regularly, but I still have depression. It's completely normal to wonder about that though.
resourcefulHeart96
You can still laugh and have depression. I remember purposefully trying to find things to make me laugh so that i would have a twinge of happiness.
Anonymous
No, you can laugh even when you have depression. You just need to find a thing to laugh about like your family and friends
Anonymous
You can laugh and still be depressed. Being depressed insn't just being sad at times, it's deeper than that. If you feel like you're depressed than you could be, smiling about things doesn't change it.
sillyseraph002
it does not. depression manifests in many different ways. talk to a licensed therapist to work through it. they can make proper recommendations that are appropriate for your type of depression and for your life.
KaptainKurt1
Not entirely, I know many depressed friends of mine who can laugh, smile, and be happy sometimes and still be depressed. Depression isn't the exact same thing as sadness, though it can definitely cause someone to fake being happy more times than not.