Is crying a good or bad way to cope with depression/depressed feelings?

Cynthia Stocker, LCSW

My approach is direct, kind, honest & collaborative. My clients appreciate that I help them in a way that cuts through the jargon and gives clear explanations.

Anonymous
Sometimes people like to cry as they consider it as cleaning their views of life and how things are. It is totally okay to cry and can help let out how you are feeling
caringWatermelon95
Crying is healthy. When you cry, you aren’t suppressing emotions that can later lead to unhealthy coping mechanisms.
Anonymous
Crying is a necessary factor, really. It is a natural, healthy way that the body releases negative feelings (and hormones, too). There are many stress-related disorders out there, and crying reduces emotional stress that may cause any of those disorders. I believe it is a totally okay coping mechanism, as long as you don't suffer any other problematic symptoms resulting from crying your feelings out (ex: paralysis, panic attacks, seizures, etc.). You'll be okay, I promise! I'm always here to talk if you'd like. Much love, Crow
Anonymous
Crying, the way I see it is more beneficial than not. It's not a weakness, it's more so growing stronger each time and dealing with your emotions, knowing that you are sad and you will get better right after these few tears or so.
ScholarSimon
It definitely is not a bad way to cope with depression or depressed feelings. Crying is a natural human behavior and should not be discriminated against!
Sylviamarie13
Crying can be seen from both a negative and positive point of view, On one hand it lets out built up emotions that could otherwise be harmful to you in the future. However all the time can exhaust you both physically and mentally. It's okay to have a cry every now and then, to heal and grow, but if yu find yourself constantly tearful then that is when you need to find other ways to cope, Such as doing something you enjoy as a distractions Eg: Writing, Drawing, Playing with a pet and so one
sunnyOcean31
Its a good way as it let out the negative feelings inside of you but you wil need to be strong for yourself and get professional help
Anonymous
Crying is a great way to let out the emotions. It helps you accept what ever it is causing those feelings.
Anonymous
It is completely okay. It's not necessarily good or bad, but anything that helps you express how you feel at the moment is better than keeping it bottled up inside.
Anonymous
April 2nd, 2018 2:24am
I would say good. It's not good to hold back from crying. Sometimes you just need to let it out.
Anonymous
It varies from person to person. Some times a breakdown and letting everything out may work in a good way for some people, while for some it may make their mind more chaotic. To cope with depression crying may help, it may not. BUt to cope with depression the first thing you need to know is it the cause and what it has made your life into. Then you should take the next step which is to look at things more positively, notice small changes. try to accept life in a more positive outlook. If it just keeps worsening a specialist is a must.