Is depression genetic, environmental, and/or behavioral?

Jui Shankar, Ph.D

My worldview offers a systems perspective that values diverse clients and their struggles. I believe supportive and nonjudgmental therapeutic relationships empower clients.

Anonymous
I think depression is generally either genetic or environmental. It is something that can be caused by genetics, but it can also be brought on by environmental triggers. Regardless the reason, if you're feeling a little blue, it's always worth a chat.
Anonymous
Studies have shown that depression can be genetic although it's a complex trait. Studies have also shown that people tend to feel more depressed during seasons with less sunlight. Depression is also a symptom of various other diseases like pcos. I don't think we can say that people with definite kind of behavior have depression. There is no pattern in the behavior of people suffering from depression. A person may seem happy and fun-loving but can suffer from depression.
Anonymous
I think it could possibly be all three. Your environment can definitely affect you in a bad way. Genetic depression is also common.
Anonymous
Depression is a combination of all of the above, in which environmental factors intermix with genetic predispositions.
Maddypunk
Depression can be genetic, environmental and behavioral. Many things affect depression and or trigger it. It can be things around you, things that once happened to you, or it can just run in the family.
halcyonSea12
Genetic and environmental. There are genetic influences that can increase the chances of developing depression (we can thank identical twins for proving that) and sometimes these genetic factors are triggered by environmental ones. Of course, it's entirely possible to get depression without any external triggers, but it is less likely.
friendlyIcicle64
November 2nd, 2015 6:21am
Majority of the time depression is behavioral. It's mostly behavioral because it revolves around peoples thoughts, feelings, and emotions
DipityEnigma
Depression is none of the above. It's caused by a hormonal imbalance which is affected through most commonly, stress. Depression can also be caused by things such as trauma, loss of a loved one and things such as night terrors. There's lots of factors that could cause depression though. It's all to do with your life events.
xMeowsAndHugs
Depression is something that can be inherited by behavioral elements within an environment. Some family members may have depression leading to the conclusion that you may inherit it, but in actuality it is just a phase of human nature that ever person can have. Things in life are the things that effect your mood and over all wellness, depression is part of that. It is charged due to the behaviors that one does and the environment one is in.
Anonymous
February 22nd, 2016 5:37am
I think it's a little bit of all three. If you have a family history of depression, you can be more likely to have it, but you an also have depression with no family history of it. Some places, especially if a really bad thing happened, can trigger people and bring on depressive episodes. And other times depression just sneaks up on people, sometimes without a reason. It really just depends on the person.
Luckyhottubsandwhiches
Yes, it can be and can come from many things that have happened to a person. Depression can affect anyone regardless of their life. It's silent.
Anonymous
There are many different kids of depression. Some is seasonal/environmental. Some people get really depressed in the winter and fall because of the lack of Vitamin D etc. Some is genetic as it can run in families genes. Behavioral is also a kind of depression, this is caused by your own behavior and you often put yourself in positions that you don't see the issues of. This causes you to be depressed.
Ashiya
Depression can be environmental but it's mostly mental or behavioral due to the weight it has on people. Having depression can cause a person to feel heavy in the chest or back, or make their days a lot grayer than usual. This may also prevent someone from leaving home or to feel horrible throughout the day. I guess it's not really behavioral as a whole but more environmental or just how it is.
Anonymous
I my own experience I would it is a little bit of all 3. Of course it differes from one individual to another. In my case, the genetic aspect was proven when mental illness can be traced back to my grandparents. The environment I grew up in was not optimum for a child's mental health. I was kinda a rebel in school as well.
Anonymous
Yes, you can be genetically susceptible to depression, it can also be caused due to a harsh or stressful environment. And depending on ones actions and the actions of others, depression can occur.
Anonymous
In my opinion, it seems to be a behavioral issue, but in some circumstances itay be genetic. Sometimes it's an imbalance of things in the brain or possibly an endocrine problem.