Is depression hereditary?

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

Anonymous
It certainly can be, but there are so many other causes of depression - some of which we cannot fully understand. Let me tell you though, no matter the cause of your depression - it is not your fault. No one asks to become depressed, and it is a really painful and isolating experience. Whether it’s a chemical imbalance, a result of a traumatic event, something you’ve had since birth or a condition that has developed over-time... we are here to support you with your struggles. You’re more than welcome to reach out to a volunteer on here 24/7, and we will be there to listen to you.
Anonymous
Yes, from what I have read, as well as my own personal experience, there is a strong genetic component to depression. This does not mean that you will get depression for sure, but instead it means that you are more likely to have depression at some time in your life. For example, I have clinical depression, my father has depression, and my grandmother (his mother) does too. My depression started when I was a teenager. With medication, counseling, and lifestyle changes (getting enough sleep and exercise), I manage my depression very well. Sometimes it gets worse when I am in stressful situations.