Is depression linked to anxiety in any way?

Tara Davis, Doctorate in Counselling Psychology

I have worked successfully with a wide range of difficulties. Nothing is more important than developing a warm, compassionate relationship with someone you can trust

SamWise70
Yes. They are two sides of the same coin. Depression is worry about the past and anxiety is worry about the future/present.
Rachel1984
Yes. For me, any kind of boost in anxiety feeds my social anxiety. I don't get out, and that feeds my depression.
Anonymous
It can be linked to anxiety. Having anxiety can make you depressed by what you are having to go through. You might feel that people are judging you for the way you are feeling and that can make us depressed, so they could be linked.
Pieta
Yes, there is a correlation between these two. People who are feeling depressed have a higher risk to also suffer from anxiety and vice versa. For example not leaving the apartment continually could lead to feeling anxious about getting up at all, not knowing what has changed (maybe at school, university, work) and therefore being too frightened to try. Same with the other way around, if maybe you are suffering from social anxiety and you don't dare to talk to others or even strangers, it might leave you feeling depressed for being lonely... That sounds much worse than it actually should, so let's just leave it with: Yes, there's a correlation between depression and anxiety :)
Anonymous
I personally think that you don't have to have depression to have anxiety and vice versa, however, I do think that they could be linked as to be constantly sad and have low self esteem would bring on anxieties and that anxiety can bring on feelings of depression.
Anonymous
Yes, those two very often go hand in hand, and sometimes anxiety can be an introduction to depression
Mischa
It certainly can be. You can be depressed because you're sick of being so anxious and the stress is making you feel exhausted. You can be anxious because you worry you'll never stop being depressed, or because your depression keeps you from getting necessary things done and gives you more reasons to be anxious. I've definitely experienced all of these things.
DanielFab
Yes, I think that depression is linked to anxiety, because people thoughts about the future are normally based on past experiences and usually depression is based on that past experiences and when a person suffers from anxiety, may remember the negative experiences instead of the positive experiences and it increases the levels of anxiety and may increase the depressive thoughts.
Madi
I'm pretty sure that anxiety causes depression most of the times. When you feel like you can't go outside and enjoy others company or going places, I don't know, you begin to feel sad. There are times when people get paranoid because of anxiety, startind to believe that peiople avoid them, and that's a bigger issue that "helps" with depression.
Shez1703
Absolutely. Anxiety can be very stressful and make you feel very down and confused. This can definitely cause the sufferer to experience depression in some way.
Anonymous
I would say it does have a link. Often anxiety or depression will accompany one another. In my experience my anxiety came after I started to deal with my depression, for others it is the other way but the two do tend to go hand-in-hand.
CMThornRose
Yes it is, along with OCD, or even Bipolar. I started with anxiety then got depression as well. So yes there is actually a big link.
NataliaTheBrave
Depression can be linked to anxiety. as a personal past dealer with anxiety/depression, i can say that it has been that way for myself. i think some people are different though, it just depends on how YOU feel.
Zora17
Depression can be triggered from anxiety because anxiety can be very limiting and decrease quality of life, especially over a long period of time, leading to the deep sadness of depression. In this case, the person is both anxious and depressed, making them feel really stuck.
Anonymous
It can be, the more anxiety you feel could lead up to depression because it could get to the point to where it is to overwhelming.
Nervana1
I think excessive anxiety leads to depression ..the so many uncontrollable thoughts leads to depression ..as when someone is in a place where his inaccurate unrealistic thoughts tells that there is danger which is actually percepted
Anonymous
I personally believe so. I don't think you can feel one emotion solely. Now, I don't think it is a causation, but I believe there is a correlation between the two.
HelpfulCow
I think so, if you are for example anxious to meet new people, you can get lonely and sad. This can cause depression.
JulieAliH
Depression is definitely linked to anxiety. The two often go hand in hand, but not always. People struggling from depression can also be struggling from anxiety; it is not definitive whether or not one causes the other, but there is a definite correlation. Anxiety medicines are even used to treat depression sometimes and vice versa.
bigjamesycfb
Yes it can i started of with anxiety, it made me feel like my whole world was caving it around me that started having an effect on my mental state by making me feel down i didnt wankt to get out of bed in the morning
caitlinrose24
It can be common to have both depression and anxiety. However the two are not always linked. Personally, I think of my depression as a "depressant" and my anxiety as a "stimulant". When I'm depressed, I'm very lethargic and unmotivated. When I'm anxious, I feel shaky and all over the place. The common symptom seems to be physical pain and negative thinking.
Anonymous
I believe that depression and anxiety can be linked, although it is different for every individual. For me they were linked. I think having anxiety can cause you to be depressed. And they have some similar symptoms.
beautifulRecipe32
As with everything, problems with mental help are subjective. But there is a strong case to argue that those with depression may also experience symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks.
therapinto
April 22nd, 2015 9:03am
Depression can be linked to socio phobia, GAD, panic attacks and anxiety attacks. But these disorders are curable, fortunately. And people with these disorders can get medical help and live normal lives thereafter.
JFunny
Based on my personal experience and the cases I have seen. They can show up together, doesn't mean they always are, one can be anzious or depressed without the other, but it is very common to see them together yes.
PeterNWUK
Depression and anxiety are not necessarily linked, but they do often exist together. Talk with people on 7Cups to explore your thoughts and feelings a bit more, but always consult someone qualified like a doctor if you think you have depression or anxiety.
Anonymous
Absolutely. Anxiety is something that can lock you into a place you don't want to be. It can keep you from doing things that might be fun or healthy for you to do. And when you're separated from the world, it's easy to feel like you're incapable of things.
Anonymous
I believe it is, only sometime though. Being anxious may very well make you depressed. I found this with my anxiety.
IsisWondeerland
I believe it does. For me, anxiety comes even worst when I'm depressed and when I've stopped doing something I like or have to do because of anxiety I've ended up feeling bad because I let it win... My anxiety has grown with my depression.
Anonymous
When I personally have experienced depression it has always been tangentially linked to anxiety. I become hyper-aware of the ways that I am failing to achieve things due to a profound lack of energy. That awareness makes me anxious for the future (especially financially). However rather than have the energy to productively deal with it the depression keeps me from anything, fueling future anxiety.