Is depression linked to anxiety in any way?

Tara Davis, Doctorate in Counselling Psychology

I have worked successfully with a wide range of difficulties. Nothing is more important than developing a warm, compassionate relationship with someone you can trust

Anonymous
Depression and anxiety are oposites. Depression is like not worrying about things , and anxiety is caring too much about every single thing that happens to you. Having both mental disorders is like hell.
GentleMom
anxiety and depression can coexist and make it worse. some people take medication for both conditions.
Edward2015
Yes, they are related. Constant anxiety can lead to depression and the need for isolation. Whereas being depressed can lead to being over anxious. The goal is to find the link that is causing both the depression and anxiety and then finding ways to cope.
gentleKitty30
Yes. Often times they go hand-in-hand. Many people who struggle with depression also experience anxiety - sometimes they can feed in to or cause each other as well. For example, if your depression makes it hard for you to function or go out or causes you to isolate- eventually sometimes anxiety can build around going out or talking to friends. Another example is if anxiety is something you struggle with or limiting a lot of opportunities in your life or preventing you from functioning, that in turn can cause depression. Depression and anxiety are also often caused by similar chemical imbalances in the brain.
Heavenlyhorizons
Yes, It has been tested and there are many studies that say depression is linked to anxiety especially social anxiety. This also has been true in my personal experience when I had anxiety I developed depression. If you feel like you have both I recommend you to see a doctor but if you're uncomfortable seeing a doctor make sure you are comfortable with at least one person you know. Times may get tough and it's better when you have someone there to support you. If you feel like you don't have a person in mind. I could be that person. I care about you all so much.
charmingPumpkin74
I have no idea about it..... But in my eyes these are two different things...........................
ashmiblue
Depression is like sitting in a dark room and there's not even a single ray of light. Anxiety is sitting in a bright room and with closed eyes. Very much the same, is it?
Ubby
Yes definitely, for me they go hand in hand. Anxiety about depression, and getting depressed over anxiety. It's a vicious cycle, and you have to learn to cope with both of them a lot of times. It's not uncommon for people to have both and not just one or the other.
Anonymous
Some people, like myself, experience depression as a result of general anxiety. One will be stressed and worried so often that it emotionally and physically exhausts them. It is during that time that I feel depressed and sometimes I can prevent it by taking care of myself and managing my responsibilities better.
carefreeDreamer01
May 23rd, 2016 3:16am
Sometimes it can be, it can be scary to have both, but I'm almost sure that you will find a way to manage it.
softSun20
Like any other disease or problem, there is always a root issue that serves as a cause for it. Similarly in my thoughts, anxiety is the first step leading towards depression if it is not paid head or attention to.
gentleLove21
Yeah, sure Not making lots of true friends and feel happy whenever they are around you makes you feel depressed and with anxiety it is hard to make successful friendships :)
Anonymous
Depression and anxiety could be linked together as in if you don't want to be around people and secluded yourself for a extended period of time you may gain another symptom possible "social anxiety"
moitrois713
Depression and anxiety are a common nightmare marriage. Yes, they often come together as depression can cause you to over think, which means you're more nervous or worried about little things. Depression intensifies everything you feel and that can be a little scary at times. At the same time, having anxiety can lead to depression because of the amount of worry you put yourself through.
BelievingInYou
I believe that depression can be linked to anxiety as when an individual is dealing with depression it presents itself in such a way that one can become anxious about how they appear, how they act or even words they say. They could be constantly working towards not "looking" depressed and cause anxious thoughts in the process.
boreddanman
Absolutely. Multiple studies suggest the two conditions are often comorbid (occurring at the same time). While the science isn't 100% clear, there is some evidence that these disorders may both have to do with low levels of neurotransmitter "serotonin". Of course this is a oversimplification of a much more complex disease.
positiveWhisper24
Depression and Anxiety are BFFs. The come together, go together, make each other worse. Yes, they are linked, although different. Both stem from some kind of deficiency of neurotransmitters in your brain (thingys that carry messages). You can become depressed because of your anxiety, and you can become anxious about your depression. But once one is treated, it makes the other easier to treat. So whether you have depression, anxiety, or both, you should get help - you don't have to suffer.