Is depression the same for everyone, or can it be different?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

AFriendInNeed
Depression is different for everyone. It is largely related to the way that we view the world and our experiences with it. So, the experience of depression is as unique and individual as the person experiencing it.
Arwa
It's definitely different for everyone. Yes, sometimes we could share feelings and thoughts, but we never experience depression the same way. Depression has a very wide of range of severity. Not all symptoms of clinical depression has to be in the person to be considered depressed. And how we deal with depression also differ so in the end our whole experience of being depressed is totally different.
MirandaD
It can definitely be different for everyone. Some people that have depression find it crippling and unbearable, while others find it a nuisance at worst. Everyone has a different cause of their depression, and therefore treatment is different for everyone. Some find therapy helps, while others benefit from medications. Most people find an effective balance between therapy and medications can lift their depressive symptoms enough to live normal happy lives!
calmsteve
Saying depression is the same for everyone is like saying everyone's finger print is identical. Depression metabolizes differently in everyone. It could be due to work, Family, money or even your looks. There is no simple cure all or fix to depression because no two cases are the same.
Nexilva
Depression can manifest in a multitude of ways, and there is no right or wrong way to ''be'' depressed.
Saraahh
November 1st, 2014 8:12am
Depression varies from person to person. Some people may have very severe depression while others may have mild depression. Some people may feel empty while others may feel overwhelmed with emotions. Really varies from person to person.
guyinasuit
For every individual depression will be totally different. Apart from the obvious few bits which most people will suffer, you may have different triggers, different severity of it, different ways of coping. When you have depression, it's all about YOU. And you shouldn't focus on anyone else if you are trying to get better - do what works for you.
kazia202
Depression can be different for every person based on your own personal situation and feelings. However, some people may have similar symptoms and side-effects of depression as you. It is uncommon for two people to handle depression the exact same way.
FrenchMarbles
Depression is different for everyone, because if you think about it, everyone has different backgrounds, some may have experienced loss, others might just feel a bit sad.
NikiTaylor
Depression is different for everyone. Sure, there are certain criteria to diagnose someone with depression in the DSM-5, but even if people suffer similar symptoms, they suffer them in different ways. Every person is unique and so how they perceive their depression is unique. No one goes through exactly the same thing.
Anonymous
I believe it is different for everyone! No person on earth can possibly have the exact same feelings.
Anonymous
It can be different for other people. Depression is never same for everyone, for some people it can be very strong but for others it won't.
HerforU2580
November 1st, 2014 5:02pm
Depression has many different sytoms and many people suffer from depression so yes it is not the same for every one
Alaa
November 2nd, 2014 1:32am
Depression is a feeling, but it can be different depending on the cause - it depends on your experience that caused it!
Luceee
Depression can be different for everyone. Medication works for some, and not for others. Meditation works for some, and not for others. Exercise seems to be a pretty safe bet for everyone. Everyone has different symptoms and different triggers, which is why if one thing doesn't work for you..Don't give up.
Anonymous
Depression is different for everyone! We all have our own unique chemistry and life experiences. If you're feeling depressed, talk to someone you trust or seek a professional-- they can help you better understand what time of depression you have and how to address it.
Fallgum
it is just the opposite, it is different for everyone, because i can feel sad about my granddad that died, but you can feel sad about how you do at school, still we are both sad but will expirience it different. a car is a car, but a mercedes drives different as an ford
FlickeringCandle
It can be very different, depending on your circumstances. There are multiple types: bipolar, seasonal, etc.
enchantingWind58
Depression varies a lot. It's different for everyone. That's why there are so many methods to help people with depression. To me, depression was like a wall of fog and I could not see behind it.
Anonymous
There is no set definition for depression, everyone can experience different variations. There are common symptoms, but overall, it's rarely the same for anyone.
CupOfMint
Depression has some basic symptoms but as any other situation and feeling, people live it differently.
Sputnik
The degrees and the reason for depression may vary from person to person. But the end result is the same of disliking them.
Anonymous
It can be different for everyone. One big example of a difference that could happen is there are some who sleep more than normal and then there are those who have trouble sleeping at all. Both, however, can be diagnosed with depression.
Anonymous
There are some things about depression that are the same, but other things that are different. For example, most people who suffer from depression have a negative outlook about their life and the world in general. However, the way they think about it can be different. Some people exaggerate things while others immediately jump to conclusions.
Anonymous
I think depression is the same for everyone. You know, we all, at one point in time, experience depression for some reason. What makes a difference is how a person handles the depression, how the person would take it, and what the person will have to do to help him/herself.
Anonymous
Depression can be different for everyone. The experience and range of it is different for all people. Everyone has their own unique cognitive process, and the way they interpret information. So depression can definitely be experience differently for everyone, however the symptoms, and the emotions that are felt in depression can be similar between individuals. Depression is not uncommon, but the extent and degree of them are different between individuals.
neverletlifetakeyourspark
People are not exactly the same, so even if something exactly the same happens to two different people, they might not react the same way. So, yes. Not everyone will experience depression in the same way.
PriscilaOrellana
It's different in each person, everybody has different pains, everybody suffers in different ways and everybody can overtake it too.
Erynn
Depression is different for different people. For example: my girlfriend gets depressed in a way that makes her sleep a lot and not feel hungry and feel empty inside. I get depressed in a way that makes me feel foggy and pointless but I am still able to get out of bed, but my concentration gets really bad. I also tend to eat more when I am depressed. My mom gets irritable (as do I) when she is depressed and gets bad migraines. She naps a lot and her sleep schedule gets wonky so she sleeps from around 4pm to 11pm and is awake through the early morning and day. My grandpa gets depressed in a way that makes him withdrawn and quiet, but he stays active and doesn't talk about it. My sister gets suicidal and engages in risky behaviors. My friend's brother yells and gets very angry and skips school to avoid social situations. A diagnosis of depression is really just saying that you fix a certain minimum number of a list of symptoms. So what depression is like has certain limits - like a super energetic, rapid-thoughts, and psychosis will never be depression - but within the definition of Depression are many variations. You can have different combinations of those symptoms, and you can experience those symptoms in different ways than other people. If you are not sure if you have depression or not (because sometimes people ask when they are trying to understand what they are experiencing) it can help to talk to a doctor, counselor, or psychiatrist about what you're experiencing.
TheresAPlaceForUs
I feel like depression is individualized and unique for everyone, but symptoms and feelings that result from depression are universal.