Is depression the same for everyone, or can it be different?

Melissa Hudson, MS Ed, PhD(c), LMFT

I work with clients of diverse backgrounds on a multitude of concerns. My approach is, at times, directive, yet always curious, nonjudgmental, collaborative, and validating.

Anonymous
Depression is not at all same for everyone. It has different forms, it affects in different ways. However, its not been able to completely study depression till now. Some may feel hopeless, others may feel not interested in life. For some it affects sleep, while for others it does not. We have a set of symptoms whose presence partially confirms the presence of depression. Further diagnosis is based on proffesional screening.
HakunaMatataSmile
Of course it can be different! Symptoms might be similar and overlap with other illnesses, but everyone is individual.
SnailBubbles
Depression is never the same for everyone because we are all different. We may have similar symptoms, but no two people will ever go through a scenario the same way. That is what makes life unique and interesting.
Philiptowsey1976
Depression can be different for many people varying in mild to severe disorders . Some can cope better then others and some need special attention
DeterminedlyAsh
Oh it is definitely different for everyone! Everyone is an individual so it effects them differently. It also depends on the type. I have dysythmia and one of my friends has MDD. We're both depressed but effected very differently.
JJill1
Mental illness can have such a broad spectrum of problems and symptoms, it can be completley different for some people. I know personally in my life my friend is similar in some ways with her depression, but we differ GREATLY in a lot of other areas (Like I love to go out it helps me clear my mind, but she likes to stay in and relax.) :) Everyones unique and alike at the same time! :P
peacefulHug92
100% different. For some people, feeling tearful is a main symptom. For others, they feel like they can't cry. Some have no motivation, others have some motivation but dont get any enjoyment from what they do. Therfore, depression is different for everyone - nobody experiences it the same way someone else does. Hope this helps ❤
RealisticConvosation
Depression is different for everyone, there’s always help for everyone though, just becuas ehat your feeling may be different to others, it does not mean you are alone, there is help for everyone out there. :)
BlondeListener1
It can be different, there are different types of depressions for different things like, family, heartbreak, losing someone close and everyone can all take it differently. Some people use food to make them feel better, or isolation, not leaving the house, not eating etc..
Lyssi
No, depression is different in at least a slight way for everyone. Although some people may have similar symptoms there are always at least one difference from being a textbook case.
boldquiet
People could have the same depression symptoms but each person who suffers from depression views life differently.
ValuCat
I believe there are different reasons that make a person feel depressed, but the symptoms are usually very similar. There are also different leves of depression in which a person can be at, it depends a lot on the situation and the way the person lives the problem.
KeeKee
Depression is never the same for everyone. Being as I experienced it before, it wasn't too severe. It was very minimal actually. People handle it differently, and some don't handle it at all. It depends on the person, and their will strength.
MissKaay
October 2nd, 2014 11:54am
Depression is different for everyone - we all go through different things that make us how we are!
agraarti
Depression can have different meanings to different people. For children depression revolves around their homework and games. For teens it is regarding friend issues or misunderstanding with parents can cause them depression..and for adults there are many other reasons leading to depression..career pressure..finding a job..and after that the pressure to get married and settled..so according to the different phases of life depression may also vary from people to people and accordingly their ability to cope with it also varies!
Lala18
I think depression is different for everyone, because every creature and also their mind, life, family is unique.
Dannybear
Depression is different for every person. It has different effects and impacts people differently all the time.
Starglass
Depression is different for everyone. Everyone feels things based on their own emotions and experiences.
gigily98
Depression for everyone can be different. It depends oh who you are and what's going on in your life.
EmileeViolet
Depression can be different depending on the person. Not everyone takes it the same way, some people get influenced differently, or get hurt more easily. So yes, it can be different depending on the person.
AskAmy
I believe that depression is different for every single person who suffers from it, just the same as we are all individual and different from one another. It's our fundamental differences that make the way we react to things and deal with things so dissimilar. How can we be expected to feel the same way as someone else when we're depressed when we don't feel exactly the same as them when we're not?
Nonique
It is different, some people are just : 'I feel depress today' and other have real depressions, they don't think about anything, just about them selves. and its special the way the people are.
Anonymous
It can be very different, different kinds of depression, grief, guilt, sadness...pain...hurt...all kinds
ImJo
It is different for everyone! Depression is a mental illness and therefore it's not always the same.
Dhar
Many symptoms and themes might be common, but depression is different for each person because it is experienced differently by each individual.
Anonymous
It can be different in many ways. It make affect some more powerfully than others, and vise versa. Some people turn to self harm or suicide, or some can manage it from day to day, like myself.
ChaiChelsea
Although many of the feelings and symptoms of depression may be very similar for everyone, going through depression is also very much an individual experience. No one else is in your exact personal circumstances. When you combine that with many factors like genes, personal history and treatments, depression is definitely a slightly different experience for everyone.
Coleen
It's different for everyone, I think there are levels if depression, some are just sad or upset then there are those who are suicidal, I know, I was one. But just because on'e just sad that doesn't mean he doesn't need a hug.
ItsCloe
I believe, each person can be depressed to a certain extent, but it cannot be the same for everyone, even each person could be depressed in different levels, it depends on why he or she is depressed.
turkoizdog
Depression can manifest differently for different people, and this especially depends on how people choose to face or ignore it. Some wallow in it, some suck it up, some pretend to be cheerful, and some partake in self-destructive behaviors. Because of this, it can be really hard to tell based on a person's demeanor if they are depressed or not, because they may experience depression differently from how you do.