Is it normal to feel guilty about being depressed?

Lindsay Scheinerman, MA, LPC

My work with clients is to help them recognize and build on their strengths to find solutions for the conflicts presented in their lives.

Lexiluh
Quite frequently people struggling with depression feel guilty for it, but it's important to know that it is NOT your fault! You cannot blame yourself, it is not something that you should feel ashamed or guilty for. Please do talk to me, or any other listener about how you're feeling! You are not to blame, many people feel this way but it is not right to feel guilty because you are the single most important person in this situation and getting you better, on the right track and in a more positive mental state is more important than anything else! :)
Zenforever2
No, never! Being depressed is not of your control. Please, don't ever feel quilty, because it's not your fault. You are not trying to hurt anybody! Hope this helped
Oreo
Once the sufferer sees the impact of their behavior on their loved ones, yes it can happen. It doesn't help that a lot of people who don't understand depression see it as a means of getting attention, even though depression is just as real as a broken arm, just not as visible. It will help to assure yourself that depression is not your fault nor is it your choice, and you are not alone in feeling depression.
NoImaginationY
It's normal, as in many people tend to feel this way. One gets trapped into the idea of being at fault, which also happens to work pretty well for those who tend to "feed" their negativity. However, being depressed is out of your control, it's not something you do on purpose and you shouldn't be held accountable for actions that stem from it (whether it's by others or yourself). In a nutshell, it's not your fault.
helpfuldot
I think it's completely normal to feel guilty about being depressed. Many people who haven't been through depression may think you are lazy or too difficult to be around and that can easily make those with depression feel guilty.
Cornucopia
I would say it is. I felt guilty because I felt that people around me could feel my sadness, and I felt that I would affect them as well. I hated seeing them sad because I was sad, so I naturally drifted away.
ColdWinterLove
March 3rd, 2015 2:02pm
Its totally normal to feel that way, we all fell guilty because we cannot fight our demons off and the war keeps affecting our loved ones.
AlexG6
Yes, it is normal as you may feel that your feelings will effect others in a negative way. Also, you may feel that you are bringing others down and causing them hassle by being depressed.
ZoeAlwaysSmile
Yes, it's normal. But what is normal as well is to feel guilty about everything. That's one of the things depression make us feel. But we don't have to feel guilty about being or feeling depressed. It's not our fault, so we shouldn't feel guilty nor anything. If we have depression, it's not our fault
IntuitiveDrops
It is normal, but that doesn´t mean you should. We are often shamed for not being "positive" or "productive". That´s how most cultures are, especially the Western one. In order to heal and accept yourself, you have to learn how to listen to yourself. Most often "shoulds/musts" cause us to feel guilty. Feeling guilty is a common symptom of depressions. So relax, it´s probably a part of your mental illness.
Eloquentgraffiti10
It is completely normal. Part of depression is feeling guilty. when you're depressed you feel like a burden. Feeling like a burden can make you feel guilty. but remember how important you are.
Maddiejb202
It is normal. Going trough depression before, you realize you feel guilty that everyone around you feels bad for you and you think it is your own fault. So i would say, yes, that is normal. But you shouldn't feel guilty about something you can't control.
JayGrayson101
Yes, but that doesn't mean it's okay.. being depressed isn't something that you should feel guilty about. If you are depressed you should get help and talk to someone like a professional therapist or something, or just talk to a close friend that you can actually trust. the important thing is that YOU MATTER
Anonymous
It is normal in a way that many people experience this guilt when they are depressed but do you deserve it? nope. because when you are depressed the brain chemicals change, actually it is what causes depression most of the time. It is not that you are simply upset and making a big deal of it. That is a serious matter, in this sense, feeling guilty is irrelevant.
Anonymous
Yes, I think it is perfectly normal to feel guilty. I think a lot of people feel guilty about it. But I don't think you should feel guilty because it is mostly not your fault you are feeling depressed. I think even though it sometimes seems like the fact you are feeling down is your fault, you wouldn't be depressed if you had a choice i assume. So why would it be your fault?
Anonymous
Definitely! This is especially if you often express these feelings to people you care about. You might be afraid you're hurting them too, but trust me, they care and are there to help you.
Anonymous
Everyone is different, but it's not uncommon. Try to remember that your depression is not your fault. If you wouldn't feel guilty for having diabetes, you shouldn't feel guilty for having depression. It's an illness that you didn't ask for and that's not your fault at all.
Comfortingbubbles
I used to suffer from depression and self harm a lot as a teenager. I felt guilty of all I had done wrong and everyone I had hurt emotionally. I think it is normal because a lot of the patients I have talked to had felt guilt inside as well. The way I shook it around when I was suicidal is to think of all of the things that life means, and know that depression isn't your fault.
WarmComfort
Yes it is a natural reaction to have the feeling of guilt and responsibility for being depressed. However this is a reaction that should not undermine the patient's everyday characteristics and it is important to ensure highlight that depression is a disorder, and can be resolved.
Yes, most people do feel guilty when they know that they are depressed and not know what to do about it. Try talking to someone you trust that is close to you or a therapist to help you get over the depression or at least give you ways or ideas to deal with it.
blissfulCupcake
yes it is sometimes you'll feel like you're the only one or you might question why me? But this is common as it happens to a lot of people
yourebeautifultome
No, you can't help bring depressed.
Herequeerandcheering
I've been there. I've felt guilty also for being depressed. But it's not your fault. Try not to feel guilty about it.
Anonymous
Yes, but don't worry because it's normal cause I have that feeling before and then I recovered and became happy.
mightywindbag
Yes, in my opinion it can be. It might be because you see your loved ones going to work or school and also caring for you at the same time which can make you feel guilty.
BeInJoy
I think the first part of this that needs to be addressed is the word "normal" ... What is normal? Who defines that word? Give yourself permission to feel the way you feel, regardless of what the status quo views as normal or abnormal. Being guilty, I think, is actually a part of being depressed. Take a person that utilizes food to feel better. The usual cycle goes like this: I'm upset, so I eat. Once I eat, I feel a bit better. As soon as I feel better, that goes away and is replaced with the guilt of eating what was eaten. Feeling guilty about depression makes sense. We don't want to feel as if we are a burden on others by spreading our gloom, do we? However, if you have someone in your life that genuinely cares and asks you to open up, there's no need to feel guilty about sharing your hardships.
Christopherus
Yes. You don't want to hurt or disturb others with you thoughts, so you start to feel guilty about it. But even though it is normal, you have no reason to feel this way!
Anonymous
Yes it is you feel like it is your fault and the pressure of others expecting things done from you and not understanding that you have a mental illness
AlwaysUpFromHere
Very normal. Depression is overwhelming and can make you feel like you're out of control. Because of this you may feel guilty about how you feel and how you act because of it. It's normal, but keep in mind that it's not your fault
Anonymous
Yeah it's really normal and healthy of course! That shows u can't stand being depressed for too long and you really try to fix this issue.