Is it normal to think about suicide everyday?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
Definitely not, you should talk to somebody, that's the best place to start. It might seem hard but you will be glad you did it in the long run. Just find what makes you happy and keep searching. And there is a loving community here that is always willing to listen.
Anonymous
It can be normal for some people. Not everyone does, but don't be ashamed if you do. It's different to think about it then to act on it. Don't give up no matter what
Aidedplacebo
I feel most people wouldn't deem it "normal", but if you have depression it often becomes normal to have such thoughts on a daily basis. It's a constant struggle of banishing these dark thoughts and overcoming them. Personally I battled them daily for years, but by surrounding myself with positive people, and making an effort to change my own thoughts, I was able to push the darkness back. I no longer have them on a daily basis, and I must say, it's a great comfort to think positively. #positivefocus #selfcare #movingon
Drusilla451
I would say no. Thinking about self harm regularly is an indication something is wrong and you should talk to someone and get some kind of help or support
AndyDufresne1994
In all honesty I think the question is easy to misunderstand. In that "normal" should ONLY mean one thing. NORMAL FOR YOU. Now some people are often dealing with these questions. It happens to me and I have learned good ways to manage them and make sure no thought jumps to action. Now if you are someone who has never had these issues and all of a sudden you are.... that is a good time to ask for some help. You can start with a good friend. Someone who will agree to let you look for help but be there in case you need protection. So I would say make sure you know how to define "normal".
Hope
It is not normal. It also depends upon whether these are just thoughts or considerations. This sounds like a sign of moderate to severe Depression. I suggest reaching out to a professional (e.g, therapist) to discuss this. Yourself is a priority.
Anonymous
No, that level of suicidal ideation sounds like a symptom of depression to me. I would recommend seeing a therapist about it, even if you don't feel like you're at risk of actually acting on your thoughts.
Islah
Normal is, of course, a state of mind... I would say that a lot of people think of suicide everyday. I know that I did, once. Every single day, for months... I can tell you that I know how it feels and it's a very large burden to carry, and very lonely, too. If you are thinking of suicide, please get help. I know you've heard that before. I know it can be scary, but as someone who has been there, I can say that it's worth it. I wish you the very best of luck. You are so very strong!
Anonymous
Of course not. Suicide is connected to emotional unwellness. Suicide is not part of normal life. Feeling happy and well should be our normal state and goal.
IrenePeace
No, it's not. The truth is that suicidal thoughts, even the fleeting ones, are a very serious symptom of illness. They are highly correlated with worsening health, serious self-injury, and death.
imbrandybuck
This has no straight answer. One the one hand, we have suicidal thoughts which you may not have always have, but recently have them frequently. If you are going through severe depression and feel that suicide is the only way out, I would be happy to provide you with suicide helplines. On the other hand, if you generally think of suicide daily, without really having any desire to pursue your thoughts, this can be normal if you suffer with depression or a mental disorder such as Borderline Personality Disorder. Thinking of suicide daily in this instance is normal for those in these situations. Nonetheless, thinking of suicide is undoubtedly an effect of depression or another underlying issue, if you are unsure of having issues such as these, it may be a good idea to talk to your doctor or a therapist.
kaleidoscopic21
Personally, I think about suicide several times on a good day, but I don't think it's normal. I suppose normal people do occasionally have those thoughts, but I think if the thoughts are more about contemplating suicide or planning it, rather than just random intrusive thoughts if you're standing somewhere high, it's probably related to a mental illness.
Anonymous
It's not, I recommend you to talk with your doctor or someone near you. Suicide is not a good thing, and I hope you get help.
Anonymous
Thinking about suicide is not normal. It is important for you to seek professional help and manage these thoughts in a safe and manageable way.
optimisticTiger7369
No it is not normal it is a sign that something is very wrong. Let others know when you feel this way. You can think its okay to have these thoughts knowing deep inside that you would never do it. But all it would take is one tragedy to happen and someone might attempt suicide in the heat of the moment so to say. It is the worst feeling in the world to want to end your life. Let others know and help.
cherishedScenery91
No, it's not and if you are than it is a serious case. Your life is beautiful and you are worth everything to your loved ones. Please seek help from your family/friends or a professional therapist.
Anonymous
No, it is good sign at all. It is not normal to think about that. You need to get professional help if you are thinking that suicide is normal thing.
AiLaikHeda
Thinking about suicide is never normal. However, several people do think about it, and think about it everyday. There is an important factor in when thinking about it everyday and that is managing the thoughts. When you start to think of these things you need to change your thought process and i know it can be hard to do so but trying is the way to go. You can also reach out to the national suicide hotline to get help in changing your thought process or a listener here at 7 cups. There is even a great therapy center here that is willing to talk to you any time of the day. National suicide prevention hotline: 1-800-273-8255 Browse a listener here for self harm: https://www.7cups.com/BrowseListeners/?agegroup=&expertise=19&country=&language=&gender=&keyword=&sortby= 7 cups online therapy center: 7cups.com/online-therapy and my personal link if you ever need to talk: http://www.7cups.com/15450263
silentuponthehill
Of course not! Please seek professional help. Thinking about suicide from time to time isn't something "normal" and thinking about it on a day-to-day basis isn't either. But it's important to know that it's not abnormal and it doesn't make you "crazy." Lots of people suffer with this, so you are definitely not alone. You don't ever have to be.
Anonymous
No, it is not normal to think about suicide every day. Although if you do happen to find the idea of your own death drifting through your mind frequently, you're not weird or alone, you're simply sick. I encourage every single person who is contemplating suicide to reach out, even if it's the last thing you want to do, because your life is so precious! I don't think anyone truly wants to die, I think everyone simply wants life to get better, and sometimes death seems like the last option, but it's not!! Please reach out to anything and anyone you can (including but not limited to 7 cups listeners & therapists), because it's not normal to think about suicide every day, and you deserve help and happiness.
Heretohelp5454
I think depending on the person it can be normal. I personally have suicidal thoughts on a daily basis and it's normal for me but for others, it can be unbearable. It more depends on whether it's a passing thought that's just kind of "there" or if it's actively taking up your thoughts.
Lia11
It isn't normal yet it's also the 'norm' for many people. Most of these people keep quiet about it due to a fear of what other people would say, I was one of those people for a while. I was worried that I'd be told to 'just deal with it'. When I finally seeked help from my doctor I was taken seriously, and I got the help I needed. I know its difficult, but I urge you to do the same.
Herequeerandcheering
It depends on what you consider normal. My definition of normal is like routine. So I guess I forgot you were to think about suicide everyday it would appear normal to you. But normal isn't always good. Especially in this case. When something like this is thought about everyday it's important to reach out and ask for help if you're dealing with suicidal thoughts.
Anonymous
Its not "normal" per say to think about committing suicide but just thinking about it is ok. But if you are actually wanting to commit suicide everyday then talking yo therapist is recommened
Anonymous
I think it is not normal to think about suicide everyday. I believe that if you do think about it everyday, you should probably talk with someone that you're close with or someone anonymously.. We look for happiness and sometimes it's just too hard to do it alone. No one should ever feel alone, it's a terrible thing to feel.
enjoyyourself
I think about suicide nearly everyday. Sometimes, I think of it in a way in which I will actually do it. Other days, I think about it in passing. It is normal to think about the mundane things in life and the "Why am I even here? My life has no meaning." However, if you really, really believe suicide is your only option - getting help is the best first step.
karenw
no. if you feel in serious risk of harming yourself or ending your life you need to seek help from mental health services or your local accident and emergency department.
Anonymous
No not at all ...in such case immediate medical help is required.although nothing to panic all about it..its just like having fever ..u need medical help and you will be fine. Plus we are always in need to think about the people who love us
Anonymous
Although it is normal to think about suicide once in a while, the constant return to this topic may not be a good sign. It still could mean nothing but a common death or meaninglessness question, but, at the same time, it's a ring to check on the current bothering issues.
TeresaGreninja91
I think it’s normal to think about suicide everyday. It shows that person is struggling with great pain.