Is it okay to miss my biological Mom even though she abused me for the first 5 years of my life?

South Africa

Claudette Pretorius, MA Counselling Psychology

I know how overwhelming it can feel when you're having a tough time. I offer clients a space that is non-judgemental and empathetic whilst navigating these times together.

PureLionn
Yes, of course it is, your mother is always going to be your mother, regardless of if your brain tells you otherwise. If you understand that it's not healthy to be around her, or what she did was wrong, then missing her is just missing a mother. Your mother. It can be hard to get over, and is completely okay.
Anonymous
Despite the hurt she brought to your life in these five years, she is your Mom and not many others can fill that position. So yes, to answer your question, it is absolutely normal to miss her.
Anonymous
Yes, it is okay to miss your mom. Because your mom is still your mom, you miss having a mom but you don't miss the abuse, it's an all too confusing emotion.
Anonymous
I think you need to understand what about her do you miss. It's okay to miss other parts of her that were good to you, maybe even forgive her if you're capable of that. But don't allow her back in your life unless you're sure she's changed and wants to make amends.
MidnightRaven999
Of course it is! Your mom is your mom, you cared about her, and despite those bad memories you have, you also have good ones of her from that time, and you have good memories of her from past that time as well.