Is therapy as bad as it seems?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

romanticthi3f
Not always! You rarely hear about the good experiences! I've been to therapy for years and just started again with a brand new one. I find therapy incredibly helpful and lot a lot of others that do too. Try to keep in mind too that no two therapists are the same - everyone has different styles, different approaches and different techniques.
XEmeraX
No, it doesn’t have to be. Their are lots of people who find it useful. You just gotta remember to look into different therapist to find the best fit and don’t stay if they don’t work for you. Not every therapist will be able to be the right fit for you but you can definitely find one. They also can give really good tips and tricks to help.
Anonymous
No they actually talk to you and help you get through what your going through and have good advice.
BigEars57
Bad? Therapy is a wonderful gift to yourself. To have a partner in your quest to reduce your suffering and find joy in life is a wonderful thing. A good therapist helps give you the space to sort out the jumble of thoughts and feelings that have been disturbing you (sometimes for years). I'm not sure where the idea that therapy is bad comes from . . . but in my experience it has always been worth the time and money and energy required.
Anonymous
No, not at all! A lot of people make therapy out to be horrible, like therapists are there to make you unhappy. They aren't! They really want you to be happy, it just takes time. Some therapists aren't as accepting, so if you are talking about LGBT+ stuff with them, I suggest checking beforehand to make sure they aren't going to be hating. But most therapists are very beneficial, people just have some idea that you will "magically" be cured, which is not the case. You will feel better after a lot of work and having to talk a lot and a lot of opening up to people.
Inquisitorof1698
I understand the hesitation and stigma about going to therapy, but I highly recommend it for everyone. It may be mentally draining at first, but it is worth it. You'll learn more about yourself and may become inspired to better yourself as a human. From personal experience, therapy has allowed me to dive into my deeply repressed issues and face them, as much as I didn't want to. I love talking to people about how liberating and soul-searching therapy can be. It allows you to build on your mental health and reminds you that you're never alone in the battles that you face on a daily basis.
CrisSkgd
Not at all! It can be tough putting yourself out there - especially if you're like me and experience severe anxiety. But, once you build a rapport with someone and start to see that difference it is making, it is so worth it and you even start to look forward to it! Getting to work on yourself and make improvements in your life is absolutely excellent! Getting to discover new things about yourself, getting to improve relationships, and just getting to work toward being the best version of you makes therapy worth it. Therapy is definitely not as bad as it seems, and can make a huge difference in your life.
KatieTheBigRockOne
Therapy certainly isnt bad :) Though i understand your worries and you may have heard negative stories about therapy and how helpful it is. Just know a therapist is a professional purely there to listen and help you through problems. They should be understanding and compassionate first and foremost, caring your well being and what's in your best interest If they do not its a bad person not a bad career. Therapy itself can vary and some treatments work more than others as well as some working better for some people. It varies but it truly isnt as bad as it may seem, as worrying as it is therapies only goal is to help you :)