Is there a quick-fix for depression?

Alison Humphreys, LCPC

During the therapeutic process, individuals will learn to manage transitions, overcome obstacles and work towards their full potential .

JosefK
Exercise, eat well, meditate, recognise and stop negative thoughts, develop an I-won't-be-beaten attitude, laugh at the absurdity, hug your loved ones and don't hate yourself - you were only trying your best.
Anonymous
Depression is a serious illness that should be addressed by a medical professional. However, I have always found yoga to provide me a quick lift when I am feeling down. In fact, just about any exercise will release endorphins in your brain that will lift you up and make you feel good about your self. If I am not in the mood for strenuous exercise, I like to go for long walks, taking deep breaths and trying to just enjoy the beautiful things around me.
SunnySmilesListener
I'm sorry. There's not. It's a day at a time thing. If your depression is severe, it never goes away.
88FaZe88
Yesss. You stop! You stop thinking, you give your mind some rest. Because see, most of the time, when we're depressed, we are overthinking about stuff, one thing leads to another in our minds, and then its just ... a mess. You rest, you heal. You give yourself a break.
specialSunset18
I would say no. Like many people who have already answered there are ways of helping to reduce depression such as exercise and socialising etc. After suffering with depression for around 7 years I know that these do help but when you are depressed it is so hard to get out of bed and go for a run or go to the gym. Its also hard when you aren't feeling great to go and put on a brave face to meet friends or family. The trick i have found is to just do what you can, as others have suggested trying to be positive about yourself is important especially when you feel like everyone is judging you or that your life is terrible. If you can master being positive everything else should become easier and easier until you are able to go for that run or meet friends for lunch. That is when you know that you can beat it.
Anonymous
May 3rd, 2015 3:07am
Change your lifestyle. First, go to a place which relaxes you and think seriously about what are the things that make you feel depressed. After that, try to change them. Yes, it may seems hard, but you can do it. To get rid of depression, you should change things that make you feel that way, maybe even change your life environment. Also, tell yourself you are happy, strong, especially in the most difficult moments. I had severe depression, but I feel better now. You are the only one who can fix it.
LakesideGuy
Depression, by definition, tends to be an ongoing feeling that does not go away quickly. However, there are things that can help us feel better, at least temporarily (and some things, like exercise, can reduce overall symptoms over time). These temporary fixes are different for everyone, but some ideas include: listening to up-beat or relaxing music, meditation, playing with or petting an animal, spending time with a friend or family member, sitting outside in the sunlight for at least 10 minutes, and exercise.
Dailydaydreama
In my experience depression can come in many forms and none of them have had a quick fix ! Healing takes time :)
RebeccaH
I know we all really wish there were, but treating depression takes time and a lot of patience. There are things you can do in the moment that can help you feel a little better, like meditation, journaling, talking with a close friend or family member. Even just snuggling with a beloved pet can help
Anonymous
make life style changes eat healthy food, exercise, live in the present moment not in the future and nor in the past
Anonymous
No there is no quick fix for depression. It takes time to heal. And it depends on each person too so what works for one person might not work for another.
Gracia
No. Depression is like sinking and you sink slowly. And you are drowning. So it is a long period when you decide you want to recover and to actually recover!
Aerii
actually theres no quick-fix for depression. but there are some temporary reliefs. Make some changes in your lifestyle. Hangout more with friends, go for movies, shopping, meet new people. Travelling to a new place might help too :)
Anonymous
There isnt a quick fix to depression, but there is a chance to stand up, try to create new! Never to give up, spend time with those close to you, dont let that slip away, and they will always be there for you, if not family, friends, if not them, an aqcuaintence.. the list continues, the reason is for we wish you happiness, know at least someone cares, and not just us here, people want to help you, you just have to find them.
MonicaQu
Depression is a problem that affects many people no matter culture, age,gender or class. To understand Depression need to start by understanding its history. It has been around my a long time and many theories have been created to help and understand it. It is hard to help fix depression, by understanding and making guests feel unique and valued as an individual can help to fix depression. Also, when feeling depressed remember what you turn to when you feel at the bottom and this is what you need to strive to achieve or follow Also it is important to share your emotions and have someone to listen to you when you need it.
Anonymous
My first instinct is to say "no," but for me, the best way I've found to deal with feelings of sadness, emptiness or failure have been to fight against them a bit less, recognize how they are a part of all people's lives, and we're not exempt from that. Then I try to see some of the positive things about feeling this way: it gives me time to reflect, to consider my life and my choices, and to learn new things about myself. Usually when I'm in a dark mood, it's because I'm questioning something that I've relied on in the past. Although this is very painful, it can be a positive, maturing experience in the end, if you allow those realizations and new ways of thinking to come through, rather than only dwelling on what no longer works for you, or what no longer brings the joy it once did. I hope this is somewhat helpful, and of course, if it is severe, consultation with a good therapist is always recommended!
NancysAnchors
Unfortunately, there is no quick-fix for depression. Some people look for temporary solutions though, such as cutting, drinking, or doing drugs. But that is the worst way to go. Why? Because it doesn't do anything but harm you more than the depression was. Because you will find yourself with a new problem,addiction. and Even if you don't fall into that, you end up the same way you started. Possibly even worse. All these things may take your mind off of things for a while, but not forever.
Anonymous
December 22nd, 2017 3:31pm
Battling depression is not easy. You search online for hours looking for answers, for remedies. You have likely done it, or still doing it till now. I just want to share a blog post I came across with that says vitamin D3 does help alleviate depression. I have read that people who experiment with high-dose vitamin D3 (the sunshine hormone) cure their depression and they can quit taking Prozac after 18 years. They say D3 makes them feel great! While Prozac just makes them feel numb. It's worth a read guys. I hope this info can help you somehow. Let me know what you think. >>> https://jefftbowles.com/depression-the-simple-cure-vitamin-d3k2-magnesium/
SoulSurvivor
A person can try to divert his mind to run away from depression. Our mind is very power it can make imaginary things real if he wants to. So we can use this to cure the depression by imagining the beauty of nature, by imaging stars and galaxies, by thinking about something good. A thing of beauty is a joy forever - John Keates
AnnaT
While depression has no quick-fix, there are things that can be done to improve one's day. Exercise, sleep, or faking a smile are small things that can help on a daily basis. Find one friend that makes you laugh and ask them to hang out - that positivity can take you a long way in just 24 hours!
Todd1972
keep thinking positive thoughts, keep your mind active to take your mind off your depression and lastly the one no one wants. Medication.
Anonymous
For me there is not, it always finds a way to come back into my life. My mind will find a way to be negative again.
MinnieMouse
Yes! Just try and divert your mind towards other activities or go to a mall with friends or anywhere else! but preferably malls!
Rosylinda
yes, depression talks but it depends on how long you have been depressed for and what reason.. a simple yet professional talk would be very helpful
itsaddieg
no, not at all. i think its a long term battle that can take years to overcome. there is no magical power where you can wake up one morning and feel better
Casryn86
Unfortunately, no. Depression is a complicated beast that requires some time to tackle. There may be little remedies that you find that help you in the moment, but ultimately it takes time and effort to get you back to a healthier and happier state of mind.
StormWilliams
There is no quick fix for depression. If there was, no one would be depressed! That is why there are so many different treatment options out there.
lavendersilk
There is no such thing as a "quick-fix." Depression takes time to get over, just like everything else. First you have to establish why you want to get better and then go from there.
NyxCain
Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for depression. Even medication takes a while to adjust your body and fix the chemical imbalance inside. Therapy takes time as well.
LuwUrZelf
Have a nice warm cup of cocoa or tea, hug your pet if you have any and watch a good movie or TV show. Or you can call your good fun friend whom you can always trust and call him/her over or go out together and do something entertaining or if you need, then just chat :)