My anxiety is getting worse and depression won't let me live my life, how do I overcome this?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

Anonymous
if it's possible for you, i highly encourage you to seek professional help. but, i understand that that's not a viable solution for everyone, so resources like 7 cups are a great place to start! if you can talk to a doctor (if that's possible), or a close friend/parent/sibling/relative that you trust, those are also great ways to help. also, while the internet can be unreliable at times, it's a great resource where you can find lots of support systems and potential resources for how to cope. but above all, try to get the help you need and deserve
Anonymous - Expert in Depression
Seek help, you deserve support and acceptance. Keep yourself motivated and invest in hobbies that make you happy, find a purpose in life and a passion.
ACESiT
If it has taken over your life, the best thing you can do is call a hotline (not all hotlines are for suicidal thoughts) or get a therapist.
Anonymous
Seek medical assistance via a therapist right away. If you are unable to do that, reach out to anyone in your family or circle of friends and tell them that you have been depressed for a while and need help; they may be able to support you into finding a therapist or medication so you can get back on track.
helpfulHeart67
I'm only a trained listener that's here to sympathize with you. I noticed you said that depression won't let you live your life. I suggest you seek help from a professional person.
Anonymous
Medication, lots of sleep, exercise, scheduling, getting out to get some fresh air, introduce some routine into your life Etc.
Anonymous
Avoid thinking about your anxiety and your depression try to fill your schedule with good things that can make you happy distract yourself by doing good things that might be helpful you will see a progress by time..do things for yourself draw,workout,paint,write& meditate
ListeningBunny22
Your anxiety and depression? Please explain better, If you do open up on your routine, I'll be sure to help. Thank you
MissMonMon
If your anxiety and depression is getting to much for you to handle, seek professional help. Seeing a professional counsellor or psychologist can allow you time to work on coping strategies and build up a support network. You have the strength, just find someone who can pull that strength out of you and help guide you back onto the right path.
baffledplatypus
Breath through it. Sounds silly I know, but breathing. Taking just a few moments to just breath. To feel my life, to just stay for a moment and live. For no one and nothing but myself. To take that time, no matter what to just stop, stay and breath.
exquisiteLion14
How have you seen your anxiety and depression have gotten worse? Have you spoken to someone about this?
blackstar
Seeking professional help will definitely get you on the right track, it's a start. And you've already made the first step, admitting/acknowledging the problem. Talk to a parent or a trained professional or both. They can help you.
Anonymous
Try and seek help from someone who is a professional look for outlets to vent write a letter to yourself ask for help
Anonymous
Humility, Acceptance and Tolerance. Everyday is a hardship, but a lesson to be learned. Let your mind expand with each day. With each passing seek nothing but the light in your mind that keeps you going. I wish you luck, I seek nothing but your prosperity in the near future. Stay strong.
AdmirableTree
Becoming more aware of your thoughts through journaling and mind maps and challenging them with your actions.
Nisee96
I think that you should speak to a professional. The 7 Cups Of Tea website has therapists you can speak to who can give you advice. And help you through this!
energizingPicture66
seeking a doctor, and learning self care and speaking to people we trust can help with depression and anxiety. I have personally found deep breathing may not change the situation, but it is very helpful just to distract enough to get through the moment.
llauren90
In my experience, getting close with some furry friends is a great way to help. If you can't own a pet, try going to your local shelter and offering to walk the dogs or play with the kittens. Most places allow this. Feeling unconditional love from animals is a great way to reconnect and feel like you're making a difference.
WNoelle10
Talk to someone. Either find someone that you already know and trust, and ask for some one-on-one time with them. Be brave and ask for help from them. Or, if you’d rather talk with someone you do not know, do some research about counselors or therapists in the area. Coping skills will prove helpful with your anxiety, and feeling like someone understands you will be a great first step in dealing with the depression.
Anonymous
Carrying things that make you most comfortable with you while you go out are things that I've found the most helpful, if it's something you can't carry because of size or weight, you can snap a picture and save it as your home screen on your phone, so whenever you go on your phone to distract yourself, the warming image is there to greet you!
brigettebee
Try seeing a therapist for help or a doctor for medication. At home, you can also do some mindfulness meditation (you can find this on YouTube or download an app called Calm), or do any activity that relaxes you such as exercise, listening to music, venting to a friend, etc
LittleDesii
It's not easy. I say it a lot, but the best thing to do is take it one day at a time, and make sure you have the time you need to care for yourself.
Anonymous
Take up a new hobby! It may not seem like much, but having something to care for and to be excited about can really help low mood.
HeyItsAshy
Its just another phase of life. Time heals everything. Keep distracting yourself from thoughts that will make you sad. Do what you like most. :)
BlaireMack198
One of the best ways I know of is talking to a trustworthy adult, your parents or some friends about how you're feeling, talking things out can often lead to things getting better in your life because you will feel more supported
Anonymous
You are fine. There are a bunch of things you can do. Have you tried writing down your feelings, thought by thought? Try that. Also, 7 Cups has nice Meditation-type exercises, especially for Anxiety, too: http://www.7cups.com/exercises/mindfulness/?showlist=1 Check out the "Anxiety," and "Uncategorized" sections.
Kelleyd83
October 22nd, 2016 5:26am
Sometimes we can't do everything on our own. Sometimes we have to rely on something bigger than ourselves to help us "change" or "transform". Not everything can be fixed by waving a magic wand. Some things take time and work. The Buddhists call it "effortless effort". This is the practice of meditation, and it is both relying on a "higher power" to mend your broken bones, while at the same time driving towards your goals.
CassandraLouise
By seeking professional help will help you overcome the worst of anxiety and depression, after this you can learn how to prevent it, positive thinking and healthy lifestyle are all ways to keep on track!
melancholiaa
surround yourself with positivity. its the one way that will lead to to being better. once you have enough positivity in your life, it'll be easier to work on yourself. (:
Anonymous
Hmmm it depends on the person,and situation. You can speak to a trusted adult or a trusted friend and seek help