My anxiety is getting worse and depression won't let me live my life, how do I overcome this?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

Anonymous
When I was going through the anxiety phase, I was thinking only negative thoughts and those thoughts were worsening my condition more and more leading to depression. My focus was totally on my weakness, I was not seeing what good I have. My mind got entangled in a loop of negativity but I wanted to be free from all this. I learned mindfulness technique that helped in analysing the issue from different angel. I learned that if I am feeling anxious than something need to change in my action. I was doing something that wasn't worth, and leading to same results which gave me weird feelings. I did self introspection and started solving the problem. Yes it took some time to win the battle, as again and again that loop comes back to you and you need to break it no matter what.
originalbraveheart63
You can overcome this by meeting a therapist, that is the best method to exactly find out what can be improved and how can u make feel urself better.
Anonymous
Try to concentrate on the good things in life and spend most of your time by doing it. Try to keep your mind off of the bad things and try to take back control.
Anonymous
The first step you can take is find out which is the root of the problem, is it anxiety or depression that's causing the other. Once you know that work on fixing it, maybe trying to reduce depression by reading inspirational quotes or watching comical movies etc or maybe remove anxiety by living in the moment and trying to improve the present so the future wouldn't need so much worry, or any other way you'd like to. Once you decide on fixing it, that itself will show you the way :) hope it helped!
JustTuTu
Practicing relaxation constantly is definitely an aid. When we give our bodies the chance to relax, the chemicals that our brain produces in excess, and which can be harmful certain times, are flushed or decreased. Just having the excess of these chemicals taken out of our system brings a sense of relief to the body and allows for the mind to function more freely. Once our minds are "freed" from the tyranny of the brain chemicals it is up to us to choose our next steps, such as selecting what behaviors we will feed from that moment on, and so on... Sometimes we have to give our brains the chance to produce healthy/positive chemicals too, and allow our bodies to learn a way to counter the former situation. This may become a daily exercise. We need to discipline our bodies and allow our minds to not be entirely bound to our organic functions or dysfunctions.
Nova190
You need to find someone to listen to you and think about who you are and how you know you are strong to overcome it. You are your own unique person, make the right decision and even if you don't, learn from your mistakes. Become stronger and wiser as you grow as a person
jxpiter
I'm sorry you feel this way. To be honest the best way to overcome this is to get the help you need and deserve. Talk to a therapist. They can help you the best. I know it costs money, but your happiness is the most valuable thing in life. The first step is hard, I know that. It took me 2 years to reach out for help, but that was the best decision I made in life. I'm not there yet, I'm not recovered. But I'm on my way to being recovered and that's the only thing that counts. I hope you will get there soon! You deserve it and you're worth it.
Scenery420
Coping strategies are very important to dealing with daily stress and anxiety. Finding the right method of coping may help you overcome, or at least lessen the anxiety. Personally, I like yoga.
JeanBalleine
Anxiety can generally be very frightening, most of the time, it's the thoughts that the anxiety causes that cause distress. Fortunately, It is easy to remind yourself that these thoughts weight no real value and are only a product of your anxiety. Your original self still exist, it is only temporarily buried under the anxiety, so as soon as the anxiety begins to lose its weight, your original self will come back :) As for depression, I think that most of the time, it is important for the sufferers to not let their feelings takeover their mind. Therefore, if someone feels down, it is important to seek the source of the feeling and fight the root cause, as for the symptoms, it's important to do soothing activities to help you change your mind; taking a hot bath, a walk in the forest, aromatherapy, etc... :)
intelligentPeace51
February 1st, 2017 9:10pm
I find by acknowledging my anxiety and depression when it arises it puts me back in control. If I feel anxiety coming on I think to myself "Oh, this is anxiety". Once I've acknowledged it for what it really is, moving on becomes easier. It takes practice over time but it is a good start to overcoming this tough obstacle. Best of luck and lots of love to you.
radiantIceCream67
It's the little things. Those small things you look at and just know they're going to make you feel better. Know what your anxiety triggers are, and work to overcome them, make list of what you have to do to avoid that anxious feeling. Find something new so you don't shut down and end up in bed, fill the void, find what makes you happy.
cactusmilk
Try speaking to a counselor or psychologist to help them understand and support you. If that works then you should be able to cope better with your anxiety and depression.
Anonymous
Anxiety and depression affects the way you act towards things. Every time you feel it affecting you, breathe deeply and think of a time when you were happy. Transport yourself and sink into the happiness. Remember that you are stronger than this and there is so much you have done. There is a purpose for everything, and know that anxiety and depression can not destroy it.
imsandeep
Immediately consult a psychiatrist and get a advice from him. He/She will guide you based upon your problem
Rambleonrose
April 2nd, 2017 10:35am
First thing is; think POSITIVE. I know this is really hard to actually do, but you have to force yourself to thinking positive. Don't think things like 'depression is not letting me live my life'. Think things like 'depression is certainly making it hard to live my life, but I am strong and I can overcome this and fight it.' As for the anxiety, think of what the reality is, not what the reality COULD be. Also, I advise you to look up 'mental distortions'. It is a list of distorted ways someone may think when battling a mental illness, and I'm sure you may see some relevance in reading those.
peacefulkat
Try talking to a professional therapist and try getting the help you need. Try doing things to that you like and get out of your comfort zone. Don't worry about anything and focus on how you will make your life better.
Vronica23
It's very important when anxiety and depression are interfering with your day to day life to reach out to a professional. If this is so, it could mean that you need medication or therapy to deal with these disorders, and that is okay. A mental illness should be treated with the same amount of concern as a broken arm, you can not heal it on your own without seeking a doctor. However, in the mean time, there are several resource you can use to help ease your anxiety. Besides 7Cups, which is a wonderful way to take a first step in reaching out, I like to use the SAM app for anxiety. It provides so many techniques to help combat anxiety, even a help now button, for realistic exercises you can do right on your phone to help easy feelings of anxiety and panic. Most importantly, remember that there is always someone there willing to listen.
mumuxy
Depression is the worst feeling ever, take baby steps, start with getting rid of the things/people that make you depressed then start meeting optimistic people and do exciting things, go out, do sports,travel and by time your depression will go away and you will view the world differently.
Positivefutuream
Think about what is making your depression and anxiety affect you. Then think about receiving professional help. Remember there is nothing wrong with needing help!
neverendingWatermelon92
I suggest talking to a trusted family member, friend or doctor about how anxiety and depression are stopping you from living your life and see what they suggest. Alternatively, you can connect with a therapist on 7 Cups and see what they think. All the best!
Anonymous
I was always saved by my pets, Pets are great shock absorbers for people going through depression. Take a new hobby to kill your idle time, don't sit in endless loop of thoughts get up and take a walk. Journal your thoughts to see what triggers your depression more. Talk to close circle of friends who are ready to help.
lovelyKitty21
When the anxiety gets in the way of making everyday decisions and depression makes me blue it is hard to keep facing day-to-day living. I left work and drove straight to my doctor and asked for help. After a low dosage of anxiety/depression medication I could think more clearly.
SpeakFriendAndOpen
First get help, I know its a cliché but admitting you have a problem really is the first step to the solution.
Anonymous
Something that helped me was finding something I really enjoyed doing, such as playing music or journaling, and I did that whenever I felt myself start to become overwhelmed. While doing these activities, I would end up not thinking about my depression. I find that focusing on a task that involves using your brain during the entire process helps me.
Anonymous
Manage your anxiety, manage your life! Anxiety often takes away the enjoyment of life (much like depression does.) Anxious feelings prevent us from living in the moment and is physically uncomfortable. It takes away our enjoyment of hobbies, exercise, even breathing can be affected by anxiety and it can make us miserable. This can be treated with medication, relaxing mental practices, yoga, or anything that seems to help reduce anxiety. Depression can also be treated in a similar way.
Ruek
I think the best thing is to seek professional help. There are so many great therapists and counselors who will help you go through this challenging time. Best of luck.
hearthugger47
Talk about it, I know it is really hard, but there are people out there that will listen to you. You can also ask a friend, brother or sister to just sit, stand or walk next to you, that can also help, somebody just being there for you
Anonymous
Whenever I feel depressed, I take time to take care of myself. It is ok to feel depressed, now and then. Let yourself feel it. But after feeling it for a little bit, be sure to reinforce, in your mind, anything that you have to feel thankful for. Gratitude for the big and little things in life are key to helping you get through depression. Anxiety is a different animal. It is best to not let yourself dwell in anxiety for any length of time. The attitude of gratitude can help with anxiety, too, but I have found it more helpful to talk to somebody to most effectively squash this feeling before it snowballs. Talking things over with somebody is never a mistake.
Anonymous
It is a little hard to say, but I have found going outside all. the. time. helps tremendously. Not where there are people, mind you, but anywhere with trees and a good amount of space. Anxiety gives me the feeling of being crowded/smothered, so going where there is space to roam helps me. Depression's a tad more difficult for me. Going outside during the night seems to help, moving around in general helps. Maybe try writing out the good things that have happened, even if they're tiny, tiny things, like seeing a puppy, eating a favorite meal, noticing a teensy flower. To paraphrase, look for the good, and accept the bad
Anonymous
Have you tried some alternative medicine? Such as ayurvedic or any other eastern one? Have you considered acupunture? Or binaural beats? I encourage you to do some research on these and eat a healthy (organic when possible) diet and exercise. Did you lnow exercise can reduce depression sometimes to a great extent? And last but not least, support is sometimes more helpful than any medicine!:)