My anxiety is getting worse and depression won't let me live my life, how do I overcome this?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

Aulyacu
Some of the ways that you can do to overcome anxiety are as follows: 1. Enough time to sleep and rest. 2. Limit consumption of caffeine and alcoholic drinks. 3. Reduce stress by trying relaxation techniques, such as meditation and yoga. 4. Doing physical activity or exercising regularly. 5. Try to exchange ideas or share with friends. 6. consult a psychiatrist. 7. Forget all the anxiety in your way of thinking positive things. For example: You're anxious if you can't do the exam well. Change that thought to being: I can go through it and it will definitely work. 8. Always believe that whatever has happened, it is the best for you. And find the wisdom behind all the happenings.
Anonymous
In my personal experience, I've tried and try daily to think of my thougths like something I can take out of me and observe. That helps me to think like how it would be if I didn't have those thougths... and just that helps a lot. It's like having two versions or two possibilyties of reality and choose. Hope it's helpful for you. Mindfulness has been very helpful. Try any app in your mobile if you have the chance or simply close your eyes and hear all the sounds around you, or feel your body breathing in and out. It helps dissconeccting from the continous chatting in your mind.
starrylightsW
Hello! Try to take some time to just decompress and rest. Get comfy in bed and play your favorite movie or talk to a friend or bake something. Take some time to not have anything going on except for you to physically and mentally rest. Then when you're done, maybe make a list of little things to do (make your bed, brush your teeth), then keep building on it (go for a walk, talk to a friend). Try to find things that can help you get unstuck that you enjoy doing. Maybe see what hobbies you like (sports, painting, etc.). Good luck!
Rabbit033
I have dealt with depression for most of my life. I'm had bouts of debilitating anxiety and panic attacks. I had no social life and couldn't get a job. I did nothing but stay home all day and all night. I let this control me for years. In time, I slowly started to get out of my comfort zone. I began going to the gym. I'm a strong believer in peace of body equals peace of mind. Also, although boring to some' this was my way of going out and socializing. Not saying you have to join a gym but you have to get out there and try. Live life. Do regular everyday normal things. Push yourself out of your comfort each day and build that positive momentum.
peterc
I really hear how difficult and troubling these emotions are for you. How depression and anxiety intrude into your life, when you did not ask for this at all. So of course you would want to know - how do I overcome this? If we saw a wild, panicked animal struggling in a net, fighting harder & hard to get free and getting more and more entangled - and if magically it could understand language - we would probably say first: stop fighting. Be with it. Notice it - the ropes, where you are bound. Become intimately familiar with it. Don't rip and tear - even though it feels so horrible - notice. Slow it down. Only then is there a hope of a next step, and being free. So for you, too, I would say - notice how much you are doing to escape this horrible experience. The things you say inside yourself. The way you crunch down your emotions. How you distract yourself, try to escape. But instead - slow down to 0 mph. Notice how big the feeling is, from 0 to 10. Notice where it is in your body - where is it more present? Does it have a shape - a weight, a temperature, a movement, a texture? And then....just....bring your awareness to it, again and again. If you keep doing this - over time - the ropes will loosen.
Bluelovelyrose
breathe. it’s never easy, but it’s possible. take it slow. your willingness to overcome this is the first step to actually overcoming this. anxiety and depression are part of the human condition, and none of this is your fault. you have every right to feel your emotions, but you deserve every courage to not let your emotions overshadow you. you are bigger than your fear, and your thoughts are under your control. practice mindfulness, meditation, breathing exercises, hydration, soaking in the sun and basking in good music. sometimes finding joy in the small things can help us overcome anything this world of suffering throws at us. remember you matter, and your anxiety/depression are a small insignificant fragment of your being.
safeshoulder2CryOn
Life can sometimes exert tremendous pressure that can overwhelm us. If you are already suffering from depression and you find your anxieties rocketing, do not despair, there is a way out. But you must take immediate action to respond appropriately. Your first call should be to monitor and identify any anxieties spiralling out of control n curb these by limiting your thoughts to one positive thought. Discard all other autonomous negative ones that drown you.Literally let everything else go. Then slow right down with breathing exercises. Calm your body n mind with 10-20mins of gentle breathing with the one positive thought in your mind and eyes closed.Once you have stabilized then open your eyes get some refreshments, and tackle one thing at a time. Do not open up plans for future etc. Just take one day at a time. If you suffer from chronic depression, you need to get professional help. Try to put effort into doing your desired tasks but don’t force things to progress quickly.Depression is your body's request to you to slow down and take stock of unresolved internal traumas. Hence you need to listen to your inner voice and not push yourself. Always take one step atba time.
hannahlistensalways
It is really important to be in touch with your feelings, but also to recognize negative feelings and speak about them to trusted others. If it's getting unmanageable it is important to consider your options, like finding a new hobby, speaking with loved ones, or even considering medication or therapy if it becomes unbearable to live your life. Your mental health is so important, almost as important as your physical health and you should always be taking care of yourself! Suppressing your feelings will only make your anxiety and dperession worse, so it's really good that you are coming here to ask for solutions and your acknowledging that these feelings that you are having need to be let out.