My depression has become severe and sometimes I go up to 5 days without eating. I also can’t sleep. Is there anything I can do to make it easier to stay physically healthy?

Susan Carter, PhD LP

Sometimes you just need someone to listen, who gets it, who sees hope, who knows where to start and what steps to take. I can be that someone.

SingingButterfly22
I have depression, but I don't eat because of anorexia. Sometimes though, I just forget to eat cause I'm too busy and I have no desire to. I like to set reminders to eat and ask others to make me sit down and eat with them. You could ask a doctor about medications that are safe to use every night to help sleep. I also try to wind down before bed with something relaxing like journaling... which can also help with depression. I hope this is a little bit helpful and wish you the best of luck in trying to figure this out.
AlexTheDolphin
Hey. First of all it's very good that you care about being physically healthy. It sounds like you able to see the importance of self care. In my personal experience trying to stick with a routine might help. For example: you could brush you teeth every morning, make food each evening etc. If you have someone in your life to whom you could hold accountability regarding some of your self care activities, it might help you stick up with a routine. You could also try to use this site in order to find someone you would hold accountability to regarding your daily routine. Another thing you could try is to think what are the things that you actually able to do? No matter how small they are, for example writing this post.. what's easier for you to do and what's harder , when it's easier and when it's harder. And why? remember nothing is too small! Each time you manage to achieve some self care goal , no matter how small, you making a great progress. You deserve the best, and you deserve to be healthy, well fed and well slept.