Should I go on antidepressants?

Hannah Caradonna, MSW, RCSW (RCC #11330)

Social Worker

I offer a warm and non-judgmental space for you to work through your problems. I can help you with anxiety, disordered eating, depression, relationship problems and more.

juuxo
I'm on antidepressants. I'm on them because I have major depression and anxiety. It's treating my chemical imbalance, and that's what they're for. You need to speak to a professional to figure out if that's the kind of assistance you need. Just remember they aren't magic "happy" pills.
NICK08
I wouldn't recommend it.. Antidepressants are meant for someone suffering from longtime clinical depression , it controls your mind and has some adverse side effects, if it is not recommended by a psychiatrist one should never take antidepressants or tranquilizers on their own!
Nika4
While that is definitely a question best saved for your doctor, antidepressants helped me a lot. They don't work the way most people would expect them to- the world doesn't automatically become colourful again- but I found that the lows were not nearly as low and I felt better equipped to deal with life than I had previously. The change they had on my life was gradual but substantial. Since the treatment takes a long time to work, I don't know if I would have bothered if I was not chronically depressed, but I think it is worth a chat with your doctor :).
magister221470
Yeah. Start on them and if they dont work out for you, get off them. It's a bit of a wild ride really.
Spiderman93
Only you and your doctor can decide if antidepressants are right for you. What is good for one person, may not be good for another.
Jaelin
This is really a question every one needs to answer for themselves, Anti-Depressants DO have side effects like all medications. There are risks. And they may not work, it may take time to find the ones that are right for YOUR body and your chemistry. But it might also be a risk worth taking.
Anonymous
Anti depressants aren't really fully understood by the medical or psychological community, and many, especially SSRI class antidepressants, like Prozac an Zoloft, come with a cadre of dangerous side effects. The most important thing is that we do not understand the long term effects of SSRIs, and if they are documented, they are well hidden by the companies that manufacture them. Additionally, antidepressants do not solve your problems, they make you feel better while keeping the problem wholly intact. Far better to deal with the problem properly than to ignore it.
leigh1104
Typically, we know our bodies better than anyone else does. Chances are, if you think you should be on medications, then it's worth calling up your healthcare provider and getting a referral to someone who could help in prescribing them. It's extremely important to never self-diagnose and leave it up to the professionals.
Claire91
This is a tough question - the effects of antidepressants really vary widely based on the individual person, so it's difficult to predict side effects a certain person might experience, or if a certain antidepressant will work for you. Having tried a variety of antidepressants myself, I will say that it is probably important to be patient, as I did not stay on any of those medications long enough to see possible results (antidepressants typically take about 4-6 weeks to really start working, I believe. But it does vary). I stopped because of side effects that concerned me, but unfortunately it seems that most people go through at least some side effects, at least in the beginning. But it should always be up to you whether or not to continue the medication. I can tell you that side effects certainly can lessen, but if a side effect concerns you too much, and it's not something you can handle even if you've only just started the medication, you of course have every right to stop taking it. I can tell you I'm currently trying an antidepressant for the longest I ever have (which really has only been maybe 3 weeks, so not very long), and at least some of the side effects that I went through in the beginning have dissipated. But it really is up to you. It could be helpful to consult with a psychiatrist, though I would just be careful that you find a good one who doesn't automatically push medications on you. Talk therapy can be perhaps just as effective, and I've heard that the combination of talk therapy and medication can also be particularly helpful. But again, it depends on the individual. I don't know where you are in your path towards seeking treatment, but I commend you for thinking about this and taking steps to get better. Take care.
Aubrie
I know I am on them, and they seem to work decent for me. If you think it's best for you, then maybe! But you should see a doctor.
choosejoy
Antidepressants were very helpful to me when starting to get out of depression. I did not stay on them, they just helped me get through school and get out of bed. It could just be for temporary or however long you need.
Alwaysdreamin
This is a question for a medical professional. Many people are helped by these types of medications but others may not be or may have side effects. Everyone reacts differently so here at 7 Cups, we do not give medical advice or discuss medications. I wish you the best and ask that you contact a medical professional.
WolvenEars90
Consult your doctor about how you feel and how your life has been going for you. Only you know yourself: Your mind, your body, your soul. This is a question you should mainly ask yourself when you feel as though you have tried everything that you possibly could but have received no positive results. But, mind you, sometimes when you get started on the drugs, you become dependent on them. Ask yourself: Can I afford these for the rest of my life if I can't cope without them? Do I really want to be dependent on a drug to help manage my life? Is this what I really want to do or is there another alternative?
Amrita
Antidepressants can help in a lot of cases. Its always best to discuss your options with a psychiatrist or your GP so that you can make an informed decision about what would be the best choice for you.
ToBGold
It's important to remember that every person is different, and what's good for one person might not be good for someone else. When deciding whether or not to go on antidepressant it's important to examine yourself, and ultimately choose the path the best suits you. Remember never to self medicate, always ask a medical professional before starting on any kind of perscription medication.
Transcendence
This is a question you should take with your therapist or doctor, depending on where you live. They will be able to aid you with more accuracy than we can.
Krissy322
Antidepressants are not for everyone. Taking medicine for your depression can help you get your life back to normal, but if your symptoms truly are keeping you from living your normal life. Also, antidepressants don't work right away. And you may need to try several times before you find one that actually works. As I see it, the mind needs to do the work of healing itself. Medications just support the mind to make this job easier. Antidepressants can help you function, help you get up in the morning, help you have the energy to get through your day and lift your mood enough so that life doesn’t feel so… painful.
thegirlinthebluescarf
Some say consult your doctor or psychiatrist but they often push antidepressants. When I was 16 they put me on Zoloft which has a high teen suicide thoughts rate. I ended up having suicidal thoughts and it was the worst experience ever. If you find the right medication it can be a God send but if you get put on the wrong one it can have some really bad effects.
GittleLeo
That is a decision someone has to make for themselves, What you need to make sure is that you have done everything you can to make sure you have been able to take care of the external causes of your depression before you start to deal with them chemically. Medications are a heavy step to take and you need to determine if this is a tool that you are going to use temporarily to get yourself out of a bad situation or if you might need to use them long term. The best thing to do is meet with a psychiatrist and make sure this is an option for you. You may be able to come up with some other methods to treat your depression. You also need to keep in mind that some medications can cause some harmful effects on the body if they are used long term and you may have to decide if that is a risk you want to take.
PedroMAlves1992
Never on your own! No matter how bad you feel, first find a doctor and if you trust him and he prescribes antidepressants then you can take them.
Anonymous
LOL - This question was made for me. Yes, I believe they help, but they're not enough. Determination is needed. You should see a doctor if you think you might need antidepressants, obviously!
Anonymous
It all depends on how bad you're feeling, and for how long you've felt that way for. If you're having a short-term crisis maybe going on them for six months or so would be a good thing. If you've had problems for a much longer time, then you might want to look on staying on them in the long-term. I suffered from an anxiety disorder for 8 years without realizing, and because I put treatment off for so long, I'm now on antidepressants for about two years or longer. If you can find one that works for you, then that's great! It's all a matter of choice: and you can still live a normal everyday life: people don't even notice you're on them :)
SelfDiscovery
That's something that you should really discuss with a doctors. It really depends on your diagnosis and severity of the symptoms of what you are dealing with. There are definitely benefits to medication in the right situation. Sometimes they can definitely improve your quality of life. There are also side-effects that you have to consider as well. A psychiatrist or even a general practitioner can help you make that determination. Ultimately you have to do what you think is best for you as well.
JulieAB
October 2nd, 2014 3:23am
If you feel like antidepressants are right for you than you should do it, but you should always research before hand and find out whats best for you.
ShineLikeARose
Antidepressants are used for serve cases of depression only. This is because it servely tampers with the physical health.
Mateia
You should choose what is right for you. Research the topic on internet so that you can make your own choice. Stats show that the majority of people benefit most from a combination of medication and talk therapy. However, it also shows that talk therapy on its own is as effective as medication. Medication also do have side effects
Aryanna
If you feel you need to, then you must. But if ever in need just try to connect to a listener and hopefully they can make you feel better :)
Starfish116
Sometimes individuals need antidepressants to help them feel better. There is no shame in taking them. You need to consult a doctor.
ChrisRabin
Don't treat them as a prescription, treat them as a reminder of how to feel better, IF YOU REALLY CANNOT HELP IT!
FrancescaGabrielle
The choice to go on any sort of medication is an extremely personal decision and is entirely up to the individual. You should do whatever you think will be the best thing for you, no one else. Medications can be very effective in treating depression, but there are also a variety of other treatment strategies that are very successful as well. Discuss with your doctor what you feel would be the best course of action to take. Feel free to private message me if you'd like to discuss this topic any further. Best Wishes, Francesca Gabrielle