Should I go on antidepressants?

Hannah Caradonna, MSW, RCSW (RCC #11330)

Social Worker

I offer a warm and non-judgmental space for you to work through your problems. I can help you with anxiety, disordered eating, depression, relationship problems and more.

listeningtoyou
If it's really necessary, yes. I If you think you can do it by talking with an expert; no. It's better to try by talking and later on, if it doesn't work, you can try antidepressants/
ZoeAlwaysSmile
If depression is interfering a lot with your life, to take antidepressants is a good option. However, to take them you should first visit a tehrapist, like a psychologist or a psychiatrist
Teasley4031
Personally, I think they are very helpful. It has taken me awhile to find just the right meds and dosages, but now that we have, I feel like I'm finally able to function a little better. That being said, I think that whether or not someone goes on them is their decision. There is this weird stigma around people going on them and people saying that it's bad to go on them, well they're wrong. Talk it over with your doctor....if you both think it's right, then go for it! Don't be afraid to try new things, you never know what's gonna work :)
Fabyiiana
Before you get to that point i think you should definitely see a therapist, or a doctor. You shouldn't take anything that isn't given to you by a specialist. Antidepressive are a serious thing and you should be always careful with this stuff. Talk to a doctor, explain how you feel and try to solve your problem first whitout any medication. If the doctor thinks that you need them, it will be on him to give you any kind of antidepressive medication.
kittykat
The use of medication for mental disorders is an intensely personal choice, and it all depends on your feelings and circumstances. Major depression is caused by a decreased serotonin production in the brain, which is a medical issue that can be solved with antidepressants. That's why they work! But some people prefer lifestyle changes and community support to the introduction of medication. Try talking to your doctor or a mental health professional about your unique situation to get their advice, and make the decision that feels right to you. And if you do decide to take antidepressants, be careful to monitor changes in your mood, and to stop taking them / call your doctor if you begin experiencing increased suicidal or self-destructive urges.
Gemma8483
November 1st, 2014 1:53pm
Antidepressants can work wonders for some people but for others they may not. You can always come off of them though if they don't work how you wanted to. There are sometimes withdrawal symptoms but they are only temporary so it is often still worth a try. It all depends on the individual, so discussing it with a doctor can help you make up your mind.
stephx
This is not a decision you need to make on your own. Speak to proper healthcare providers (i.e. a psychiatrist, psychologist, etc.) and get their professional opinions on whether antidepressants would be the best course of treatment. If they recommend it, take their advice, but be careful to continue meeting with them, and be very aware of how your body and mind are reacting to the medications. Antidepressants work wonders for many, but not all.
molarbear
I put it off for a long time, but after talking to my doctor it made sense. My parents were always strongly against them as a kid, I hated giving what I was feeling a name, but it has helped me a lot.
poeticjewel95
If you really feel as if you should, then do what you have to do. But, if you feel like there are other options for you, then I would say to try them first.
Asparagus515
That's a really difficult personal decision. Antidepressants are more effective for people with severe depression than people with mild or moderate depression. Talk to your doctor or therapist and try to weigh the pros and cons.
AliCares20
Antidepressants are a very personal choice. Every person will react differently to medications and there are lots of different types of antidepressants out there. The decision to take them, or not, is one that should be taken after taking to your doctor and considering what would be medically best for your personal situation.
Anonymous
If you have been feeling depressed for a while then its probably a good idea. See your doctor and see what he/she suggests
Anonymous
Some people find benefit from antidepressants, and some people do just fine with therapy alone. Only a licensed professional who has met you in person can tell you this, NO ONE can tell you that over the internet!
PeaceTrain
It depends upon the situation that you are in. However, antidepressants are something that you should be taking based on an expert medical prescription. If you really think that you desperately need some medical help, contact a mental health expert or a psychologist.
oreo23a
From what I know of antidepressants they can do either one of two things; make you chipper or make you numb. But I have mostly heard of them draining all feelings, sadness and happiness. Though if you feel this is your best and last option I would take it.
cleveland
Antidepressants can be hugely helpful if you are struggling with a mental health issue. Some issues, like depression and anxiety, are really chemical issues. Some people don't realize that and look at these things as shameful or embarrassing. There is nothing wrong with taking antidepressants; they have helped me to live a more fulfilling, happy life.
positivity22
Antidepressants surely changed my life for the better. When I went on Zoloft, it took me a while to finally find the dose I needed. I could feel my life changing for the better when combined with my weekly therapy. If your doctor thinks they will be beneficial to you, I definitely think you should!
Talore
It depends on how your situation is. You shouldn't go on them for fun. Antidepressants are not something to just take when you want it. It is actual medicine that could help you or make the situation worse.
ThePoet
It really depends on your age. If you are under 18, a lot of the drugs out there have not been long-term tested on children. That means it can have bad effects that they dont know about later in life. If you are over 18, then you should understand that not all antidepressants are for you. Some might not agree with your system and react adversely, making you more depressed. Its more of a personal belief.
Anonymous
Before you start using pills without knowing how they work, I suggest you to talk with an expert about it and he would see if you need them or not.
Anonymous
You should only go on anti depressants if you really think you need them .. get proffessional help ..let them evaluate you and if they see it fit for you to take antidepressants well so be it
helps101
if you really want to i mean your decision but i also think they are very easy to get addicted to and that is one of the bad things
UsagiGirlLovesYou31
If you feel the need to, it's best to use them... The only trouble is if you stop taking them then you'll just be in the same state as you were before you started taking them.. But if you really need them to stop everything bad happening, yes. It would be wise :)
Anonymous
This is a tricky question - I have been on antidepressants for about five years now, and am currently being tapered off some of them. I am constantly experiencing withdrawal symptoms, and it's horrible. Being on antidepressants itself isn't a constant high like you'd expect - it's numbing.
MaxObie22
That is something for a medical health professional to decide, if that is something you want to consider using, it might be worthwhile to speak with your doctor and see if that is the right option for you.
Smilewhenitrains87
I really can't give advice on this but I can refer you to resources so you can get the help you need.
Anonymous
That is up to your doctor to decide. Be sure to be completely honest with him/her. If you don't want your parents to know about it, you can talk to your doctor by yourself. Just note that anything you say that might put you in harm's way, they will tell your parents.
Polkiujy
Well before we answer the yes or no question, you so go check with a trained psychologist and if they recommend it, then yes its actually better to go on antidepressants. Though it may seem like a bad or scary idea, it is tested medication that will help you in terms of making you feel better or at least neutral about whats around you. Medication is something that honestly does end up helping your life.
DipityEnigma
This question is pretty vague. The only sensible answer to give is to go see your GP. They should know you better than anyone, have your records and they're licensed. Whenever you have a medical problem, always consult your doctor. If a doctor isn't available, you can contact your out of hours health service which you should be able to find a number for online. For example, the NHS out of hours health service phone number is 111.
IY72
That is for your doctor or therapist to decide. If you don't have a doctor and/or trained professional helping you, and you feel the need for anti-depressants, I recommend talking to a trained professional as the first step. They will help decide what is right for you.