Shouldn't I be able to get over depression on my own?

Brenda King, PsyD

I treat life changes, women’s issues, and issues of aging using evidence-based treatments with healthy doses of warmth, empathy and humor to enhance healing and growth.

Anonymous
No. In my experience with depression, it is such an off and on disease. Without the support of my family, friends, and my therapist, I would not be here. Everyone needs support, especially when you are going through a tough time.
Anonymous
There was a time when I went through depression. The worst thing about it was that I felt so lonely.......I felt like I was alone and didn't matter at all. That made me feel worthless. I was able to overcome it with the help of my family. I don't know where I would be without them. In my experience depression can't be cured alone. You need someone to tell you they care. That you matter. Because you do. You deserve it.
Nervana2
I can by setting standard by myself and having my own self esteem first ..then start at treating people nice so I can treat them the way that I want myself to be treated with :)
ArrietheKing
It may seem like it, but to give this a metaphor to make it easier, someone suffering with depression is "broken." We've been broken away from life, from happiness- and for some, general feeling. We cannot fix ourselves- we're too broken. We need someone to fix us. So, in answer, you can try- some people have fixed themselves- but most of us need to be fixed.
Anonymous
Depression is an illness, so you need help! It's ok to have a depression!!! You will be fine!!!!! *hug*
Priyu88
This is exactly what had occurred to me when I got depressed. As I was always treated as "agony aunt" in my group, I was surprised when I wasn't able to deal with my own issues. But at that moment you are so succumbed to the stress that you don't have a clear head to deal with that. So you need someone the hear you out because in anxiety we sometime don't even admit the complete problem to our self. We fear confronting it. But framing our worries and fears in words, give us strength to deal with it. This is what I have experienced.
yessitshannah
I see it as impossible to get over depression on your own. You for sure at least need a sturdy support group who is there for you no matter the circumstances
NoNeedToFearHayleyIsHere
Yes and no. Sometimes people can get over depression on their own depending on what's making them depressed and how big or little the depression is. Other times, people need help from either a parent, best friend, trusted adult, ect. to help them.
Pailein
This is a great question! I think, sometimes does everybody need help to solve something and depressions are really serious problems. It's hard to solve them with a professional person, either, but it is just simpler and better, because you have somebody who is actually there for you and know, what to do and what problems will come to you in the future.
TruthPrevails
Like everyone should cross their own obstacles, see depression as one obstacle which prevents you from achieving what you want. Like all the things in life you must be prepared to combat it or better prevent is as prevention is better than cure. Earlier I get depressed too often and then I found out life is too short and there is so much we can accomplish in that time - like takng up a new hobby, reading a book, helping someway or the other or just quietly and look at the nature as to gather my own thoughts. We must sort out the thoughts that is hurting us and make necessary preparations to deal with it so it doesn't become a hindrance again. When we're happy we can accomplish many things and that is because we have some answers and we know what is our next step or our wants, the same way when we get depressed our mind gets clouded as we fail to see the answers. A listener isn't a special person, he/she is just able to point out your thoughts which you fail to see. :)
theparadoxpanda
Most people cannot get over depression by themselves. Although it is a battle that only you are able to fight there are other people that can provide support and service to help you fight better and help restore yourself after the battle. Although you fight alone, other assist in helping. No one is ever completely alone.
Anonymous
You might, but too often you wont, because all people needs support and care, and having someone to talk to will help you to realise things you havent realised before
Anonymous
patients who suffer from clinical depression need all the support they can get, including whatever medical approach might be advisable. It can be risky to ignore depression because in some cases when left untreated it can be life-threatening. About two thousand years ago, Jesus Christ acknowledged that those with medical experience could provide needed help, when he said that ‘those who are ill need a physician.’ (Mark 2:17) The fact is that physicians can do much to alleviate the suffering of many depressed patients. 
Anonymous
At its core, clinical depression is very physical, even when it doesn't seem like it. It's the disruptance of how chemicals are transmitted between brain cells. Thereotically you could get better by yourself, but I think it's as likely as trying to recover from two broken legs without getting medical attention. But even more importantly, there's nothing wrong with asking for help. You might be feeling guilty for burdening others, weak for struggling when you think you shouldn't be, helpless not knowing what to do, and whatever you are feeling is okay and accepted. It's a lot to deal with, and there's nothing wrong with sharing the crushing weight of the sea with someone else. You are allowed to ask for help.
hopefulPower94
Depression is a serious mental illness and it requires professional help in my opinion. Having a mental illness is difficult and there is no shame in asking for help. You are not weak for needing help. So to answer your question, I would say no.
Anonymous
its very easy to think that we can get through our depression on our own. Sometimes, we can get through it, but generally, without help, we risk the chance of it coming back again. the issues behind the depression really need to be addressed, and having someone to talk through it all can be very beneficial
Anonymous
It is possible by giving yourself time. But finding help in others can lift improvement in your life
Ksha97
It really depends, there are some implications Sometime we need the help of professional , therapist and all If we are surrounded by compassionate people , am sure we must be able to get over it on our own
Anonymous
It's okay to need help with your depression, its also okay to deal with it alone. Yet sometimes a little help can make the biggest difference.
Its hard to get over a feeling like depression. There is no one answer fits all. If you are having trouble getting over depression and are suffering.Perhaps speaking to a counselor or therapist can help.
RedHeadedSurvivor
You could, but the road to recovery is long and hard. The best way is to find support from those around you, or from the many dedicated listeners on this website.
Anonymous
If you have the mental constitution, you most definitely can. I've been into and out of depression on my own as a proof of that.
Anonymous
October 22nd, 2015 2:57am
No, depression is something that nobody should have to go through on their own. I have friends who deal with depression, and I can tell you that after they started opening up to me and people that they trusted things started to look up for them. You shouldn't feel ashamed to ask someone for help if you are going through a hard time. You are not alone.
Anonymous
It's different for everyone. I was, but you might not or might be able to. Some people need to go to a doctor or a therapist.
00Gatsby00
it will take time,desipline and there will be relapses but yes you can...if the depression is severe or lasting you will need to see a therapist .Depression is a serious issue which will ruin your life without realizing the time spent in this state.
poofinessence
No. Nope! Some people have more situational depression, where they are depressed because of something specific that has happened to them that they're having a hard time dealing with. Sometimes they can just get out of their depression on their own. But for a lot of people, depression is an actual medical condition that takes place in your brain. Something about the hormones or the chemicals or the neurotransmitters in your brain can cause you to be depressed. Those are things that you literally have no control over on your own, and you NEED the help of a professional who can prescribe you medications to correct those chemical imbalances. A lot of people also need to learn how to deal with their depression in therapy. A lot of people have never even thought about dealing with that kind of issue, so it makes sense why they would have no idea how to combat it on their own. So the simple answer is, NO! You should not necessarily be able to get over depression on your own! :)
Anonymous
It depends on who you are as a person. I got over it myself and with help, but not everyone can be like me. Some people need to reach out and talk to people for help.
Jay9816
I mean i guess you could, but it is so much harder and it'll take a longer time, almost for ever i guess you could say. You are already in the mind set of negative thoughts and it wont be hard to talk yourself into one more cut, or skip one more meal, etc. Just one more. But if you get help, when you are in a slump and you want to give up you have someone else to tell you "Hey, you got this. Don't give up. You are worth it you are strong" It's nice to have an army to back you up and hold you up in a time of need.
zaix
Sometimes we can, but sometimes we can't and need someone to help us make the changes that need to be made in order to be okay.
Anonymous
Yes you should if you try hard. Remember, only you can help yourself escape this in the end. Just smile more and be yourself :)