What are some everyday activities that I can do to help combat depression?

Monique Bivins, MA, LPC

I have a real passion for helping my clients to overcome life's obstacles . My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive, and interactive.

Anonymous
Tell yourself 10-20 positive things about yourself every morning when you wake up, eg "I am the best, I look amazing, I am smart, I am successful, etc..." Exercise regularly, get enough sleep, have proper meals
Chinchillin
You know those things you used to do when you were happy but just don't feel like doing right now? Do those things anyway! If they are things you enjoy, you will still enjoy them, even if it doesn't seem like it right now. The important thing is continually seek to put yourself in those good and positive situations. By doing that, you are giving yourself the opportunity and the permission to feel better, and eventually you'll find yourself coming around.
WarmSummer86
For me, I stick to simple things that I can do with little to no cost. Reading a book, watching a funny movie, going for a walk or bike ride, playing fetch with my dog, doing yard work, turning the music up loud and singing and dancing around the house, taking pictures, painting, drawing, colouring, doing crafts of some kind.
Anonymous
Do some hobbies you enjoy, exercise, take baths and do some things you enjoy. Hang out with your family and friends and distract yourself from the negative thoughts
Not everyone who deals with emotional challenges are going to be the same. One thing might not work for another. Only you are the best judge of you. The goal could be to find something you like and can help to re-direct your mind. Such as journaling, reading, volunteering, or any activity that is healthy and positive to your situation. Also finding support groups to talk with others who may be feeling the same can help. If one finds that their feelings are becoming to overwhelming, the best thing to do would be to seek the advice of a professional healthcare provider for further assistance such as counseling or therapy or whatever you decide together to get you though to a better and more positive place.
peacefulFlower94
Learn to be happy with yourself, find new hobbies, see the good in life. Outweigh the gold from the bad :)
SpencerT
Although it may feel like the last thing you want to do, exercise releases 'feel good' hormones called endorphins. If you can't face going for a jog, run up and down the stairs a few times. Chances are (apart from feeling tired) you'll feel invigorated, slightly at least. You could follow that with a soak in a warm bath which will relax your muscles. Play your favourite music that reminds you of happy times. If you have a favourite book or favourite genre, you can temporarily get lost in the power of of your imagination. Thinking positive doesn't come easily when fighting depression, but writing your thoughts and feelings down may help to in structuring your thoughts.
QuietAsAShadow
Jigsaw puzzles. I don't know what it is, but my mind really seems to clear when I am putting together a puzzle. I usually try to pair that with an audio book or a podcast and one of my favorite teas. It's a great activity to wind down in the evening after work.
MaxObie22
Walking, Socializing, Going out in general, Listening to music, Going out to breakfast, Hanging around animals, helping others and etc are all great ways to combat depression
Keythal
Taking bath's, cuddling with your pets, eating lots of ice cream or draw/write about how you feel. =)
Anonymous
Sports like Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Volleyball, you can also go hiking and see how great out world looks.
kaylienoelle
I would say physical activity!! Getting out and being active is said to be a great activity for anyone battling depression. Not only does it help you become healthy, but it is also distracting from the negativity in your life and makes you feel great!
Anonymous
Go to bed on time, get up out of bed on time in the morning. Have breakfast, take a shower. Go for a walk. The most important thing is to get your everyday structure back. People who are depressed most of the times don't have their daily structure. So they need to find it again.
tranquilFreedom
You can try taking a walk, watching a movie, reading a book, really anything that keeps your mind occupied.
Anonymous
August 3rd, 2015 4:07am
When I was depressed a few years ago I got a punching bag. So when I got angry or upset I went to my bag and just went crazy on the thing! It helped me get rid of some anger and gave me a good workout!!
SpaceLaces
Any form of exercise is good. Go for a bike ride or a walk, hit the gym, go for a swim anything like that should help. Also eating and sleeping right is very helpful.
ImLittleM
Depression is hard to combat, but by staying positive, staying active and healthy, and being outgoing and physically doing things will help depression.
warmsunshine23
For me writing really helps I mean a blank page is the only thing that I can trust with all I ft feelings and secrets
Anonymous
Some things that I like to do are just practice my hobbies, listen to good music, and just try to think about good things in my life.
Nithou
Invest some time in sport, even running or cycling for 15 minutes will help you clear your mind and put away the sadness / fear.
passionatepanda
Exercise. Exercise. Exercise. This releases endorphins, which in result can sometimes also increase dopamine and serotonin, which are chemicals involved with depression. This way, you release these chemicals naturally, instead of by self harming or other negative things. :)
Anonymous
Writing a list of our accomplishments, writing down our goals. Reading about someone who inspires us, listening to music without listening to the lyrics. Praise ourselves.
Mary777
Exercise is the best and also talking to others.
SunshineKiss202
Spending time with your parents or your family, Going out to the movies or to dinner with friends, Getting a social media page to make more friends or perhaps add more family members to talk too, Exercising helps a lot too, Making yourself get out of bed every morning and making yourself look nice [This helps a lot because it makes you feel good about yourself] or even taking long walks can give you time to clear your mind.
Anonymous
You can do things you enjoy! If you're in a sport or have a hobby do it often so you can distract yourself. Exercising helps, you can go on a walk, listen to music or simply talk to a friend to ease the pain!
Anonymous
Running or Jogging, they're a great exercise and they have a lot of health benefits. Besides, It really helps you to clear you mind.
graced
It's not necessarily something that you can "combat" so to say, but you can definitely help yourself wind down from it. :) I think it's best to try and stick to things that fulfill you. Freshening up is great. Like going to wash your face, getting a drink, taking a break every once in awhile. A good key with depression is to really take it easy on yourself and focus on self care.
WorkInProgress11
It can be hard to motivate yourself to do anything sometimes, but I've found that going for a short walk, making sure I eat, showering, and talking to at least one person (on the phone, online, via text, in person) helps. Also, my depression manifests in messiness, so I try to put at least one thing back in its place every day as well. I feel better in a cleaner environment
Anonymous
I have gone through depression myself also what helped me most was this specific strategy. Every morning when I woke up for school to get ready I had a mirror and a dry erase marker, every morning I would look in the mirror and write down a characteristic that I thought very little of myself, when I looked in the mirror and saw the word written down (ex:beautiful) made me feel better about how my day was going to go.
musicaltater20
Self-care is really important. Taking hot showers, singing, dancing, chilling, or doing your hair or things like that help bring your self-esteem up. Going outside and getting fresh air is also a good way to combat depression. Sunshine brings vitamin D to you, and that helps your mood. If there is not a lot of sun near you, vitamin D pills are available, and some places may have special lamps that enhance vitamin D.