What are some natural remedies for depression?

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

Aditi24
1. Acceptance of the ordeal 2. Reinforcing Positive Self Talk 3. Performing Relaxation Techniques 4. Building Social Contacts
Arun
sleep will help you to feel better , and shopping ,visiting good places ..photography.. having dinner outside will help you to feel good :)
Pam
I have found pets really help with depression. Drinking a cup of tea and doing things you enjoy can ease sad moments.
mcsquared
St. Joseph's Wort, Omega-3 Fish Oil, exercise (at least 25 minutes of brisk exercise a day), proper diet, normal sleeping habits.
HelpfulCow
Going outside, exercising (this will increase the level of dopamine in your blood, a hormon that makes you feel happy). This is almost a natural anti-depressiva.
OmShanti
There are both some physical and herbal things you can to naturally help Depression. On a physical level creating a routine will help you get up and moving around instead of staying in bed. Eating healthy and getting proper amount of sleep is also vital for helping depression. And on the herbal side St. John Warts has been shown to help improve depression.
Milah
In my personal experience, adequate sleep and sunlight in combination with some good quality supplements courtesy of my naturopath, including b-complex vitamins, omega 3's and 5HTP.
Anonymous
Some natural remedies for depression are to get adequate sleep, exercise, talk to friends and family about how you feel, and eating a balanced diet.
woundedhealer93
From a holistic standpoint, you could always try drinking herbal teas such as ginseng and chamomile that are known to have antidepressant effects. You could also take some St. John's Wort, which is a herbal remedy most commonly found in capsule form. You can usually purchase it at your local Walgreens, CVS, or even Wal-Mart. Non-herbal wise, getting out and exercising increases adrenaline in your system, which helps battle depressive episodes. Also surrounding yourself around loved ones (friends, family, or even pets!) could help brighten your outlook in life, as well.
Iamwithyou
there are many natural remedies to fight with depression go out meet with new people follow your hobbies
Anonymous
St. Johns wart is a good natural remedy for low mood. As well as exercise to release serotonin (happy chemical) in to the body.
wordsmith
I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL OF ANY SORT. That said, so far I've tried various things. Meditation and calming music have been helpful. I make herbal teas with a mix of chamomile st. John's wort (careful, does not mix well with various medication), lemon balm, passionflower and ashwagandha ,and sometimes mix maca into things I eat. I've also been experimenting with L-thymine and lactium, but can't attest to their effects yet. Kava roots gets me through bouts of anxiety, but do not take it for long periods of time and never with alcohol or medications hard on the liver.
CalmingBreeze16
One of the very best things you can do for Depression is any format of excercise. Brisk walking for 20 minutes twice a day can really make a difference. Also, resist the temptation to withdraw from people. Be active and look for ways to have fun and be active.
JoeCool
Some natural remedies include going outside and being active, starting conversations with new people, making a conscious effort to smile more often, and engaging in hobbies and activities you typically enjoy.
ahsitrapple
Getting a pet really helped me become less depressed. I also found that baking desserts helps me relieve stress, and that has also been able to keep me happy. :)
JessaMarrow
Lavender is often a very relaxing herb and can help with depression. I also find that chamomile helps.
Anonymous
Making some small changes to your lifestyle. For example, go to bed and get up at the same time every day. Take a walk for 10 min once a week. And talk to someone. Try to not to shut down and hide your feelings .
StormWilliams
Exercise, eating better, and sunlight are all natural depression fighters. getting outside and eating three times a day could make a world of difference.
javalent
What usually works for me are exercises (as it refreshes my mind), enough sleep and relaxation through music, and doing something new and interesting I've always wanted to try. Sometimes, what also works for me is just venting out my worries, fears, and problems to someone whom I know would not judge.
Anonymous
You are the best on you, and it will get better, i promise you. It gets easier, a lot easier. I´m here
Manpreet
Mostly we continue thinking about negative things happening to us. We do not see the positive energy around us. Even we take our presence negative.
SparklyCandyCane
I think that some natural remedies for depression is to stop being alone, get out more, be more social and interact with people. But the tricky part is who to interact with, i highly recommend you stay away from people that make you feel stressed or give you sad irritating thoughts. when i am sad, or upset about something i get in a group of people that are generally happy and positive. It boosts your mood up by a lot.
molarbear
While I do think that a lot of advice given on the internet and by others is feelgood nonsense that makes them feel better for trying to help without actually helping, I have found a couple things that help me when I go through depressive bouts. 1) Exercise. It's recommended on almost every list for a reason. Even if it's just going for a walk outside, get up and move for a bit. 2) Gratitude. It's a hard one, especially when everything is spiraling downwards and you don't want to think about it, but focusing on even one good thing can be enough to at least start turning things around. 3) Drink more water. Granted, this isn't going to solve all the issues, and may not even help at all but being dehydrated all the time is going to make you feel even more exhausted, and make it that much harder. There's plenty more advise to be had, but a lot of it varies on a person by person basis. When I start going down a bad path, I try to keep those three in mind, at the very least. Sure, it doesn't solve the overarching issue, but at least gives a little bit of help.
Anonymous
Exercise! Also, set goals for yourself. People often make the mistake of thinking that ambition is needed in order to have goals, but the truth is just the opposite: you need goals in order to have ambition. With that ambition comes a sense of purpose, which is a great natural remedy for depression.
Transcendence
While it might not be a remedy exercising does wonders when you are depressed. When you are using your body you release endorfins, which give you a sense of comfort. An added bonus is that you temporarily distracted.
Anonymous
There are some awesome motivational speeches on youtube that you can search up :) anything from uplifting music to uplifting readings would be beneficial
Annalia
It really depends upon the person but for a lot of people exercise helps, it also helps to have a routine as well as making sure you get enough sleep and are eating well.
Anonymous
Laughter therapy is great. Find something that makes you truly smile and laugh and go with it. It helps a lot.
Anonymous
EXERCISE! It releases the Serotonin in the brain which is the 'Happy Hormone'. Activities as small as going for a walk or throwing a ball can make even the tiniest improvement in mood.
AEarToHear
May 3rd, 2015 5:33am
A natural remedy for depression is walking, climbing, swimming , camping, most outdoor activities are good for releasing energy and re gaining balance.