What are some steps that can be taken to help people with depression?

Brenda King, PsyD

I treat life changes, women’s issues, and issues of aging using evidence-based treatments with healthy doses of warmth, empathy and humor to enhance healing and growth.

Anonymous
being social more with people, talking with any listeners, thinking positive thoughts, walking outside... these really help people to cope with depression...
bubblyunicorn
1- we should encourage positive activities. 2-treat the person with respect and kindness. 3-be supportive and understanding. 4-ensure proper help is being given.
Anonymous
February 21st, 2017 10:19pm
Understanding depression before you help somebody can be really useful, so that you know some of what they may be going through. Just offering to be there for somebody can be really huge; knowing that they have a support network helps immensely. Sometimes, they won't be sure that anybody loves or cares for them, so reassuring them that you're there makes that easier. If they've self harmed or have suicidal thoughts, staying really calm is key. Those are some of the things I've got, I hope this helps
crispapple71
One recent idea that I came across in my reading was that if we encourage a person to write down three things they did well each day, and what they did to achieve that result, then over the space of a few months mood improves and so does self-esteem.
shiningWinter54
Let them know that you are there and wont judge. That you can understand. and are NOT a burden to you. Very important. it will take constant reminders. Help them open up to talk to you. let them know you care and it pains you to see them hurting and you want to help. do not push them too hard, this can scare them and they will recoil. Do not tell them what they SHOULD do or feel. don't try to give advice right away. just let them talk to you
Nubbin
If I were in your shoes I would consider talking to a therapist, I can refer you to one of ours if you don't have one. I would also try taking a walk, reading a book, talking to a friend, or even watching a movie, something to stimulate you so your not just thinking about how bad you might feel. But I really would consider talking to a therapist, they would have more ideas to give out and they would be able to help you if you need medications or just different coping skills. Sometimes just talking to someone who will just listen is the best thing to help.