What are some ways to cope with sad thoughts and/or feelings?

Sarah Spiro, LCSW

I look forward to creating a partnership with you and being by your side through this time in your life.

PoeticWhisperer13
I cry, it may seem awful at the time but afterwards I feel so much better. Just letting out all the emotions I have been holding on to for a while.
freshLove97
Often it goes down to just distracting yourself from these feelings. If you get into an activity that brings you joy, those feelings won't dominate your mind.
Anonymous
Tell yourself it's okay, and that it's going to be okay. Express it, write it down, sing and talk it out, draw it up
thereishope6097
I like listening to music that matches with my mood. So if I'm sad, I may listen to songs that have sadness to them, with glimmers of hope amidst their lyrics.
Anonymous
Keep yourself busy. Do your university work that makes you heal faster and divert your mind into games - at least you are doing something everyday instead of being in sad thoughts and having sad feelings ...just make a worry tree write down things that makes you worry or sad or whatever you feel write it everyday ...get your thoughts down on a piece paper ..no need to come back but it is a therapy ....and it helps a lot....for me it does...thats why i have a note book to write down my feelings..
Anonymous
I try to remind myself that the feeling is temporary. As useless as that seems, I always feel better in the morning and I try to hold onto that idea.
rainyMusic82
One way that I cope with my sad feelings is to just let myself feel them - I turn on music from my favorite band, and listen to three songs about heartbreak. I tell myself that it's okay to cry, and make sure I am in a dark and peaceful environment where that is possible. After those three songs, I listen to three ones with uplifting or empowering lyrics, and breathe in sync to the beat to calm my heart. Once that is over, I slowly begin to turn on the lights and put cooling towels on my face. In a pinch, though, I always scroll through joke Instagram accounts or look at dog photos (jiffpom is my fave this month!) or watch a Youtube supercut of goat songs or clips of jokes from a loved TV show.
Anonymous
Everyone copes with these things in their own way, some ways I used to cope was by writing, reading, and listening to music. Sports and exercise may also help, along with drawing and talking about your feelings regularly with someone? :)
alfonsojon1997
Very generic: think happy thoughts. When I'm sad, I think about times that were happier for me. When my dog died, I thought about how fun she was when she was around, rather than how she was gone. There's also confiding in others - friends and/or family that you're comfortable with talking to about your feelings are a blessing. If you have someone you can confide in, it's always helpful to have someone there.
Dreamz
Some ways I tend to cope with sad thoughts are watching funny videos. I have often realized that smiling or laughing always changes my mood. So if you can find something that will help you smile or laugh, it may change your thoughts.
nicole273
One thing that many people suggest is exercise. This is because it is said to release endorphins and other chemicals which help to fight sadness!
positiveTurtle36
Get up and do something, which could be as simple as walking outdoor for at least 30 minutes per day.
Anonymous
To take your mind off it and do something you enjoy doing like going out with friends/family. Or talking to someone about them.
SaturdaysChild
If I am sad I usually try to preoccupy myself with activity that requires a lot of attention. Studying, exercising etc. Whatever floats your boat.
MrAleczander
I'm sorry you're feeling so down. Have you looked into 7 Cup's Self-Learning modules on Depression and Managing Emotions? I've personally found them very helpful.
DancingAlong
Keep a gratitude journal when you are feeling good, and refer to it when you are feeling sad. Looking back on what you've written during the positive times will help.
AgentOink
Sometimes the best way to cope with our sad thoughts and/or feelings are to firstly understand them. We often don't realize it but the reason we feel down is because we can't grasp why we are sad or upset. Talking about these feelings with someone you trust can always help, or if you would rather, expressing them in a drawing or a story. Whatever helps you the most. Try things.
OriginalEmbrace17
Talking to friends. They help you feel less lonely, Going for a run will help sometimes too. It keeps your mind clear.
punkrockamie
Ways to cope can include: journaling, processing with a therapist, talking with a friend, listening to music, mindfulness practices, support groups, and/or self-care practices.
MissDeeds86
When I'm having sad thoughts I feel like hiding away under my blankets. Sometimes it's good to act in the opposite way to that feeling. I act the opposite by getting up going outside for a walk, even if it's just in the back garden. Connecting with the beauty of nature can really transform how you're feeling in that moment. I like to watch the birds flying around, it makes me feel calmer and less sad.
Anonymous
Talking it out to someone you trust can help a lot! Being able to vent out your feelings and letting them go out is really therapeutic for many people. Finding hobbies you enjoy such as playing/creating music, reading etc. Also, take a walk outside of your home and being immersed with the natural environment can often help your head clear up. Good luck :)
cheerleaderwithagoal
Sometimes just breathing, crying and letting it all out is the best thing you can do. I think it's a great way to stop those feelings from building up to uncontrollable levels. After that I like to go for a run or bike ride or do an activity I enjoy.
Neversaynever613
Do something that makes you happy and understand why you are sad. With each reason has a different way to cure it.
Anonymous
Writing them down! This helps you getting a clearer mind, free form negative thoughts. Or if you prefer, distracting yourself with physical activity such as working out, jogging, swimming etc. Physical activity releases the happiness hormone called dopamine!
Anonymous
Hang out with friends, listen to music you love and dance to it, try to thinking something positive
anonymousVeronika97
Write them down and be authentic about them as much as you can. Be aware of the fact they're there, embrace them and understand where they came from.