What do you do when you have no passion or drive?

Terrence Sawyer, MS Counseling Psychology

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Social disorders counseling social psychology, substance use disorder counsel

Anonymous
Try to find one passion or drive by attempting different activities in life. So that you will find one that truly interest you
Bri22
Focus on why you have survived this long, and don't let anything else stand in your way. Know that you are in perfect form for what lies ahead, and are only made stronger and better for having endured today. Use your feelings of flatness, let them inspire your mind, even if your emotions and heart are not behind you. If you force yourself think proactively and productively, soon you will be where your actions will follow.
Anonymous
I put on music to help motivate me or I try to be around people who will try to help me in every aspect that they can
Anonymous
When you lose passion or drive for something, try to remember why you got into it in the first place, and why it may be better for you to continue. If it gets really bad however, find something that might intrest you more and stick with it.
intelligentTruth42
Passion and drive sometime take a hit when the list of things I should be doing is getting very long, or the one task ahead of me seems like it is too big to ever complete.... At those times, it's helpful to break apart an activity into smaller steps, and just get started on one step. Complete that step, enjoy the feeling of accomplishment, and then get started on the next small step. The small steps can even be on different days, but the small step that is doable in one day lets you feel like "Today, I made progress toward my ultimate goal...and that is enough to feel good about."
CoreFeelings
You keep putting one foot in front of the other and think about the good things you have in life. Exploring new activities and hobbies is also a good way, find something that you can become passionate or driven about and turn that into a force to charge up your life again~
jessica99
December 2nd, 2016 1:16am
I usually find myself releasing stress and frustration in my art journal. It helps me to scribble and scribe to my heart's content, and i usually end up feeling more motivated.
friendlyPerspective32
Do you think you may just be burnt out? If you have been pushing yourself too hard in your profession/work, it would likely help to take a break and relax from the everyday pressures that you face. Sometimes, we just need to give ourselves the small break that we deserve.. By break, I don't mean that you should completely drop your responsibilities, your job, or your schoolwork for a long period of time, but being easier on yourself will help to relieve some of the pressure that is leading you to experience burnout. You cannot be perfect one hundred percent of the time; you're only human! If you are not experiencing any sort of burnout, then it could just be that you have not yet found the thing that motivates you and that's completely normal, too! It takes time for us to discover the one thing that makes us tick. Perhaps, it would help to check out new hobbies or organizations that may be of any interest to you and that you have not yet considered. Also, setting new goals can really help you to get out of a rut. For example, I have been a competitive runner for a few year now. After going through a period where I was not completely enjoying running as much (which happens more often than not), I decided to sign up for a marathon which let's just say was completely outside of my comfort zone. Rather than being fazed by the daunting goal that I had set out for myself, I felt much more motivated to tackle this opportunity. It was quite a different experience, and one that I very much needed personally. Perhaps you could benefit from doing something similar, whether in your current profession, university, or a hobby that you were once serious about.
Stripeymusicalenglishgirl
Remember why you started. Set yourself small, manageable goals, maybe give yourself incentives or get a friend to help motivate you. Make sure you are taking care of your wellbeing by drinking enough water, eating a healthy balanced diet, exercise regularly, take time out for yourself to boost your mood :)
Anonymous
Evaluate what your personal interests are and go by that. That will help you learn more about yourself and what truly interests you in a passionate kind of way or drives you to the success that you desire.
7thguyfromearth
Ask yourself if you have an objective or a goal. Sometimes, if you have no drive or passion or motivation to do something, that probably means that you don't have something to be passionate or motivated for. Ask yourself: "What's my purpose?"
avanef
We all have our low moments, no motivation and just nothing to want to do. Those are normal and they can vary depending on the person and really whatever is going on in their life. Things will get better, you're just at a platuo of things right now. But this can help you work on yourself more. Take care of your body, start eating healthier, clean your face more frequent, workout. This all might boost you and give you things to be motivated all over again.
Anonymous
I, personally try and think of ways to re organise myself and do things I really love! It can really help and be a boost!
ProfessionalFriend
What I've learned from experience the best thing to do is to try out new things. New experiences, meeting new people, trying out new things, new music, new food, new clothes, anything. Without any fear :)
Tappingtoes123
Don't allow yourself to tear yourself down. Remember that you're going through a journey there will always be ups and downs
AutumnLeigh
March 2nd, 2017 10:22pm
Consider that you may be depressed. See a doctor to find out if your systems are a chemical reaction in your brain. You could also chat with supportive people and discover new things that might bring back a passion for something.
upholsteredchair
When I have no passion or drive I take some time for myself. I tell myself to stop. I don't set a time limit for when I need to get back on track. I sit on my bed and put on my favorite hoodie and wrap myself in a blanket. I listen to terrible pop music and eat cookies. I try and drink a lot of water. Then I think about why I feel motivation-less. I think about it calmly. If I reach a point where I feel motivation, I start doing whatever I have to do, right there, just like that. It's a quick fix but it's helped me a lot before.
Anonymous
Life can be very difficult with no motivation, but the best solution is to keep looking through your options, and eventually you will find something or someone that inspires you. Try to change things up, and look at the world from a different perspective.
HappyToHelp1869
Read books. Read works of people who will be sure to inspire you to do something. Find your hidden talents, everyone has at least one. Get on to 7 Cups to enhance your positive thinking.
BeamDiamond
I usually just let myself be but now knowing I don't want to be passionless, I look for ways to get to where I need and want to be. You do your best to find what you want out of life and go get it. Even when you are improving a little. Just take away the things that don't work in your life and go for what works for you. Do some research.
IcarusFalls
Sometimes you just need to take a day entirely for yourself. You could go out with friends, stay in and binge-watch a television show or two and eat popcorn by the handful, do something you would usually enjoy. Everyone feels that way sometimes. But it's important to recognise that not wanting to get out of bed in the mornings or just not feeling like doing anything can be a sign of something more serious. If this feeling lasts for two weeks or longer and other signs are also visible, it can mean that you have Depression, although I'm not an expert in it. Talking to someone about how you feel can help, and the people on 7 cups are here to do that if you don't want to talk to someone you know about it. I hope this helps.
Anonymous
When you have no passion or drive doing just about anything can seem extremely challenging. This will probably sound difficult, but honestly taking time out of every day to check in with yourself and become in tune with your own feelings can help you figure out what is causing your lack of passion and drive. Once you know what the underlying issue is you can figure out how to solve it, or get help from others.
GuideforLight
Just consider what I have in my hand. And enjoy it in the moment. I think it is not a bad thing that you have a free-spare time, those times are actually a gift to recognize what you have.
theinvisibleinspirations
I find that one thing that I am best at and do it. I tell myself that there are many people who have life harfer than I have. I think positively about myself and remind myself​ of things that I'm proud of doing.
DanDan1991
The problem with passion and drive is that they are fickle and fleeting. They come sporadically and often you will have long lapses in them. The key isn't waiting for those things, but getting up and doing things anyway. I'm a musician so passion and drive are important in writing, but more important is consistent work. Take time 15-30 mins a day, everyday, to do the task you are lacking the passion for. You'll find that it will just become habit rather than something you need that kind of passion or drive to have to be motivated to do!!
Anonymous
From my personal experience, the answer can be one of two things. One, your depression is the cause of this. On of the side effects/symptoms of depression is the lack of actually doing something. You don't wanna go outside. You stop doing the things you love because you may feel hopeless or like there's no point anyways (if you feel like this it doesn't necessarily mean you have depression, this is just my experience) or Two, you've just lost interest in a bunch of things and you aren't trying out anything new or something you like. You might not have any drive or passion because you aren't that dedicated or interested in the stuff you see everyday or the things you do. This isn't your fault, you just need to open up to more things.
Anonymous
When I feel I have no passion or drive I will find sonething/ someone who makes me happy and spend time doing that
Laurensheart
When I have no passion or drive, I like to either listen to music, watch a film, go for a run or sing karaoke on YouTube to raise my spirits.
Anonymous
If it's a case of burnout, then indulging in hobbies that genuinely re-energize you would be incredibly helpful. But if you are yet to find what you're passionate about, then you've got a ton of exploring/introspecting to do. Good luck !
Anonymous
Find somebody you trust(family member, friend) to give you an extra push when you need it. When you can't get out of bed, you need somebody next to you to remind you of your worth, and strike compassion within you.