What do you do when you have no passion or drive?

Terrence Sawyer, MS Counseling Psychology

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Social disorders counseling social psychology, substance use disorder counsel

softSugar91
When I have no passion or drive, I tend to try to motivate myself with things that I like, for example, when in school, I try to tell myself that once I get back home, I'll be able to do what I like.
Anonymous
Go and do something you love, baking, sleeping, whatever it happens to be. Just relax for a day and kick but again the next day. Don't force yourself to anything when you have no passion. To do something without passion is like doing nothing at all.
tjb28
This is a difficult question to answer . You need something positve to focus on or look forward. Do something you enjoy , that makes you smile you may then become passionate about it
SoulHealing
This can be due to several reasons. One very common is the hormonal changes during menopause. Also stress, depression, certain medicines. We can seek professional advice or just let it be. But this is something that both partners must work together. Love and care are the best medicines
Anonymous
Just keep going and keep searching. An old lady told me she found her drive when she was 60. She add that it was necessary to live all the previous chapters of her life to discover it. That made me think maybe there's no need to worry about finding it as soon as possible but live the process and be always opened to learn and improve to get closer.
Anonymous
I read the word and pray so much and then take a very long nap. On other days I look at all the work I have done before just to give me a boost.
SarahTheCarer
This could be due to several reasons. The first step is to realise you have lost your passion or drive, which it sounds like you have. The next step is to seek help - which takes a lot of courage to do and you have done that so well done! Next I would try and figure why you have lost your passion or drive. If you want to discuss how you are feeling and talk through your situation, our friendly active listeners will be willing to have a chat with you!
Anonymous
I try and focus on talking to people on 7cups. It helps me see there are people in far worse situations than myself and by listening to them, it gives me the motivation (aka 'drive') that i need.
Laurenathalasa
I walk. I put on some kind of thought provoking or just awesome piece of music, and immerse myself in walking. Sometimes I take a camera, or a notepad and pen, but sometimes it's best to let your mind wander. There's this saying, that 'bored is good' it means that when you're bored, and you let your mind wander, that's when you figure out what you really want to do.
GardenSun87
When I have no passion or drive, and that is often, firstly I check am I simply tired or sleepy, or under some stress. In other cases I remind myself what are my goals, values, my good sides, and how can I be useful. Also, I remind myself of things I like to do, hobbies, plans to learn something new or improve old knowledge and skill. It mostly helps.
NotAGod
November 22nd, 2017 2:22am
We're human beings. I like to say that I'm not allergic to anything but maybe I haven't explored/seen/touched something I am allergic to. The world is vast. Find it. Make "finding passion/drive" your passion/drive
emilyb1999
when i have no passion or drive i remember one of the reasons i have continued with my path of recovery and that is because im worth it and because i can see a better day coming
Anonymous
Whenever I feel like I have no passion or drive to move forward, I try to remember all I've managed to accomplish in my life so far. Little or big achievements, it doesn't matter. If I've done it before, I know I can do it again.
Anonymous
I start to think a lot. Of the things in life and what am I doing with it. Am I what I have dreamt to be when I was young?
MindPalace93
I usually try to give myself some time off since that is often caused by overload. Then I try something new. I just start even if I don't feel like it and in time I tend to feel better.
circledFlight
I try to keep my expectations in check. There are ups and downs in this journey, and just because today is particularly bad, I won't let it spoil tomorrow. It gets better.
neptne
January 3rd, 2018 2:10am
Instead of forcing yourself to work on something you're lacking passion or drive for, take a break. Do something you'll always love, spend time with loved ones, eat a yummy snack, distract yourself!
Anonymous
Invest time in recording your talents, hobbies, skills etc. Then track how many of them have you used so far to achieve something in life. You will find your next goal in life.
Anonymous
When I don’t have passion or drive, I take time to myself to do self care and reflect. I set mini obtainable goals and then try my best to surround my self with positive people who make me feel like I have a purpose.
Anonymous
get involved with people who are passionate, let them tell you what, how, or why they do what they do
Anonymous
Look for that thing that drives you. Oftentimes, we are just fixated on the wrong thing, and it blinds us from what we are truly passionate about. At times the fixation also stems from allowing people to define what we should be doing.
PosiPotato
Baby steps. Find something small that you can succeed it. Today might be getting out of bed, tomorrow might be going for a walk.
RandomSpin
When I have no passion or drive, I force myself to walk around for at least 5 minutes. I then try to think of a warm sunrise. Finally, I do the dishes, or anything I know I'm capable of doing.
Anonymous
Find a purpose. Find a hobby. Anything to reignite that passion. There are plenty of people who need help or pepel who Ould benefit from a service you could provide.
peacefulKiwi
Turning on a good playlist and writing a list with things that need to be done and things that are somehow rewarding, like having a cup of coffee. Then, I start with whatever feels most manageable. Once I started and checked something off the list the next thing doesn't seem so bad.
KingAaron84
February 23rd, 2018 9:14pm
Find something that excited you and make it your passion. Living and enjoying life should be your driving force daily.
Anonymous
When you don't have the passion or drive for certain activities that you have already tried, find if that activity is worth going back to and if you prefer going back and trying again to find that passion or drive if it didn't, you can always try something new.
MeganWilderr
Look for new thing to indulge yourself in. Something that makes you want to get up every morning
Anonymous
Honestly, listening to music helps me a lot. It gives me a chance to block out the world around me, and get back on track.
lovelyPalm93
I was once told to always make my bed in the morning, not because its messy if I don't but because it is the first achievement of the day, it starts the day off on a win so that if the rest of the day accomplishes nothing then at least you know you've done that and you can go to bed to a made bed which is always nice. The other reason for making your bed in the morning is that it sets you up for success, you leave for work/school knowing that, already, you have done something useful and it's for you, to make you feel better, you can feel proud that you got out of bed and instead of shuffling out of the bedroom you actually took the time to do something. Keep going :)