What do you do when you have no passion or drive?

Lisa Meighan, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Wolfgank
October 22nd, 2020 9:09am
Almost every person on this planet has the capacity to be passionate and to have a drive, it is true that people have difficulties finding them and finding what is fitting for us as there is so much in life right now. In my opinion, you must find that passion and goal to strive for, without it, you will either be depressed or you will have to learn to enjoy life without any attachments or connections or drive, but simply look at life without labels which is not easy to do, as we humans tend to get influenced by the outside quite a lot.
beautifulFlower8404
First I back off a bit and ask myself "Could I be burned out?" Then I force myself to take a Break. I do self care activities, Like eating well and exercising. I make sure I get enough rest. I might take a walk to get out in nature or spend some time with my Horses and other animals. I might journal, take a shower and even do some cleaning and organizing of my living quarters (But only if I am up to it) I try not to push myself and stress myself out. I keep in touch with my Therapist and friends then if all else fails, I call my Doctor as my Meds may need to be adjusted.
mikeveee
If you have no passion or no drive then at least try to discern what actions are "beneficial" for you. Find a way to accomplish these actions and use strict discipline to hold yourself to these tasks. This is only a temporary measure, you don't want to live on pure discipline alone. As you're accomplishing what you need to do, take a moment afterwards to reflect on the positive feelings of accomplishment. Note how you are capable of taking care of your business. This confidence in yourself will help you build back your self esteem.
glowingpeace18339
When you have no passion or drive, it's easy to no longer care about commitments and lose interest in things that are important. If it's possible, have someone who can hold you to commitments! It can be a family member, or a friend, or someone on here! Someone who can encourage you to keep working towards your goals, even when you don't have the drive to do it yourself. Especially when it comes to self-care: having someone to remind you to eat, drink water, get some rest, and exercise can help so much. When you have help doing the bare minimum, it can help you get to a state of mind where you're able to drive yourself.
sumairu777
Firstly, I want to tell you that it’s okay not to have drive or passion yet. It’s not always something you wake up to thinking ‘oh this is what I want to do!’, nor is it something you can just grab a whole of out of nowhere. I’d like to say it’s a little bit more cultivated. Sometimes, we might not know what exactly we want to do or what we feel about certain things and that’s completely okay. It takes a lot of time, a lot of self-awareness to know. For instance, I was having so much trouble deciding on a career pathway. I felt so inferior to everyone around me because they all seemed to know what they want to do and how they are going to do it. Everyday I sat there, looking through so many online blogs to somehow ring a bell on me and tell me that’s what I want to do. Did that help? To a extent, yes. What actually helped me decide was when I actually stopped thinking and asking myself what i want to do and instead observed myself (and that’s really important, try not to force yourself) chose to do things. I’m not sure if that made a lot of sense but let me give you an example. Let’s say I was cruising around the internet looking for people’s opinions on profitable careers that support your life long wellbeing. Instead, I switch to actually looking up volunteering opportunities that would allow me to feel, react and co-ordinate with actual situations. With so much exposure I come to notice so many things I avoided doing and for the things I did try, I knew to what extent i enjoyed being part of it. All that without my intention of actually looking for a reason to feel motivated or passionate about something. I just really enjoyed it and that’s when you know that’s the right thing for you. The reason I talked about that was because finding your drive, motive or passion is something you slowly build up. Sometimes, your passion is a person, maybe your motivation is to see an elderly smile warmly at you or perhaps your drive was to one day see the world with your own eyes. It could be little very little things. It’s definitely there and it’ll take you to places. You wouldn’t know that yet. And you don’t need to. So don’t worrying about finding your passion or in your case, concluding that you don’t have one yet because there’s so much in the world left to be explored. Best of wishes and I hope you find what you’re looking for!
Clara139175
Losing motivation is so difficult. Personally, it leaves me in a big rut and as someone who is involved in so many different things, I can't afford to be in a rut. I will admit some days it is easier to talk myself into doing my work by simply remembering that I can't always be motivated but I can always be disciplined. To me this means that yes I may not be motivated 24/7 but I can at least do my best to work toward my goal. Even if my best that day isn't what it is other days. I realize that this may not always apply though. In days where it feels impossible to make myself do anything, I do two things: 1. I run through a checklist. Have I eaten? What about water? Have I been outside for some fresh air? If I answer no to any of these, I make it my first goal to do it. 2. What is the minimum I can do today? I try to live by no zero days but I also advise never pushing yourself. It's no longer your best at that point. I hope any of this helps and I wish you all the best
Anonymous
I feel the same way where I had no idea of what I wanted to do with my life since none of the careers I knew interested me. I felt as though I had no passions or interests that made me excited about pursuing them and going further with those interests. I think rather than saying that you have no passions, maybe you have no passions yet! There are so many different activities and interesting things in the world, try to learn more about different things you can do and try to talk to other passionate people to see how they found their passion. Finding passions come easy for some, but it is a challenge for the rest of us, keep looking and you will find it!
SamIam143
When I feel I have no passion or drive currently in life, I see out new things to try and experience that I have previously dismissed. Setting aside my previous expectations of how something might be and deciding to give it a fair chance to experience it. Sometimes my pre conceptions on how I thought something would be set me back from finding things I really actually enjoyed and liked. I used to dislike the idea of exercising in a gym, preferring to do any exercise at home. Being around others and thinking I would be judged for my performance gave me anxious feelings. However I found that was not the case and everyone is there just trying to better themselves and not focused on the people around them.
YourNeighbourhoodsuperhero
What I do when I have a lack of passion or drive is remind my self of why I do what I do, or rest and trusting my self that I am fine and I do have drive and passion but I am just tired in the moment.
Anonymous
December 23rd, 2020 7:31am
Try to take a break and be kind to myself. It's unrealistic for me to expect that of myself 24/7: feeling passionate and driven. It's a part of the journey of life. How will we grown and learn if we don't know what it's not like to feel that way. I have various interests and I try to engage with one of them no matter how tough it feels. However, some days it's too tough so I have to let go on those days and let myself be. Self care is essential in those moments. I always get myself back up eventually.
Anonymous
Take a "you" day. Sometimes when our passion and drive is gone its because we have neglected ourselves. You have nothing left to give if you don't take care of you. Fill your cup again. Do something you love to do. Do the things that spark joy. Do the things that make you remember why you were doing it to begin with. But sometimes when we feel burnt out or have no drive we have to step away from the thing all together. Maybe that thing wasn't what you were supposed to be doing this whole time and you need to change directions.
Anonymous
There are definitely some days where i just want to stay in my bed and not do anything. But during those times I starts thinking I can act upon my laziness or lack of enthusiasm for the day because I have the option to do so. Even though everyone feelings are valid when I think from other people perspective I find a different approach to life. Some times these people are imaginary. That's one way I motivate myself when I want a small push or when I feel so drawn out. Sometimes I do spend a lazy day but I make sure that it is not something I want to keep doing and I am not doing. We ourselves haven't find a reason to keep us motivated
comfortablePoetry863
January 3rd, 2021 2:31am
It is often very difficult to find your passion! I also feel this way at times, but that is why you should explore options. Join a club, volunteer for an organization, learn something new, try a new hobby, travel, and spend time for yourself. For example, several websites can help you learn new things about several types of interests. Everyone can make a positive impact in this world so you should keep exploring how. Having some sort of passion is important in not only finding a career but finding the simple joy in life. Find inspiration from others and start observing things that you like to do.
Anonymous
I try to remind myself of the goals I want to achieve. I have a dream and for it to become real I know I have to work. As long as there are dreams there is a hope of reaching them. Wherever I get too stressed, I like to read. It gives you a different place to be for how ever long you wish. No matter how small the step might be, every step forward is a step closer to where I want to be. For me it's also important to remind myself, that my decisions don't have to make sense to others. I'm doing it for me, because it's my life everybody else has their own.
Anonymous
I try to ground myself. Take a couple deep breath. Look at my health if I’m eating properly getting enough sleep, Have I respected my body. Is there a reason why I have no passion or drive. Look deep into that and then look deeper into myself. By looking deeper into yourself you usually can find the answer if you know how to do it. then I just give myself a big hug because life’s hard.. We all should take a step back and remember let it be. You are doing the best that you can with the information you have at this moment.
walkalot
There are several things I might do. I might call a family member and talk--or maybe a friend, if I felt like it wasn't appropriate for family. Or I might take a walk if I feel stressed, as that would clear my mind and allow room for new thoughts. Or I might make a cup of coffee, which improves my mood and also gives me time for thinking. I also think about my wife and daughter, who always give me motivation for being my best self. I love to spend time with my daughter, who is two, as she is very innocent and hasn't been corrupted by the evil influences in society yet.
Lululilypad1023
I consider how much time I have to get to do all the things I want in life. Because the truth is, life is short, and our dreams and goals don't have time for having no motivation to do anything. I consider all the goals I want to accomplish, and how the future me is gonna look back and thank me for pushing through so that she could accomplish her dreams. Plus, a teacher of mine once said "90% of the work is just getting started." I know that I just have to push through the beginning and then everything will get better. It always does, no matter how bad things have to get first. It's all a matter of pushing through the darkness to see the light. You just have to get started.
Anonymous
March 3rd, 2021 6:27am
Sometimes all you have is the small push to get through the daily grind. During those times, remember why you're doing it. Why did you pick that job? Who is the person you're texting, and why bother? What's the smell of your dish soap or the flower on the side of the road? Try to breathe and remember it won't wags be this way. You have the ability to survive the days that seem meaningless and there will be days on the other end that mean more to you. Likely this is a chemical imbalance and not your true self; do you need to reach out for help, or just endure until things improve?
calmingBubbles7513
I am currently a university student, and due to the pandemic, I have often lost my passion and motivation for my course. What gets me through is the excitement of earning a degree at the end, and working my way up in my career goals. Reminding yourself of why you are doing something can spark that passion all over again! If I am having a day where I just have no motivation at all, I will set myself regular breaks to recharge, and plan activities that I enjoy doing, so I have something to look forward to once I have been productive. What has been working for me recently is sticking on some headphones and playing some music really loud to lift my mood!