What does depression feel like?

What does depression feel like?
★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
depression is when you don’t really care about anything, anxiety is when you care too much about everything and having both is just like what
kindBubbles59
To be anxious or nervous about something Is to anticipate something happening or to worry about the end of a thing with anticipation
Anonymous
It feels like a hole in the pit of your chest. Like you know that you could be rid of it, but can't.
Anonymous
They both feel like a trap..you feel the pain in your chest and throat at times,you get disturbing thoughts,you feel like doing crazy things(any kinds of addictions or addictive behaviour) to get out of that trap..your own feelings and body become a very painful thing..your own thoughts rise against you.
Anonymous
It's very difficult. Depression and anxiety are hard disorders to overcome. Some people treat it with counseling or medications, some overcome it themselves or with a little help from their friends and family.
Anonymous
I personally have depression and anxiety and both feel troublesome because you may feel anxious about situation and maybe you feel that way sometimes for no reason too
Anonymous
Anxiety - Like there's so much going on in one's brain, it's going to explode. Constantly nervous and it drives one nuts. Depression - Feel the same thing with the brain. Feel like crying and crying and crying.
Anonymous
If I can rattle your cage getting you emotional, it means you're still in one and that's the cage I'm trying to help you escape from....takes a ruthless unconditional love position to do that.
NodOfApproval
Everyone has an inner voice that only themselves can hear. Like our bodies, sometimes our inner voices can get sick too. Having anxiety is like having the voice within your head be under the weather; it's not quite acting as it should. It's telling you things that you don't want to hear, filling your head with irrational fears and worries. Even making a phone call is daunting thanks to your unhealthy inner voice; it tells you you're going to mess up or that you'll be bothering the other person. Your mind goes into constant over-drive thinking of all the bad things that could go wrong. It's very much a self-defeating type of illness and one of the hardest to cure.
Skylertherealisticbutterfly
You might be nervous around her because you don't want to displease but instead, impress her.
Anonymous
It's like this weight that no matter how hard you try, you can't seem to shake off. It feels illogical and causes internal anger. Because things that seem so easy to other people seem nearly impossible to you. Everyday is exhausting.
Anonymous
It is feels like your world is crashing down and you feel that life is useless and that leads to suicidal behavior...... It feels like lava is poured on you
Alice2907
To have depression is hard as you feel down and very alone as most people around you don't understand how you are feeling and don't know what to do around you. With anxiety as well you feel on edge and frightened all the time which can be worsened when you're having a bad day. Which can make you feel consumed by negative emotions
Anonymous
Having depression and anxiety is like being in a dark room, afraid to open the door because of uncertainty on the other side .
heartsNcupcakes
It like being in a vicious circle of dread, hopelessness, and a constant fear thats not so easy to pull yourself out of. Its certainly possible though, it just takes patience, a little help, and one step after another of breaking that cycle.
Xolovegem
For me it's like I can't breathe. I know what I want but I can't do it. I wanna do things but I end up just staring at my phone not doing anything. My mind is my worst enemy because it's telling me about how everything can go wrong and not how it can right. I can't see any positives. Physically I have a constant strain on my stomach, it's all I can focus on and it's like a small pit of worry and sadness all in one and it doesn't go away. There is very little that can make the feeling go away.
Anonymous
It's like being weighed down by an anchor at the bottom of the ocean and watching the last bubbles in your lungs slowly rise to the surface, knowing you're out of air, but yet also not realizing you are the one holding the anchor.
comfortableRose28
January 3rd, 2016 4:46am
Oh yes, I'd know that ! I have had arguable the severest most potent depression ever. It's like the light inside of you is there no more.. everything seems meaningless. A strange apathy engulfs you and you're too numb to even shed a tear.. you simply visualise the worst in everythung, again & again... and that manifests !! I have spent 5 years... on & off in depression. When you arent alone and you cant give expression to your depression inside, that is when anxiety strikes.. the strange fear like sensation in your heart.. for the littlest of things.. the unending what ifs.. sometimes the feelings happened even when i had no where to go. Nothing to anticipate.. i was scared for nothing. Dont be disheartened though.. if you're anything like me, you'll feel the anger soon.. the burning anger that will in the beginning be "Why me?" And might gradually go to "To hell with this.." then you burn most of the major reasons of your depression with a out and out raging conflit with your culprits.. it subsides. You feel better.. then you slowly realise none of this matters.. you might as well be happy anyway. Nobody cares. You begin to do things for your joy , you're hella rude & snarky for a while.. but that's ok. You thus get out of it and are now in a better place. :)
Anonymous
Depression and anxiety can feel overwhelming and like you are being strangled from the inside it. You may find you're sleeping alot and avoiding going out.
Anonymous
Depression is like having the life drained out of me, stripping me of myself until I am a hollow shell, not myself but only this thinnest appearance of myself, then filling me with heavy shadows until I feel weighted down, crushed. Everything becomes too much effort - talking, moving, thinking, living, breathing. There is only this feeling of being crushed under an invisible mountain, the pain of the weight, the panicked feeling of not being able to breathe, the inability to move to reach out, one long agonizing moment after another until I am silently begging in my head, "Please, I just want it to stop, I just want to end, I can't live this way." No one seems to notice that I am slowly being crushed, that the simple things they take for granted - working, playing, socializing, laughing, cleaning... living - are beyond my strength to reach let alone do. I worry that because they cannot see the mountain of depression weighing me down, they will think me weak, or broken, or lazy... flawed in some socially unacceptable way. I become too anxious of how they must certainly judge me to ask for help. I become paralyzed, alone, under that mountain, helpless to do anything but let it swallow me up, hoping that it will just make me disappear beneath it, even as I am desperate to escape so I can simply breathe. My anxiety of interacting with others makes me feel I have to tackle it alone. And yet, the enormity of my depression means I cannot tackle it alone. I am trapped between these two pressures - anxiety and depression, alone, sinking, my life, my being, my identity reduced to a hollowness that is crushed as easily as an eggshell. In that think layer, there is no room for joy, no room for pleasure, no room for hope, no room for thought. It feels like existence, but it no longer feels like life.
Natureman
Have you ever sat in a bus and people were laughing and you immediately thought it was about you ? something you wore that might have been funny or your looks ? that's a perfect example of low self esteem and anxiety. those people probably never noticed you but your self worth is so low you assume they think bad about you ?. Quick to feel tired, not having interest in previous hobbies, when people ask you how things are you always answer fine ? pretend nothing is wrong but when you are awake in bed you think and you think and it keeps going but your thoughts never have a goal ? for me that's what it was like to have depression. of course people noticed but you tell them you have changed, become more mature but deep down you know you need help. go and get it.
Anonymous
January 21st, 2016 8:49pm
It feels like hell. You don't feel well. You're afraid to be alone but also want to be alone. You feel like there's no way out there. You're too tired to do anything. Life gets very hard.
SylwiaB
January 23rd, 2016 3:43am
anxiety is the feeling you get when you miss a step by accident but it's longer and happens more often
Mike8448
January 31st, 2016 2:42pm
Feeling tired or very anxious. Nothing seems interesting and the future seems hopeless. It is as if the whole world has gone gray.
Anonymous
It’s crippling… You don’t feeling like waking up. You feel exhausted. You just want to sleep all day. You become hypersensitive towards everything; even the slightest noise startles you. You avoid social situations like school, work, gatherings, etc. You become very moody and cranky. You have sudden emotional outbursts. Phones and social media become your nemesis. You want to hate everyone and everything, but have no energy for it. You also become resilient. You learn to find peace with yourself. When you’re happy, you genuinely feel it. You start appreciating little things in life. You become more introspective. You become more observant. You become more empathetic and understanding to other’s misery and pain. You become more generous and kind. You become more helpful. You become a lovely human being. You become calm and strong.
Aia
Depression feels like, waking up one day with all of your motivation gone. Feeling like you don't want to live anymore or feeling like you're worthless. It could happen fresh out of a relationship, or alone, or just when you're stressed out to hell.
Anonymous
like nothing. sometimes you feel nothing, sometimes you feel everything. it really depends on you though, if you read some tumblr post on people who "actually have depression" act and you don't have all those symptoms don't stress about it! everyones different.
Anonymous
Depression to me feels like a tight rope that I am bound with and I have no way out of it. When depressed I feel as if I have lost all hope and my life means meaningless.
lucy2116
This site has pave way for me to meet a man that actually helped me get my lovely husband back home. I saw different testimonies of different spell casters on this site, and I decide to choose one out of them to see if his spell prayers is real. I am testifying back now that prophet prayer is powerful, his spell works for me just within 5days. my husband is back and we are living together happily. Thanks to you prophet. You have really proven to me that these testimonies about you is real.CAN NEVER STOP TALKING ABOUT YOUR TEMPLE HIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS:HOLYPROPHET8@GMAIL.COM CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS
Anonymous
It feels like you want to die but you can't . It feels like you want to drown in a pound of your own tears . You want to cry but also don't want anyone to hear but at the same time also want everyone to hear . You look happy in the eyes of others but from inside you are burning . There's always that burning pain in your chest that you want to get rid of but also at the same time it is what helping you to tolerate . You hate looking weak and emotional in front of people but sometimes you can't just keep it in, you want to cry, you want to scream , you want scratch your skin off. The emotional pain is something that is unbearable. You don't know how to get out of it.