What does depression feel like?

What does depression feel like?
★ This question about Depression was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
January 31st, 2018 11:53pm
No one understands even the closest to you and the best of listeners. Forever fighting negative thoughts and critical voices putting you down making your face go bright red when you talk as all you can hear is negativit from your own head, feeling inadequate and simply not good enough ever,
radiantHoliday71
I'm saying this with all love and respect as a person who has been through depression: read to enriches your understanding about the topic and if you could to help friend facing depression (do not worry if you can not), do not take these answers as suggestion to yourself. Depression is not cool, is not a trend to wear, and prevent it as early as you can. In easy words, I remember depression feels like worst day repeatedly (everyday). Next time I try to recall, it was dying days; you would wish to stay asleep the moment you wake up because.. just can not. Recalling further is triggering me, other fighter can tell you. Nowadays media started to give spotlight to mental health which is good to raise awareness. There are many articles, music, and campaign to remind all fighter they are not alone. They humbly admit they are fighters and they have the platform to raise the issue, so they did. To everyone who is a fan of these artists or ever know, please be smart to filter depression out of styles you are wearing. Depression is not a fashion. But you can extend the message to whom it may concern.
Everythingwillpass18
Like you are in a dark forest, alone, and suddenly there are not even trees that you can look to. You are alone, hurting yourself for no apparent reason and you realise that this darkness comes out of you, and everything is consuming, and you can't breathe properly. Everything is overwhelming and numb at the same time. You cannot stop feeling how you feel, you lose control of everything happening to you (or that's how you feel at least). You feel like you are in a movie, like everything happening is not real, like you are not even living inside of you, you are an spectator on your own "life".
Kace
It is incredibly draining. Hopelessness, loneliness, guilt, shame, it is MUCH MORE than just “being sad”. It can desensitize you to the point suicide seems like the only option to escape those feelings. But you don’t have to suffer alone! Depression is one of the more treatable conditions. Being able to “talk openly” about how you’re feeling, with a trusted friend or professional, can make a big difference. Symptoms can affect appetite, sleep, interest in previously enjoyed hobbies, school performance, work, social life, health...to prevent these debilitating effects, one should seek treatment sooner than later. I wish you the best of luck.
Anonymous
It's like your alive but not living nothing brings you out of this sad helpless state when I was depressed all I did was lay on the couch watching TV and not even laugh or have any emotions to what I was watching I didn't wanna go out to do anything some days I would wake up feeling worse and not even want to shower I didn't care about my appearance didn't brush my teeth nothing I just laid there in almost a catatonic state it's the hardest thing I've ever dealt with and part of the reason why I listen on here.
SoftFaith2004
Depression has many types of feelings and symptoms. They are not always the same in every case. There are many types of depression, we can't define all. I have been depressed for very long time, therefore in my experience it's much I have felt. I can't say all as I can't express my feelings always. Buy I can say, it always (mostly) feels sad, hopeless, overwhelmed and not having interest or motivation in activities. We have anger sometimes too or guilt. We want to let it out so much, and shout so loud, but it is not possible. We feel that life is useless and world is hateful. We hate everything, even ourselves. We may also some time hurt ourselves. We want everything thing which is bad to end for ever and have peace and be happy. We want people to understand us as we can't speak our feelings much. There might be other symptoms involved too. I hope this helped 💙
Anonymous
November 1st, 2014 6:48pm
Gosh, it's pretty hard. Some days, you just don't want to get out bed, because you don't feel like doing anything, or because you're scared you'll get a panic attack. It wears you down, and each day you're paranoid about every single things, and your mind kind of struggles because it cares on the anxiety part, but because of the depression you sometimes feel to tired to care anymore about anything.
LevisCorde
It's hard. It honestly sucks, and the worse they get, the harder they are to get over with. Please talk to someone if you have either of these.
tranquilTree92
It can be isolating, frustrating, lonely, can make you feel ashamed, disappointed, it really depends on the individual experience but most have reported these shared feelings
Anonymous
When you have depression you feel low, when you are anxious you can feel out of control, such like you are not in a state of calm
Anonymous
Feeling upset or empty all of the time and when you actually decide to fight it and get better you worry that you can't because it's too hard or you're afraid to tell other. This makes you even more upset and it goes in a cycle. I think
Dreamz
Anxiety and Depression are very familiar to me. Anxiety is, for example, think of that feeling you get in your stomach when you have to speak in front of people or do something you don't like doing. It's basically that feeling all the time. Rapid heartbeat and breathing problems are just a few of my symptoms. Depression is like seeing everything in gray. Depression makes everything seem alot less happy.
Anonymous
In a depression you have no motivation, no energy, no empathy and no real interest in the world around you. You may even have no positive feelings or thoughts at all. Anxiety will limit your life to just the necessary actions. You may try to avoid activities like leaving the house, going to school or work, taking the elevator or the bus, etc.
compassionatePalm07
depression is like closing myself in a dark room filled with endless thoughts without windows or any place from where light or fresh air can enter and the only thing that is with me is negativity. anxiety feels like being in the middle of a circle of fire that is reducing in size every sec as I am approaching the situation that I scared of and I am asked to jump outside it before the fire gets me, when I don't know how to jump.
meboysen
It's painful. It's like always being on edge but then not having the energy to do anything. Anxiety all the time is especially horrible.
Anonymous
it is like thinking that people around you just do not notice you and does not give crap about you while you were tring to gain your cofidence back
candy37
it sucks . you feel like its the end of the world . one feels numb and weak and not feeling like doing anything . everything inside will ache
Anonymous - Expert in Depression
Here's a clever metaphor - Depression is like trying to peel a potato with a potato. You try and try and try, and can never peel it. Eventually you give up in frustration. And everyone else doesn't understand, they tell you to peel it, some tell you to use a potato peeler and hand you another potato. And the problem is no one else understands how much you are struggling unless they have walked in your shoes. Another way to see it - it's like walking upstream in a river. The people on the banks tell you to work harder, that its all in your head and that you aren't trying. Some say snap out of it, just get out of the water, but they don't try to help you out. Sometimes the current is strong and you feel like you are drowning, and other times it's a shallow pool of water and the travel isn't that bad. But you feel as though you are never out of the water, and that you can never drop your guard. Some people may try and help you out, some may try and sabotage you. But all you can do is fight till you are freed from the river.
frothySmiles42
its like being a in hole feel like you more you dig the deeper it gets and harder it is pull yourself out of that hole to begin with as well unless you have a great support around you and professional help too
Zora17
You feel stuck and paralyzed, leading to hopelessness. You feel this way because the depression and anxiety suck your energy and confidence. You feel worried, but too numb and fatigued to do anything about it, leading to more worry and pressure. Most of the time, you'll be stressed and dislike yourself and the world. It's deep sadness and fear together.
Anonymous
It feels like you're drowning. It feels like you've fallen into a black hole and it feels like there's no way out. It feels like you're in a room split in two by a glass wall. On one side of the room is everyone else and you're on the other side.. Alone. Staring at everyone else wondering why they are all put there and you were put here.
resourcefulCupcake48
It's different for everyone really. Although there are criteria to help diagnosis someone with either depression or anxiety there are such a wide array of symptoms someone can experience that it's impossible to really specify what it would be like.
TalkToMe21
I don't know if it's different for everyone or not, but for me depression is an inability to move, my body is a prison and my mind is trying to break free but can't. My anxiety manifests as irrational paranoia where my mind is split between paranoia and rational.
godsgirlrhizzy
Like being sucked into a dark hole with no way out, and then being sucked further and further into that hole and you can't see any light.
strawberryblossom97
Having depression and/or anxiety is like having part of you permanently covered by a shadow. You feel trapped within yourself.
FriendlyBear95
Anxiety isn't something that's initially obvious to everyone. There is no point in asking someone who's been anxious all their life how they would be without it- they have no way of knowing what life is like without anxiety because it unfortunately plays a part in their understanding of themselves and the world around them. I always had the feeling I had life on 'hard mode' for no obvious reason. I'd put in more effort than everyone else and get far less reward, I couldn't take pressure anything like as well as my peers and had real issues when it came to doing every day things like getting out of bed or making dinner. I was worried all the time, though I didn't entirely understand to what extent. After having my breakdown, I came to the realisation that I was unhealthy, not just physically but also mentally. I'd been neglecting myself for many many years. Now I'm equipped with the correct coping mechanisms to make my days a hell of a lot easier, life doesn't feel like it's on 'hard mode' anymore. I still feel the aches and pains of life, and I'm so glad about that- don't imagine I'm saying life is 'easy' now. It's just right. Sometimes it's hell, sometimes it's fine, but none of that has to do with anxiety anymore. I still 'have' depression and anxiety, but my life is no longer defined by them. You can achieve this too. If you realise you're in a similar boat, or just think you might have some sort of anxiety disorder, please get help. It was what I needed, and neglecting that need cost me a few years of my life I'll never get back!
Anonymous
Anxiety and depression are two of the most common mental health concerns in our society. They are often experienced as a complex set of emotional and functional challenges. Depression is typically characterized by low energy and mood, low self-esteem, and loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities. Anxiety may be a normal reaction to stress, and it can serve as a prompt to deal with difficult situations. However, when anxiety becomes excessive, it may fall under the classification of an anxiety disorder.
Anonymous
I can't answer that for depression. But anxiety feels like a continious (or fases) voice in your head or feeling that stops you from doing things, or stops you from feeling things. It can get to a point that you won't be able to have any control over what those feelings are or when it stops.
ShadowbrookMike0812
Depression and anxiety are awful feelings. It's like the days when you don't want to get up to go to school, but know you should. The difference is with depression, you know you need to get up, but you physically cannot, because the cloud is weighing down on you so heavily. Anxiety is even worse when coupled with depression, because let's say you manage to get out of bed, you've given depression the finger. Here comes anxiety, scaring the hell out of you and confining you to the inside of your room, for fear of judgment from the rest of the world.
drysalvages
Depression and anxiety are like these terrible awkward cousins that keep showing up at your place uninvited and over-staying their welcome. Depression always comes over and takes up all the space on your couch and complains about EVERYTHING. This sucks. Life sucks. YOU suck. But Depression goes on and on for so long that it becomes hard to disagree! Meanwhile, Anxiety's running around the kitchen screaming aobut the house being on fire. You KNOW the house isn't on fire, but Anxiety is just keeps shouting and dropping pots and pans and things to get your attention and it puts your teeth on edge. It's so hard to think, sometimes it's even hard to breathe. Sometimes you forget what it's like to live without these two.