What is the best way to get support for overcoming depression?

Ann Brooks, MSW, LICSW

Thank you for your interest! I am a LICSW licensed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I’m here to listen and I look forward to working with you.

Simplysisiii
you are welcome to send a message to one of us listeners that's what we're here for :) i'll be available to talk to you.
mscoxie
In my opinion, 7 Cups of Tea is the best place to find support for a wide variety of things!! We all go through stuff in our lives and we don't always have a support system. 7cups changes that! :)
kiteRunner97
Acknowledge your problems and accept that you deserve help. Don't hesitate to talk about your feelings with friends and family!
simran14
Give yourself time and sit at a peaceful place which relaxes you...just feel your alive and sort out your feelings and accept them
Anonymous
Family I think.And later maybe you can see a psychiatrist.But I think the most important thing is the family support
Anonymous
It varies with every person, really. Reach out to your immediate support network, whether that be your parents, siblings, extended family, or friends. If you're in college, look into seeking out on-campus resources.
suprqtpie3
Talk to your parents or an adult you know you can trust such as a school counselor, coach, etc. By just reaching out to someone you trust can go a long way.
healingheather
The most ideal way to get support for overcoming depression is to go to someone you know and love, maybe a family member of an older trusted adult, maybe even a friend. That person can hep you to get help from a professional, and will be there for you along the way, to let you vent to them, or just be there for you.
Anonymous
I've found the best way to get support is to find someone who has experienced it and has overcome it. Or someone who can truly understand and can be sympathetic and caring.
faintlyglowing
The best support you can get is through a counselor or a therapist. Find someone who is medically approved to handle cases of depression so they can give you the proper treatment.
Dan21
Through people who have been through it and learned how to live with it, they know what you've been through and how to develop techniques to control your depression. This website is a good place to start until you can talk openly with other people, then maybe move on to local counselling or therapy or talk to a friend or family member who's been through the same thing.
Herequeerandcheering
Talk to those you trust, Try to seek a medical professional if you feel it's getting severe or if you feel he need to.
FluffyCottonSheep
Personally i think it's talking about it. vent it out to someone who's there for you, a therapist or a friend. Keep in mind that your friend isn't trained to handle depression though- so a therapist could be better!
Peter
The best way to get support for depression is to seek medical help. Maybe try therapy, or go see your doctor.
Anonymous
I feel it's to start trying to tell someone you feel close to. To tell them that you are feeling low and you need attention; because demanding attention when you need it is not a bad thing, it's a good thing and I feel that to have even one person on your side when you are suffering from depression is a huge success on your part
Anonymous
Depends on a lot of different things, like where you are in the world and what type of family/friends you have around you - your support system. But there can be alot to gain from groupmovement therapy and/or medication. Its very personal try figuring out what would be the best for you and your way